STrib: Recruits leave the glory days of high school to get a leg up

thanks for the heads up. would you mind just pasting the text of the article in this thread? with the minneapolis tribune's 20 articles max per month policy for non-subscribers a lot of us are not able to go to these links you always post.

yes...I've pretty much given up on the Tribune because of the article restriction. My only hope is that enough people get fed up with it so that it starts to impact their advertising revenue forcing them to drop the limitation. I understand the reason for trying to get folks to subscribe, but if their total visits drop sufficiently, I would hope that advertisers would request they eliminate it. I am switching my allegance to the Pioneer Press - its all that a transplanted Minnesotan living out east can do! My only regret on this decision is that I will not be able to keep track of any new "close personal friends" that Sid claims he has...

a little trick for the Strib: It's more effort than you may want to do, but in that couple of seconds after you click on an article if you 'select all' you can copy in paste it in a word document. Maybe more trouble than it's worth, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Tip: When a page is loading for an article, hit the "stop" button before it can load the entire page. This stops it from loading the pop up regarding the membership. Works like a charm.

Recruits leave the glory days of high school to get a leg up

The Gophers are part of a trend in which prep players -- such as Jordan Hinojosa -- graduate early and start college in time for spring practice.
Article by: PHIL MILLER , Star Tribune

Updated: January 17, 2012 - 6:37 AM

Jordan Hinojosa will start college and join the Gophers football team this week, several months ahead of other freshman-class teammates, and it's an achievement that required some sacrifice. In order to graduate from Miami Central High School a semester ahead of schedule, while also turning himself into a Big Ten-worthy recruit, the defensive lineman basically had to forgo ... wait, what exactly did he give up again?

"Basically, being a teenager in Miami," said Jordan's father, Norton Hinojosa. "Jet Skis, pools, hanging out with friends. He didn't get to have much fun."

No, and it's not exactly a party from now on, either. Hinojosa is willingly trading breezes off Biscayne Bay for a Minnesota winter, pad-the-transcript electives for college prerequisites, big man on campus for the freshman dorm. And the payoff won't come, he understands, for months, maybe years. It's a passionate attitude, an impressive commitment, and one that more recruits are making all the time. Hinojosa is one of at least four Gophers recruits who have chosen to speed up their graduation, pass up a victory-lap semester in high school and sign up for college classes and winter workouts.

"I want to be the best," Hinojosa said resolutely. "I'm sacrificing a lot. Last summer was grueling -- I had practice, lifting or class from 9 to 7:30 every day, so it felt like I was giving up my life. I never got to kick back. But I'm absolutely dedicated to football. To the victor go the spoils, and I know someday that will be me."

In addition to the benefits, tangible and otherwise, of starting college a half-year early, it's a remarkable demonstration of the players' zeal for college football.

"I can't wait to play. That's the biggest thing to me -- doing whatever it takes to get on the field as soon as possible," said Mankato West quarterback Philip Nelson, who moved onto campus over the weekend. "I told Coach [Jerry] Kill, 'How soon can I start?'"

The answer is: Today, when Nelson attends his first class on the Minneapolis campus even though signing day isn't until Feb. 1. But the fact that the prep star asked the question was crucial, too, because Kill is aware of the sacrifice required from the early entrants.

"We never talk [recruits] into it. The ones who do it are kids who mention it to us," said Kill, speaking generally because he is prohibited by NCAA rules from commenting on specific recruits. "Sometimes a parent will go, 'What do you think?' I may say, 'Hey, this could be a good opportunity if you want to do it,' but they have to be sure, because you're asking a lot."

'Spring football, that's huge'

The players believe they're gaining a lot by doing it, too. Once they are enrolled, they can take part in strength coach Eric Klein's offseason workouts. They can adjust to college life away from the craziness of two-a-day fall practices, settle into a routine and tackle the normal freshman homesickness. They can bank a semester's worth of credits, lightening the academic load later in their career. They can take part in spring practices, absorbing the playbook and the football staff's routine.

"Spring football, that's huge," said Mitch Leidner, who graduated last month from Lakeville South and now is a roommate of the fourth early arrival, defensive tackle Scott Ekpe of Lewisville, Texas. "As a quarterback, learning the offense, getting some reps right away, it's definitely an advantage."

It's an advantage that the incoming freshmen believe might help them avoid a redshirt. "I'll be a step ahead of the other commitments at my position," Hinojosa said. "I fully intend to play as a freshman, and this gives me a chance to do it.''

Kill has seen mixed results

That chance worked out for receiver Marcus Jones, who followed the same academic path a year ago. Jones, who graduated early from Wake Forest-Rolesville (N.C.) High School, caught Kill's attention with a strong spring, and was on the field for every Gophers game until injuring a knee against Nebraska.

"It worked out pretty well for Marcus, but it's not for everybody. We had a quarterback at Southern Illinois who tried it, and it didn't work out," Kill said. "Last year, [offensive lineman] Tommy Olson could have done it, but he wanted to go through his senior year, and I was OK with it. You see more and more kids trying it now, but I don't blame anybody" for staying in high school.

That's because of all the activities that prep players forgo. For Leidner, "it meant giving up basketball, which is hard," he said. "But I just decided, I love football, so it's worth it."

And at least in-state recruits still can take part in commencement exercises in May, should they choose to. For out-of-staters, high school is officially over.

Hinojosa's graduation ceremony, the teenager said, will amount to "stopping by [Miami Central] over spring break and picking up my diploma." His senior class trip with friends has been reduced to "probably just saying hello over the summer, between workouts." And the senior prom?

"I'm missing it," Hinojosa said. "My girlfriend gave me some grief. But she understands. This is my future."

thanks for the heads up. would you mind just pasting the text of the article in this thread? with the minneapolis tribune's 20 articles max per month policy for non-subscribers a lot of us are not able to go to these links you always post.

The idea that the Star Tribune is the go to source that requires a subscription is laughable. It restricts access for minimal content. Surely this policy will deseve a review once the Twins open, and surely it will not fly when the Vikes report. The backlash is fewer hits on the site, less hits lower advertising rates. It makes no sense.

"My main concerns are: 1. Can the young man even read and write well enough to be college material? 2. Can he do basic math? I don't care that he's leaving H.S. early. Is he ready for college???"

I just love the comments section. He's not leaving high school early. He's already put in the work to graduate early. So, yeah, I think he can probably can read and write.

Considering he is enrolling in the Carlson School of Management, I assume he's bright. If you're reading this getthemall, ignore the commentors on the Star Tribune. The troll percentage is high among them.

Just clear your cookies (Flash cookies too). That should take care of the limit.

"My main concerns are: 1. Can the young man even read and write well enough to be college material? 2. Can he do basic math? I don't care that he's leaving H.S. early. Is he ready for college???"

I just love the comments section. He's not leaving high school early. He's already put in the work to graduate early. So, yeah, I think he can probably can read and write.

There are some dim bulbs in the comment sections. If you can graduate early from high school, you're probably pretty bright.

There are some dim bulbs in the comment sections. If you can graduate early from high school, you're probably pretty bright.

would venture most of the people who post in the newspaper comment sections didn't graduate from high school. hence why one should pay 98% of the comments posted there no mind.

Okay, if we're talking dumb comments from comment section, how about this letter to the editor(in local paper) in regards to Viking stadium issue.

"To the editor:

I do not want to see the Vikings leave, but also do not want to see general tax revenue used for a new stadium. I believe the people who use it should pay for it. We need to add a user fee to every ticket sold. This could be a couple of dollars per ticket.

We already do this for state parks, snowmobile trails, fishing and hunting licenses. Why can’t it be done for people using the stadium?

XXXXX XXXXXXX

Xxxxxxxx, MN"

I don't think this guy was a math or finance major.

Just clear your cookies (Flash cookies too). That should take care of the limit.

I have two computers with two browsers on each. Their tracking system cannot keep a common tab on all four browsers. Therefore I can get 20 hits per browser per computer for a toal of 80 hits. If I did 80 hits per month on the Strib I'd throw up.

Actually, if you enter via link from another site, it shouldn't count toward your limit. It is like sharing your newspaper.

Okay, if we're talking dumb comments from comment section, how about this letter to the editor(in local paper) in regards to Viking stadium issue.

"To the editor:

I do not want to see the Vikings leave, but also do not want to see general tax revenue used for a new stadium. I believe the people who use it should pay for it. We need to add a user fee to every ticket sold. This could be a couple of dollars per ticket.

We already do this for state parks, snowmobile trails, fishing and hunting licenses. Why can’t it be done for people using the stadium?

XXXXX XXXXXXX

Xxxxxxxx, MN"

I doubt he had any type of major.

"To the editor:

XXXXX XXXXXXX

Xxxxxxxx, MN"

How much do you think it would take, 50-60 dollar surcharge per ticket, something in that range I would imagine.

How much do you think it would take, 50-60 dollar surcharge per ticket, something in that range I would imagine.

Needed 40-50 mill per year to pay for public share.

65,000 seats X 10 games = 650,000 tiks X $50 = 32.5 million.

Still short and tik sales just might drop with $50 increase.

A little closer than $2 per ticket though.:rolleyes:

As far as commentors on the StribBitchBlogs, I find it extremely frustrating to try make sense out of those commentors nonsense.

With reference to some of the "dim bulbs" in those comment sections, some of those people aren't even "dim bulbs". Some of them haven't even been issued a building permit yet.

I love the fact that coach Kill got a player like Jordan to come to the U for two reasons. Firstly he has the right attitude, he's hardworking, and loves to play the game. When players with the physical tools have these charcteristic traits they rarely ever fail. Barring injury and that he keeps this attitude I guarantee this kid will be a GREAT player for the Gophs!

Secondly, he came from an outstanding HS team playing against some of the best competition in the COUNTRY. Which means with spring ball under his belt he will be an early contributor and is more qualified to play against this level of competiton.

I had time to read the paper at the Car dealer the other day. I would not pay .10 for a subscription. Maybe 1.25 annually. Absolutely nothing. This story was discussed throughly on the gopherhole, before it came to life on the Star Tribune. Maybe we should limit the Star Tibune to view our content.

Top Bottom