STrib: Transfer Reggie Lynch gives a practice preview to his game-changing ability

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

For the first time since the preseason (and I was out of town for the spontaneous decision), Gophers coach Richard Pitino invited the media to hang out for about 40 minutes of practice after our usual day-before-games interviews.

It’s also the first time he’s allowed such access during the regular season, much less the meaty Big Ten schedule. I don’t know what brought the change of pace – Pitino joked that he just wanted us to work later; shows what he knows! – but I like it. It was a fun, different environment to see the guys in.

*Pitino used transfer center Reggie Lynch to simulate Purdue big man, senior A.J. Hammons in a defensive and rebounding drill. The Gophers focused on boxing out on one end of the court with a bubble on the rim, then scoring on the other end. When Lynch’s Gold team had the ball, getting the ball inside to him was often the focus, with Maroon instructed to collapse in on him once he got a pass. Lynch still managed to score a few times. “We didn’t shrink that enough!” Pitino yelled once. “That’s AJ Hammons out there.”

*The Gophers definitely have a different look than we’re used to seeing when Lynch is on the floor. In the small bits we got to watch, the 6-10 intimidation factor displayed a couple moves in getting to the basket, some bounce on the boards and a couple times, the blocking skills he was so known for coming in. He made it look easy a couple times. He’ll be fun to watch and change the game for Minnesota’s frontcourt. Pitino is clearly very excited about Lynch's potential.

http://www.startribune.com/transfer...eview-to-his-game-changing-ability/366644311/

Go Gophers!!

Smart move by the coach. Let the reporters get a glimpse of next year for themselves. Nothing to lose.

Good to hear that he thinks Fitzgerald will be one of our best shooters- obviously a huge need, in addition to Lynch's rebounding and defense.

per Marcus: 6-10 transfer Reggie Lynch shows his presence in practic

Not since the Gophers’ open scrimmage last fall had 6-foot-10, 265-pound transfer Reggie Lynch been seen by anyone outside of the program, but coach Richard Pitino let the media watch practice Tuesday night.

Lynch, a former Illinois State center and Edina native, was a brute force in the paint, pulling down rebounds, clogging the lane defensively and showing off an improving offensive post game. Pitino has been raving about what Lynch could bring to the team next season as a potential all-conference big man and NBA prospect.

Lynch simulated Purdue’s 7-foot senior standout A.J. Hammons in practice Tuesday. Gophers centers Bakary Konate and Gaston Diedhiou looked frustrated trying to stop Lynch inside.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/01/2...-reggie-lynch-shows-his-presence-in-practice/

Go Gophers!!

That's good to hear. I know it was at the beginning of the season but in the video at the end of Marcus' article Lynch looks like he is playing against a HS kid when Konate tries to guard him.

Smart move by the coach. Let the reporters get a glimpse of next year for themselves. Nothing to lose.

Yes, and at the same time snuggle up with the media a little bit because he knows the heat this season will be nothing compared to what it will be next November.

Probably a good idea to get the message out to the fans that there are better days coming soon as well. Those of us who are Pollyannas can grasp onto some hope.

I'll be thrilled if he can just get in there and pound the glass and shoot a high percentage. It's really discouraging to see how often our front line has an opportunity to make a play and can't do it because they get pushed out of position or can't secure the ball.

After Amelia's last article you suggested:

(which I thought was very funny) And Pitino then came up with this compelling perspective for her to write about.

Ah. Yes, true. It is a smooth move by Richard. Sid must have special access, he was raving about how good Lynch looked in scrimmages on the Sports Show the other night. Reusse was very unimpressed naturally.

This year has been brutal, much worse than anyone anticipated. The future is bright though. It was a good idea to give the media something positive to write about. I really feel like next year will be a 10 win B1G season. Pollyanna!

I just hope he's an average starting quality center in the B1G. That way Konate can be just another rotational big off the bench.

That's good to hear. I know it was at the beginning of the season but in the video at the end of Marcus' article Lynch looks like he is playing against a HS kid when Konate tries to guard him.

There high school teams with bench players better than Bakary Konate, and I'm not talking about military/prep schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There high school teams with bench players better than Bakary Konate, and I'm not talking about military/prep schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Konate was the only guy who could guard Hammons tonight.

Konate did well tonight

There high school teams with bench players better than Bakary Konate, and I'm not talking about military/prep schools. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moronic comment, particularly after tonight's game. And I am by no means even remotely satisfied with our current situation at C. But do you even watch the games?

Last night was one of Konate's better games and it was against the best center he'll see all year. Progress for sure. I especially loved the strip of Hammons in the first half.

Last night was one of Konate's better games and it was against the best center he'll see all year. Progress for sure. I especially loved the strip of Hammons in the first half.

I liked the fact that he caught the damn ball. We will have a very good passing team next year as well as at least 3 guards that can get by anyone (Mason, McBrayer and Dorsey). Catch the ball and you'll score.

If you're willing to look for it, there is some progress

Moronic comment, particularly after tonight's game. And I am by no means even remotely satisfied with our current situation at C. But do you even watch the games?

Yep. Anyone who saw the game shouldn't be criticizing Bakary about his play last night. He was a + player even with the missed shots from 8-10 feet. He didn't make things easy for Hammons or Haas. Geez, when a guy does show some positive signs, give him credit for it.

Tired of all the losing like everyone else, no one wants 0-9, no one aspires for moral victories, but since the Nebraska debacle I've seen clear progress in how this team is playing & how they're competing. Pitino hasn't lost this team, they're still playing for him, and in a season like this that's something to hang the hat on.

This team will beat someone other than Rutgers. Don't know who, don't know when, but I'll say it's Northwestern, Michigan, or the Badgers. Keep hitchin' up those britches, and keep goin' to work every day.

Yep. Anyone who saw the game shouldn't be criticizing Bakary about his play last night. He was a + player even with the missed shots from 8-10 feet. He didn't make things easy for Hammons or Haas. Geez, when a guy does show some positive signs, give him credit for it.

Tired of all the losing like everyone else, no one wants 0-9, no one aspires for moral victories, but since the Nebraska debacle I've seen clear progress in how this team is playing & how they're competing. Pitino hasn't lost this team, they're still playing for him, and in a season like this that's something to hang the hat on.

This team will beat someone other than Rutgers. Don't know who, don't know when, but I'll say it's Northwestern, Michigan, or the Badgers. Keep hitchin' up those britches, and keep goin' to work every day.

I agree wholeheartedly. Konate actually did some really good things out there last night. Frankly, we've seen plenty of worse big men become solid contributors by their senior years.

As to the part about not losing the team, you can't overestimate how important that is. As frustrating as some of the play has been it would be much worse to lose the young talent to transfer. The effort is there. Also, it's great seeing the bench still be so into the game. For example, when we got within four last night their was a shot of the bench and Fitzgerald was on his feet yelling an fist pumping. A guy like that could easily be wondering what the hell he got himself into but instead is excited for his teammates even when he can't be out there to help.

I was really encouraged by Konate last night. The best thing he did is force Hammons to have to consistently catch the ball a foot or two above the block. That was fantastic off the ball defense and positioning on Konate's part. When BK wasn't in the game, Hammons easily caught the ball on the block and easily scored.

Go Gophers!!

I really thought going into the game that this was going to be the night they got over the hump. They came close. The team is developing right now. Outside of Gaston, every underclassman is getting better.

I was really encouraged by Konate last night. The best thing he did is force Hammons to have to consistently catch the ball a foot or two above the block. That was fantastic off the ball defense and positioning on Konate's part. When BK wasn't in the game, Hammons easily caught the ball on the block and easily scored.

Go Gophers!!

I wonder if Konate is the type of kid where if you give him 1 assignment and only 1 thing to focus on (defense against Hammons and Haas) he does better? It was really good to see him play well. If he could knock down that 8-10 footer next year(at a 50% rate) that would be a huge help.

Another thing that has quietly occurred with the switch to man to man and a little bench time- Buggs is playing good defense. Another funny thing on Buggs last night- he drove hard to the hole for a really nice basket and Pitino smiled and turned toward the assistant with his arms out wide gesturing to the effect that Buggs could probably do that a whole lot more often and be a pretty darn good player- but he just doesn't do it. Maybe progress is being made there as well.

Another thing that has quietly occurred with the switch to man to man and a little bench time- Buggs is playing good defense. Another funny thing on Buggs last night- he drove hard to the hole for a really nice basket and Pitino smiled and turned toward the assistant with his arms out wide gesturing to the effect that Buggs could probably do that a whole lot more often and be a pretty darn good player- but he just doesn't do it. Maybe progress is being made there as well.

I'd like to see Buggs turn it around and be a contributor next year. But realistically, I think there is less than a 50% chance he is even on the team next year. A whole lot of what could have been there...

Buggs was still doing buggs things last night. He's damn lucky that hard foul wasn't a flagrant.

Was one transition bucket in the 2nd half that he jogged back and watch the ball dribble right down the middle and score on a 2-1.

Couple turnovers trying to dribble without going anywhere. Couple late clock situations where he passed up decent look to put mason in a worse spot.

He is improving. And I didn't notice him pouting last night either.

Top Bottom