STrib: Transfer Akeem Springs "changed the tone" in Gophers practice, Richard Pitino

BleedGopher

Reaction score
STrib: Transfer Akeem Springs "changed the tone" in Gophers practice, Richard Pitino

per Marcus:

Gophers coach Richard Pitino has seen enough of senior Akeem Springs in the first few practices to already notice a big difference with the way his team performs with him on the court.

Pitino said Tuesday that Springs, a graduate transfer from Wisconsin-Milwaukee, has "changed the tone" of practice since his arrival in August.

"Akeem Springs has come in and provided great leadership," Pitino said. "A lot better than I ever thought he would. He's come in with great confidence, maybe it's because he came in (with Milwaukee) and beat us last year. He should be confident."

http://www.startribune.com/transfer...phers-practice-richard-pitino-says/395864351/

Go Gophers!!

Good. I can't remember a great floor leader on the Gophers in many years, and particularly the past two. Time for someone to step up and be a leader on the floor and in the locker room.

Junior Bakary Konate replaced Lynch as the starting center in practice. Freshman Eric Curry also played the position with some of the first group. But the starters at this point appear to be junior guard Nate Mason, Springs, freshman guard Amir Coffey, sophomore forward Jordan Murphy and Konate

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's good to hear about Curry. I always find it interesting that when some guys go on to college the game is too fast for them, but others seem to fit right in or even excell with the new speed. There is nothing like playing better competition to find out how good you really can be and where your true strengths and weaknesses are.

Junior Bakary Konate replaced Lynch as the starting center in practice. Freshman Eric Curry also played the position with some of the first group. But the starters at this point appear to be junior guard Nate Mason, Springs, freshman guard Amir Coffey, sophomore forward Jordan Murphy and Konate

Interesting that Coffey is already running with the first group, the increased depth should improve competition and one can only hope player development.

Just saw an interview that Doogie did with Murphy and Murph said Curry is more skilled than he was as a Freshman.

I'm really excited to see this team in action. Going to go in with really low expectations though.

Just saw an interview that Doogie did with Murphy and Murph said Curry is more skilled than he was as a Freshman.

I wouldn't be surprised if any big man was more skilled than Murphy, heck I might even suggest that Konate is more "skilled" in the post than Murphy. Difference is that very few have his athleticism, motor and physical gifts. My hope is that Murphy's skills match his gifts, and Curry is as gifted as Murphy is too.

Those two could be a force to reckon with for the next 3 years if Curry truly is as talented as we are being told he is.

If Curry is legit, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start at the 5 next season and then bring Lynch off the bench to conserve his fouls.

Right - a 3 man rotation of Murph, Lynch, and Curry at 4 & 5 is going to be really nice over the next few years. Then you always have Konate when there's foul trouble.

I'm really excited to see this team in action. Going to go in with really low expectations though.
Can it get any lower than last year? Increase wins by 100% and we'll still suck. In that light I have high expectations for this squad.

Have to say I'm surprised McBrayer isn't in the starting rotation - makes me more excited for Springs though.

So our rotation should look like

Mason / McBrayer
Springs / McBrayer
Coffey / Fitzgerald / Hurt
Murphy / Curry / Fitzgerald
Lynch / Curry / Konate

Have to say that looks pretty good on paper. IMO a lot depends on Mason, and whoever is playing center. 2-3-4 I feel pretty good about.

McBrayer's role is crucial as our second point guard/ball handler, also backing up (maybe starting, who knows) at the 2 guard spot. Lots of minutes for Dupree any way you slice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBrayer's role is crucial as our second point guard/ball handler, also backing up (maybe starting, who knows) at the 2 guard spot. Lots of minutes for Dupree any way you slice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. Even if he's not starting, he'll be vital off the bench.

Have to say I'm surprised McBrayer isn't in the starting rotation - makes me more excited for Springs though.

So our rotation should look like

Mason / McBrayer
Springs / McBrayer
Coffey / Fitzgerald / Hurt
Murphy / Curry / Fitzgerald
Lynch / Curry / Konate

Have to say that looks pretty good on paper. IMO a lot depends on Mason, and whoever is playing center. 2-3-4 I feel pretty good about.

You don't feel good about Mason? He's probably the most proven player on the team.

You don't feel good about Mason? He's probably the most proven player on the team.
Yep, if Nate can improve his shooting efficiency, he has a legit shot at possibly being all 2nd or 3rd team Big Ten.

If Konate starts I will be disappointed. Though I understand it is early October

Top Bottom