STrib profile: For Gophers QB Athan Kaliakmanis, family, football and fishing run deep; I wanted to go somewhere where we could change the program.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

With training camp less than five weeks away, he is poised to take the reins of the Gophers offense after starting five games as a redshirt freshman in 2022 in place of injured veteran Tanner Morgan. Coach P.J. Fleck won't officially name a starter until training camp and fifth-year junior Cole Kramer will provide competition, but all signs say that it's Kaliakmanis' time.

"I just can't wait to go play with my brothers," Kaliakmanis said of his Gophers teammates.

The prominence that comes with being a Big Ten starting quarterback these days also creates money-making opportunities through the NCAA's loosened name, image and likeness (NIL) rules. The QB's trip to Otter Tail County was set up by Team IFA, a Minneapolis-based marketing agency that is involved with professional and collegiate athletes.

For Athan, embracing the challenge of winning at Minnesota was something he couldn't resist.

"I wanted to go somewhere and be a legend,'' he said. "Those were words that Coach Fleck said when he was recruiting me, and I've never forgotten those words. I wanted to go somewhere where we could change the program."

Along the way, Kaliakmanis has grown fond of his new home. A fun day of fishing in Otter Tail Lakes Country left him feeling a little more Minnesotan.

Go Gophers!!

Head a little bit north to Detroit Lakes and see Mason Carrier.

Good to see him getting out of the cities and experiencing the nature of the state. Very happy to have him enjoying that.

"I wanted to go somewhere and be a legend,'' he said. "Those were words that Coach Fleck said when he was recruiting me, and I've never forgotten those words. I wanted to go somewhere where we could change the program."

This is what changes the program. This is what it’s built on from 2018 Wisconsin game. Don’t care if we fail. We are trying to be great.

This is what changes the program. This is what it’s built on from 2018 Wisconsin game. Don’t care if we fail. We are trying to be great.
They are aiming high, and everyone in the organization is buying-in top to bottom.

They are aiming high, and everyone in the organization is buying-in top to bottom.
All we can really ask for as fans.
If they keep winning 7+ every year and having aspirations for more…I am willing to keep watching them try

Top Bottom