STrib: Speculation on Gophers football target starts with hot commodity P.J. Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

When Mark Coyle fired Syracuse football coach Scott Shafer in 2015, he was interested in talking to Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck, but he did not interview, according to a person familiar with that situation.

On Tuesday, speculation immediately turned toward a Coyle-Fleck union again, when Coyle, in his current role as Gophers athletic director, fired coach Tracy Claeys. Fleck heads a list of potential candidates who might be the fit Coyle is looking for moving forward.

Other names to watch include Boise State coach Bryan Harsin, former LSU coach Les Miles, Wyoming coach Craig Bohl and North Dakota State coach Chris Klieman, who was quarterback on Coyle’s high school team at Waterloo (Iowa) Columbus Catholic.

Coyle has made two coaching hires in a little more than three years. As the AD at Boise State in December 2013, Coyle hired Harsin to replace Chris Petersen, who had left for Washington. And Coyle hired Dino Babers to replace Shafer in December 2015 after talks with Fleck didn’t pan out.

Fleck, 36, has been one of the hottest names in the country this season, with his named tied at one point to openings at Purdue, Oregon and Cincinnati, among others.

http://www.startribune.com/speculat...tarts-with-hot-commodity-p-j-fleck/409608825/

Go Gophers!!

Well, he has about a week or next season is going to be an extra large sh!t sandwich. Fleck and Miles don't do much for me. Coyle needs to make a splash. Chip Kelly would be my choice but I can't be much smarter than Mark Coyle considering I keep putting myself through this garbage.

I'm convinced that Coyle has had Fleck in mind from the time he took the AD job. I don't believe for a second that they haven't already had talks. I fully expect him to be hired by the end of the week.

I wouldn't mind Kleiman from NDSU getting a shot. I think he would retain a few pieces of the staff and that would help with continuity. I want nothing to do with the motivational speaker Fleck or Bohl from Wyoming. What part of the 6.5 million dollar buyout do guys like Rosen and Christensen and the media not get about Craig Bohl. Bohl isn't going to be the Gophers coach. The U isn't paying a 6.5 million dollar buyout to Wyoming, and they have very few deep pocketed boosters (who are not already not pissed off at the U for this scandal) that will pay the buyout. At least if we moved on Kleimen quickly from NDSU there would be a chance to save a few recruits and people from leaving. I would rather smack PJ Fleck with an oar than grab one as a ticket holder, his motivations speeches make me want to puke.

Fleck is perfect for the job. Minnesota hasn't won anything of significance in 55 years and needs someone who's not afraid to think outside the box to get the program back to that level. Especially one who has already proved he can build up and run a college program.

He's a Midwest guy who runs a ball control, run first offense, which fits well in the B1G and is not too different from what is currently run. I don't think there would be a ton of changes schematically, which fits the personnel already here. With his ability to motivate and recruit, along with the new facilities, he could increase the talent to win at the highest level here.

Randy Sanders FSU OC has been contacted according to FSU booster friend of mine.

I'm convinced that Coyle has had Fleck in mind from the time he took the AD job. I don't believe for a second that they haven't already had talks. I fully expect him to be hired by the end of the week.

You may be right. That might help explain why the lucrative new extension which WMU was hashing out with Fleck and his people has been on hold since early December. At that time the extension seemed to be imminent and all but a signed and done deal, but then Fleck put on the brakes, supposedly so as not to distract the team from bowl preparation, but who knows.

Randy Sanders FSU OC has been contacted according to FSU booster friend of mine.

Fans will be furious if we end up with some coordinator as our head coach.

Fleck is perfect for the job. Minnesota hasn't won anything of significance in 55 years and needs someone who's not afraid to think outside the box to get the program back to that level. Especially one who has already proved he can build up and run a college program.

He's a Midwest guy who runs a ball control, run first offense, which fits well in the B1G and is not too different from what is currently run. I don't think there would be a ton of changes schematically, which fits the personnel already here. With his ability to motivate and recruit, along with the new facilities, he could increase the talent to win at the highest level here.

Except the existing players will hate him, and he will favor any and all recruits he brings in. Fleck, isn't the guy we need and he would cost way to much. I sense as much Brewster in him as I did at the time Brewster was hired. I was pushing hard for Jerry Kill at the time he was hired because he is what I thought we needed to dig out of a deep hole and bring program stability. The hole isn't quite as deep this time, and we need someone else, not just because this Fleck guy is the hot shot commodity. Lane Kiffin was once the same hot shot Fleck is and we all know how that has turned out. We are not in the same boat this time, but this seems a lot like the rushed Mason Brewster firing, hiring situation that we all get to relive.

I would rather smack PJ Fleck with an oar than grab one as a ticket holder, his motivations speeches make me want to puke.

I'm with you there. Last thing we need is a self serving media hog with a lame catch phrase. If I have to listen to him spout off about rowing a boat, while he's just here on a resume-enhancing mission, I'll just wait till they hire the next guy before I go to any more games.

What a complete shot in the dark that would appear to be. Far as I'm aware, Sanders has absolutely NO (as in zero, zip, nada) connection to the Midwest much less the Big Ten. He's been working in SEC football since 1989, which speaks to his quality as a coach I suppose, but yet in all that time he's never had a head coaching gig. Kind of makes a guy wonder...

SEC guy for going on 30 years who's never been a head coach? Sounds like a perfect fit at Minnesota!

When did Florida state join the sec?

Well of course you know they haven't. That was my bad. Anyway, Sanders from 1989-2012 coached in the SEC. The question I'm trying to wrap my head around is why on earth would we have any possible interest in this guy, as there appears to be no visible connection there whatsoever. It seems like he could not possibly be a more random person of interest for the head coaching position at the University of Minnesota, but maybe there's something more to him. If true, it's just odd, very odd.

Some PJ Fleck words and phrases that you should get used to for when he becomes our head coach.

"Row the Boat"

"If you surround yourself with turds, you're headed towards Turdville."

"Elite"

F.A.M.I.L.Y- Forget about me, I love you

"Change Your Best"

Oh and there are more, MANY more.

Some PJ Fleck words and phrases that you should get used to for when he becomes our head coach.

"Row the Boat"

"If you surround yourself with turds, you're headed towards Turdville."

"Elite"

F.A.M.I.L.Y- Forget about me, I love you

"Change Your Best"

Oh and there are more, MANY more.

Highly eloquent stuff.

Big Ten titles are "not of significance" now?

None of these coaches mentioned do it for me. Coyle better have something better. I'm sure he doesn't, he's too incompetent. I'm glad I went to the BWW Citrus bowl. At the time we were joking about it being the only January 1st bowl game the gophers will play in my life time. Now I don't think that's a joke and I'm pretty much convinced it's the truth.

Why would our AD blather on about wanting a program of great moral character and integrity and then hire a coach who has been rumored to like f**king other men's wives ?

Why would our AD blather on about wanting a program of great moral character and integrity and then hire a coach who has been rumored to like f**king other men's wives ?

Players branded as rapists without proof destroys their reputations...THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!

Coach branded adulterer without proof...gee, let me help spread that rumor on the internet.

Big Ten titles are "not of significance" now?

55 years since last Rose Bowl win, 50 years since last Big Ten co championship. That extra 5 years makes it seem so much better...

So we're not going to hire someone based on rumors? I'm sure you could dig up rumors on any coach.

Randy Sanders?

Thank god we are only looking at coaches who didn't coach players involved in an infamous sexual assault case.

Also, if a name like Randy Sanders doesn't pull back in the casual fan, I don't know what will.

So we're not going to hire someone based on rumors? I'm sure you could dig up rumors on any coach.

I really hope the rumors have nothing to do with our next hire. I don't trust the U will be able to make a logical choice and ignore that noise.

55 years since last Rose Bowl win, 50 years since last Big Ten co championship. That extra 5 years makes it seem so much better...

Wow, you REALLY have a tough time admitting when you're wrong, don't you? Admitting error is a sign of strength, not weakness. It's ok, you'll get there eventually.

Wow, you REALLY have a tough time admitting when you're wrong, don't you? Admitting error is a sign of strength, not weakness. It's ok, you'll get there eventually.

I always admit when I was wrong. I just corrected myself and posted it for you and everyone to see. You're nit picking over 5 years. It's still been freaking 50 years.

I always admit when I was wrong. I just corrected myself and posted it for you and everyone to see. You're nit picking over 5 years. It's still been freaking 50 years.

Oh, so it's "nit picking" when someone is 5 years off? Ok, since 5 years is no big deal, how about you give me all the money you earn over the next 5 years?

Oh, so it's "nit picking" when someone is 5 years off? Ok, since 5 years is no big deal, how about you give me all the money you earn over the next 5 years?

Yeah it's pretty insignificant comparing 50 to 55 years ago, when a good portion of the people who post on here weren't alive for either. You want to talk about Fleck? I know you've liked him since last year.

Top Bottom