STrib: Sophie Hart Returns Home with Big Goals

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Marcus Fuller:

Sophie Hart's 6-5 frame towered over a group of girls at last week's Gophers women's basketball youth camp inside the Athletes Village.

Hart's physical presence demanded their attention. Her personality and ability to connect with players stood out even more to first-year Gophers coach Dawn Plitzuweit.

"The energy was incredible," Plitzuweit said. "In our program we really believe every moment matters. Everything you do stacks upon itself. What you do in one area will carry over and help us on the basketball court as well."

Hart's energy and leadership has also been apparent with her teammates this summer. After sitting out as a North Carolina State transfer last season, the Farmington native is confident she can make an impact as a junior center under Plitzuweit.

"I want to be a dominant post player," Hart said. "I want to help my team win, whatever my role might be doing that."

Hart sez:

"I consider myself a true post and back-to-basket player," Hart said. "If you look back at South Dakota, they had Hannah. And so, you could watch that film and see how they used her down low."

Hart's energy and leadership has also been apparent with her teammates this summer. After sitting out as a North Carolina State transfer last season, the Farmington native is confident she can make an impact as a junior center under Plitzuweit.

Seeing as it says Junior, I’m guessing she didn’t get approved for a redshirt.

The video above was put together by an agency that wanted Hannah to sign a pro deal with them. But it is very representative of the work that Coach P and her staff put in to develop her talent, to give her the confidence to go up against not only Myah Selland of the Summitt League, but also Aaliyah Boston, Leticia Amihere, Shakira Austin, Nalyssa Smith, etc… Additionally, this level of commitment to development was there for every player that wanted to put in the time and effort to get better. That’s who Coach P is.

The video above was put together by an agency that wanted Hannah to sign a pro deal with them. But it is very representative of the work that Coach P and her staff put in to develop her talent, to give her the confidence to go up against not only Myah Selland of the Summitt League, but also Aaliyah Boston, Leticia Amihere, Shakira Austin, Nalyssa Smith, etc… Additionally, this level of commitment to development was there for every player that wanted to put in the time and effort to get better. That’s who Coach P is.
Is Hannah playing basketball in the U.S. or Europe?

Is Hannah playing basketball in the U.S. or Europe?
I believe in Australia. In fact I just saw her name mentioned as part of an ugly firing/lawsuit situation involving former Wolf Shane Heal.

Seeing as it says Junior, I’m guessing she didn’t get approved for a redshirt.
I think she was a mid year transfer, which means she would have to sit one semester to count as a redshirt. So that is a choice that may need to be made by coaching staff and player. Maybe someone here with more intimate knowledge of her situation can confirm or refute this.

Star Tribune had mentioned something about her applying for a waiver by the NCAA. That implied an exception. She hardly played that season and left towards earlier. But my guess is they will say she played so no. Just a guess.

Star Tribune had mentioned something about her applying for a waiver by the NCAA. That implied an exception. She hardly played that season and left towards earlier. But my guess is they will say she played so no. Just a guess.
Any idea what would be the basis for a hardship waiver? There is neither player nor family illness/injury involved, correct? Benchwarmer minutes shouldn’t count hardly seems like a valid basis for a hardship waiver. Very different than Banham getting an extra year due to injury.

Top Bottom