STrib: Rhoda might start next week against Rutgers, at least.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Start with quarterback. Rhoda, a former walk-on, played the first meaningful snaps of his college career with Mitch Leidner out with a concussion. Leidner stayed home to rest this weekend, and there is still no timetable for his return.

So Rhoda might start next week against Rutgers, at least. He had a turnover-free day against Maryland and completed seven of 15 passes for 82 yards — classic game manager mode.

But something happened before Smith’s run that’s worth noting. Rhoda went to the line for the third-and-1 play, read Maryland’s defense and audibled.

“They were bringing a blitz, and we were able to see that and get checked over, to run away from it,” Rhoda said.

Rhoda led Smith into the “two hole” between the center and right guard.

Bingo.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-offense-takes-step-in-right-direction-vs-maryland/397255471/

Go Gophers!!

Well I mean it's Rutgers and we knew Mitch hasn't been cleared yet.

Concussions are nothing to dork around with.

If Mitch is still not 100% by this weekend I wouldn't play him against Rutgers. Rhoda did well enough to feel somewhat confident with him under center against a terrible Rutgers team. As long as the defense keeps playing the way it has of late the running game should be able to do enough to the point where Rhoda once again just needs to manage the game and avoid big mistakes.

So what happens if Rhoda has a really nice game...like 14/20 for 170, couple pass TDs, no turnovers...and the Gophs win big?

So what happens if Rhoda has a really nice game...like 14/20 for 170, couple pass TDs, no turnovers...and the Gophs win big?

Naw they'll just run.

Even if he starts hot, like for some reason he gets a lot of chances to pass, it hard to imagine we wouldn't just use that as a segway into a run game anyway.

With a lead we'd just shift into run game again and move on rather than have Rhoda continue to toss it around / risk ints.

If he plays and gets better, he becomes the front runner to start next year. I think that would lead to a 2 QB rotation.

Considering we are likely to be heavy favorites going into the game I don't think lighting up Rutgers will have any affect on what happens when Mitch is healthy, he will and should be the starter.

This would mean that Mitch will return to start when healthy and Rhoda improves his chances of taking the reins next year.

Understandable, concussions seem like a crapshoot.

Fortunately it has been just a week so let's see how it goes.

Agree, plus with Rutgers on the schedule there is no reason to rush him back. Give him time to get healthy for the times when we are likely to really need him. Not saying we can take Rutgers for granted but if we play anything like we are capable of playing we shouldn't have much trouble with them.

Agree, plus with Rutgers on the schedule there is no reason to rush him back. Give him time to get healthy for the times when we are likely to really need him. Not saying we can take Rutgers for granted but if we play anything like we are capable of playing we shouldn't have much trouble with them.

Yeah if we can play like we did vs Maryland and Rutgers is as bad as folks say. Should be fine. Still would like to see fewer pre snap flags.... but we should be ok.

I would be too because it was a dirty hit by the Iowa player.

I'm starting to get a little worried about Mitch.

Not that it would have changed outcome of game but that was a dirty hit by the Iowa player with the crown of his helmet on Mitch that the referee completely missed. It was a shot to the chin and face mask area. Getting jaw jacked causes the worst kind of effects just like getting in a car crash. If he is not symptom free by week three, then I will start to worry even more.

Rhoda, is new like a shiny penny, he doesn't fit the narrative that Leidner has been holding us back that is why the Daily Gopher folks think he is better already. We need Mitch in our November games, you don't go on the road to Nebraska or Wisconsin and have your last home game against Northwestern at home hoping your back QB will still be playing. In these series of games we may be able to see the Gophers get by with the back up quarterback. Once you step up the competition level it will be a lot harder.

Naw they'll just run.

Even if he starts hot, like for some reason he gets a lot of chances to pass, it hard to imagine we wouldn't just use that as a segway into a run game anyway.

With a lead we'd just shift into run game again and move on rather than have Rhoda continue to toss it around / risk ints.

Doesn't really answer my "what if"...

Reading up on the concussion protocol it's 5 steps starting at zero or base line
0. Symptom free. No concussion symptoms for 24 hrs.
1. Light aerobic exercise
2. Moderate exercise
3. Heavy exercise
4. Practice with contact
5. Full participation.
It's just a guess but if Mitch is listed as out on the position chart he's at 3 or less.

Claeys said he just passed a step on Sunday but didn't say which one. If I were a betting man I would say they start Rhoda. Rutgers is in full rebuild mode right now.

It just isn't likely that they'll rely on the pass enough for it to happen.

From what we saw last week nothing makes me think he explodes via Rutgers even if given the chance.

Claeys said he just passed a step on Sunday but didn't say which one. If I were a betting man I would say they start Rhoda. Rutgers is in full rebuild mode right now.
I have no doubt Rhoda starts, I was just pointing out that when the position chart comes out, we'll be able to guess where Leidners at. If he's practicing he might be listed as questionable, if he's not, then he'll be listed as out.

I don't honestly think there is anything Rhoda can do against Rutgers that would unseat Mitch from the starters role when he is healthy enough to take over. Had Rhoda lit it up against Maryland and followed that up with a dominant performance against Rutgers maybe there would be some rumblings but Rutgers is so bad that dominating them wouldn't be enough to justify replacing a 5th year senior.

Beat Nebraska

I don't honestly think there is anything Rhoda can do against Rutgers that would unseat Mitch from the starters role when he is healthy enough to take over. Had Rhoda lit it up against Maryland and followed that up with a dominant performance against Rutgers maybe there would be some rumblings but Rutgers is so bad that dominating them wouldn't be enough to justify replacing a 5th year senior.
I want Mitch to have fresh legs and a fresh brain.

Who was the big OL that was a highly rated recruit that never did come back from was it one concussion , or a couple?

I agree, but if he also starts at Illinois and has another nice performance along with a win, it could make things interesting.

Depends on your definition of nice performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom