STrib Reusse: Gophers men's hockey program and fans are all the way back as the big chill ends

SHGopher

Reaction score

A loaded lineup and a sold-out arena -- this is a great comeback for Minnesota hockey. And there's no reason to think the momentum will die off anytime soon after the sparse crowds of a few years ago.

A loaded lineup and a sold-out arena -- this is a great comeback for Minnesota hockey. And there's no reason to think the momentum will die off anytime soon after the sparse crowds of a few years ago.
Just win. That's all it takes in Minnesota.

Lose, and the crowds don't come. That's all it takes in Minnesota.

Just win. That's all it takes in Minnesota.

Lose, and the crowds don't come. That's all it takes in Minnesota.
Sid Hartman said that so many times I am surprised it is not on his gravestone. (May not see eye-to-eye with everything he reported, but in this instance could not agree more.)

The Big ten needs to add more teams. Whether that is ASU and two new teams at big ten schools or whatever they just need more teams.

Never called it a good thing. Simply saying it was premature to say that it killed our program, which was a popular thought 5-6 years ago.
I have really come around on this. I was really against the move to Big Ten Hockey when it happened. But I like it more each year. As hockey becomes more of a national sport, I think Big Ten Hockey will continue to grow and get better, and it will hurt the other conferences a bit. Ultimately, when some of the top recruits in Minnesota are regularly choosing Ohio State and PSU over St. Cloud or Mankato... Big Ten Hockey will have officially "arrived."

The Big ten needs to add more teams. Whether that is ASU and two new teams at big ten schools or whatever they just need more teams.
Agreed. Seems to me that Rutgers, Nebraska, Illinois, or Purdue could field teams if they wanted. Maybe even Iowa. But it is hard to imagine the Hawkeyes having hockey. Just seems counter to the rules of the universe.

Not a fan of the Big Ten. Ruined the best conference and best rivalries in the WCHA. I mean come on the Final Five was the best weekend of hockey to be had. Damn I miss that

Not a fan of the Big Ten. Ruined the best conference and best rivalries in the WCHA. I mean come on the Final Five was the best weekend of hockey to be had. Damn I miss that
Indeed it did. I miss it too and wish we could resurrect it. But I know those days aren't coming back. And I have to admit that I now care much more about beating the Big Ten rivals, than I do about beating, or even playing, UMD, Colorado College, Denver and other schools like that. I don't even feel the same level of dislike for our friends in Grand Forks anymore. Well... maybe I shouldn't get carried away.

Indeed it did. I miss it too and wish we could resurrect it. But I know those days aren't coming back. And I have to admit that I now care much more about beating the Big Ten rivals, than I do about beating, or even playing, UMD, Colorado College, Denver and other schools like that. I don't even feel the same level of dislike for our friends in Grand Forks anymore. Well... maybe I shouldn't get carried away.
Absolutely loved when UND came here. Yeah they have some dick fans like any other school but the games were always playoff type intense. Yeah those days are long gone but damn I miss them

Yep. No real reason for Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, and Maryland not to have men's and women's teams. All are in regions with very good HS hockey. Love to have ASU for road trip weekends. That gets B1G to 12. Heck, maybe USC and UCLA could look at it.

Absolutely loved when UND came here. Yeah they have some dick fans like any other school but the games were always playoff type intense. Yeah those days are long gone but damn I miss them
I miss the wcha too but we still play UND every year and at least a couple of SCSU MSU UMD

Yep. I am amazed so many people recite this idea as if it was some novel concept that Sid discovered or that it is somehow unique to this market.
It’s because a lot of people wanted to use the big ten as the boogeyman for everything that went wrong. No doubt that played a part but more than anything people want to see a winner. Had we been competing for titles in 2018 attendance would have been fine

It’s because a lot of people wanted to use the big ten as the boogeyman for everything that went wrong. No doubt that played a part but more than anything people want to see a winner. Had we been competing for titles in 2018 attendance would have been fine
The thought that they haven't been a winning team since the conference started is just not true. Almost won it all in the first year of the conference. A couple Frozen four appearances. No doubt Motzko has injected more buzz and they play a more exciting type of game.

The best team I've seen live is the 01-02 one, followed closely by the 88-89 squad. This team could pass both in my eyes.

The thought that they haven't been a winning team since the conference started is just not true. Almost won it all in the first year of the conference. A couple Frozen four appearances. No doubt Motzko has injected more buzz and they play a more exciting type of game.

The best team I've seen live is the 01-02 one, followed closely by the 88-89 squad. This team could pass both in my eyes.
Yes I know. We went to the title game the first year of the big ten. And attendance wasn’t awful that year. I’m just saying there’s a crowd out there with an agenda that has tried to blame every shortcoming of this program on the big ten.

Yes I know. We went to the title game the first year of the big ten. And attendance wasn’t awful that year. I’m just saying there’s a crowd out there with an agenda that has tried to blame every shortcoming of this program on the big ten.
Agree.

I have really come around on this. I was really against the move to Big Ten Hockey when it happened. But I like it more each year. As hockey becomes more of a national sport, I think Big Ten Hockey will continue to grow and get better, and it will hurt the other conferences a bit. Ultimately, when some of the top recruits in Minnesota are regularly choosing Ohio State and PSU over St. Cloud or Mankato... Big Ten Hockey will have officially "arrived."
Pretty much the same with me. I basically boycotted for a few years and returned a couple years ago. U of M students now don’t really have that WCHA connection, it‘s mostly us older graduates.

Pretty much the same with me. I basically boycotted for a few years and returned a couple years ago. U of M students now don’t really have that WCHA connection, it‘s mostly us older graduates.
The older graduates remember when Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame were part of the WCHA.

A depressing loss in the postseason…
Gopher hockey is truly back!

Top Bottom