Strib recruiting article

in the comment section it seems jeff jones left a comment it says:
Jeff Jones Jr- My family and I thought about going to EP there was no outside influence by anyone!

and their was another comment in the comment section: clayton burton jr/CJ burton- Levi has done nothing but help me and my family, he's a good guy thats just trying to give the kids an oppurtunity to go to college and live out their dreams.

i looked it up and Clayton Burton has a rivals profile and he is a DE from Washburn, also last year Malik Rucker left a comment in a Strib/MN football hub article and it actually was him

I mean....yeah it sucks. I want to love college athletics and be a socially conscious person, but that's really hard to do both sometimes. Look around you.

I don't think scholarship athletes in football and basketball are victims, but they are certainly exploited by any definition of the word. To blame these handlers for exploiting them, or to blame the athletes for really only caring about making money, without taking a deep look at the entire system seems hypocritical at best. Are people upset because they legitimately care about the best interests of these children, or do they care because they think that we're losing recruits because of it? That's not a rhetorical question; I honestly don't know.

I see your point. It's one of the reasons I have such disdain for the NCAA. Their lax and at times plain refusal to monitor any of the underhanded crap that went on for decades has helped lead to the current mess big-time college sports finds itself in. The only solution is a complete overhaul imo. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

I see your point. It's one of the reasons I have such disdain for the NCAA. Their lax and at times plain refusal to monitor any of the underhanded crap that went on for decades has helped lead to the current mess big-time college sports finds itself in. The only solution is a complete overhaul imo. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

College football and basketball are forms of entertainment. I can't think of too many big time forms of entertainment that aren't filled with sleaze of some kind. Pretty much every major pro sport, Hollywood, the music industry, etc. are and always have been filled with dirty characters and tactics. If someone isn't willing to accept that, there aren't many forms of entertainment out there left. It's true on lower levels too - I knew guys who were on steroids in high school 20 years ago, and who were encouraged to take them at the JUCO and D3 levels as well. Maybe your local church choir (but who knows - someone might be sleeping with the choir director).

There's a video of Jones' dad and Maynard's mom included in the article.
Jones' dad basically said the agent has opened doors and given Jeff exposure, that he'd seen many kids not get recruited simply because they went to a city school.

BS. Kids are found by schools if they have talent nowadays. They also have HS coaches to help them with this. Very few get left behind simply by not being seen.
Jones had exposure as a freshman, he had offers from BCS schools as a Soph.
This stinks to high heaven.

+1,000,000

College football and basketball are forms of entertainment. I can't think of too many big time forms of entertainment that aren't filled with sleaze of some kind. Pretty much every major pro sport, Hollywood, the music industry, etc. are and always have been filled with dirty characters and tactics. If someone isn't willing to accept that, there aren't many forms of entertainment out there left. It's true on lower levels too - I knew guys who were on steroids in high school 20 years ago, and who were encouraged to take them at the JUCO and D3 levels as well. Maybe your local church choir (but who knows - someone might be sleeping with the choir director).

You are absolutely correct, which I have to admit sucks.

It appears Levi did well with the poverty stricken Caucasian from Woodbury.
Gawd, I hope this story goes away.

He may truly be helping the kids, but I would really like to see a list of players that he has contact with and where they end up. Seems that a majority of the players mentioned were not the "massively unknown" players that the owner of the non-profit says he deals with, but rather the kids that already have quite a bit of exposure. The other thing that sticks out to me is that the 'non-profit' is down in Florida. Of course, he wants to take players on a tour of the southern schools (SEC). Why not take them out west? Where do these donations come from? Seems odd that a Florida 'non-profit' and its sponsors would be so concerned about the midwest. Are there no critically under exposed kids down in Florida?

He may truly be helping the kids, but I would really like to see a list of players that he has contact with and where they end up. Seems that a majority of the players mentioned were not the "massively unknown" players that the owner of the non-profit says he deals with, but rather the kids that already have quite a bit of exposure. The other thing that sticks out to me is that the 'non-profit' is down in Florida. Of course, he wants to take players on a tour of the southern schools (SEC). Why not take them out west? Where do these donations come from? Seems odd that a Florida 'non-profit' and its sponsors would be so concerned about the midwest. Are there no critically under exposed kids down in Florida?

These guys in the article have all been top recruits in the state for the class since at least their sophomore year. I think it is pretty obvious this guy is paid by south schools to find the best players in the north. Who pays the camp fees is what I want to know.

I do think that the HS coaches could do a better job advocating for players. Maybe this can be a wake up call to them as well. They are coaches and educators, even mentors. If kids want to dream and get school paid for they should do everything possible to get it done. Obviously money becomes a question in all of this.

Top Bottom