Strib: "Pitino says he will reevaluate suspended players after the season"

citywok

Reaction score
Blog from Amelia "Go Tar Heels!" Rayno:

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino delivered his strongest hint yet that the punishments for three suspended guards might not be final on Tuesday, when he reiterated comments from the previous day's radio show in which he said he will "reevaluate" their statuses after the season.

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-s...suspended-players-after-the-season/371412551/

That first paragraph: No he did not, what planet is she on? There is no hint that Pitino was doing anything other than getting people to stop asking questions about them and her "hint" is debunked even more in the 4th paragraph.

She (or maybe her editor, I guess) is so, so bad and it drives me crazy. At least this post doesn't have any massive editing or grammar failures.

this says it all, and good for pitino.

"Obviously they feel like they let the team down. They don't need to be reminded of it every single second of every single day. People make mistakes, you learn from it and you move on. And hopefully that's what we can do."

He obviously needs Mason back next year. Hopefully, sorry and with a will to do great things.

Assuming the public knows everything the University does (which may or may not be the case), I hope all three are back next year and with a greater appreciation for the opportunity in front of them. I hope they come back with a deeper desire to right the ship, work hard, and produce a quality basketball program, on and off the court, at the U.

He obviously needs Mason back next year. Hopefully, sorry and with a will to do great things.

He needs all three. Mason first and foremost but McBrayer is going to be a very good player.

The M&M's.

Basketball-wise, those are the youngins' Pitino can't afford to lose moving forward as he tries to preserve his job. ... Mason, McBrayer, and Murphy. If those three all are back, the future on the court will look pretty good.

He also needs to be as close to 100% certain as possible that there won't be any additional embarrassing behavior. The guys, the program and Pitino cannot afford to be in the news for anything but good basketball for years to come. Hopefully the humiliation of letting their teammates and community down is enough to assure that.

He also needs to be as close to 100% certain as possible that there won't be any additional embarrassing behavior. The guys, the program and Pitino cannot afford to be in the news for anything but good basketball for years to come. Hopefully the humiliation of letting their teammates and community down is enough to assure that.

Agree 100% Holy Man. That's why I used "disclaimer"-type words such as "basketball-wise" and "on the court". If they're back, I hope they learned their lesson & that Pitino will have them on a short leash.

this says it all, and good for pitino.

"Obviously they feel like they let the team down. They don't need to be reminded of it every single second of every single day. People make mistakes, you learn from it and you move on. And hopefully that's what we can do."
The problem is that until all investigations, and any resultant legal proceedings, are concluded then they will be reminded regularly about this regularly; maybe not daily, but they will be reminded.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

He should get the kids to promise not to do it again or anything else stupid.

He should get the kids to promise not to do it again or anything else stupid.
And collect "affirmative consent" forms from all their partners. [emoji21]

I get the mistake the players made putting themselves and the program in a negative light, which was compounded because of the mega tongue situation and the 60 years of incompetence of our athletic department...but really, its adults having sex. Should they have been punished? Yes, in my opinion. Mostly for making bad choices and being irresponsible. But anything beyond this years suspension (barring any more coming out) is preposterous and other than at BYU, wouldn't even be considered.

This story is currently one of the top headlines on Star Tribune and the most read story on the site. It's clearly a mis-leading headline as that tone isn't really what I would take out of his quotes.

I get the mistake the players made putting themselves and the program in a negative light, which was compounded because of the mega tongue situation and the 60 years of incompetence of our athletic department...but really, its adults having sex. Should they have been punished? Yes, in my opinion. Mostly for making bad choices and being irresponsible. But anything beyond this years suspension (barring any more coming out) is preposterous and other than at BYU, wouldn't even be considered.
Good luck with that. They are at a school that is joining in the "affirmitive consent" movement under which only documented cases of "affirmative consent" sexual contact avoid being tainted with the suspicion rape.

For Mason and McBreyer, I completely agree. Four games is more than they deserved, considering they seemed to have nothing to do with posting it online. Anything that goes beyond this season will be down out of cowardice. Dorsey's situation is a little more muddy to me.

This assumes there's nothing more to the story that we don't know.

"To me, it's such an extreme situation," he said. "Obviously they feel like they let the team down. They don't need to be reminded of it every single second of every single day. People make mistakes, you learn from it and you move on. And hopefully that's what we can do."

yup....that sentence says a lot

they will be back IMO

"To me, it's such an extreme situation," he said. "Obviously they feel like they let the team down. They don't need to be reminded of it every single second of every single day. People make mistakes, you learn from it and you move on. And hopefully that's what we can do."

yup....that sentence says a lot

they will be back IMO

In fact it almost says the opposite of what Amelia came up with....

Rayno is a horrible writer. The mismatch between the title/intro paragraph and what Pitino actually said is misleading almost to the point of dishonesty.

There is a germ of truth in what Amelia said. Pitino did not come out and say that all 3 will be back, or all 3 will be gone. He said they will be evaluated at the end of the season. That certainly implies that a final decision has not been made - or at least they're not going to talk about it publicly. (it could also mean that the final decision will not be only Pitino's to make - probably will involve Goetz and/or others).

If I had to guess, I would say Mason and McBrayer are back - but Dorsey is gone. The U is such a CYA institution, I suspect they will want someone to throw to the wolves to demonstrate their "outrage" over the situation. So, unless Dorsey is able to come up with definitive proof that he did not post the videos (the stolen phone scenario), I would bet that the U makes him the scapegoat. (and conveniently brings back the players with more upside).

There is a germ of truth in what Amelia said. Pitino did not come out and say that all 3 will be back, or all 3 will be gone. He said they will be evaluated at the end of the season. That certainly implies that a final decision has not been made - or at least they're not going to talk about it publicly. (it could also mean that the final decision will not be only Pitino's to make - probably will involve Goetz and/or others).

If I had to guess, I would say Mason and McBrayer are back - but Dorsey is gone. The U is such a CYA institution, I suspect they will want someone to throw to the wolves to demonstrate their "outrage" over the situation. So, unless Dorsey is able to come up with definitive proof that he did not post the videos (the stolen phone scenario), I would bet that the U makes him the scapegoat. (and conveniently brings back the players with more upside).

Agree. There is also the previous suspension. No big thing, but it's a factor in all of this.

I don't think he could be called a scapegoat. If he posted the video without the other players knowledge- he not only did something foolish but he betrayed trust. And that's a big deal as a team mate. If he didn't post it- I hope all three are back and have learned their lessons.

Dorsey has the most upside of the three imo

I think McBrayer has the most upside but Dorsey has the speed in transition and defensive tenacity that is crucial to the Pitino style.

Relief is near

Will be relieved when this season ends tomorrow. Can't come soon enough. Then things really get interesting. Who or what is the first domino? Resolution to ThreesomeGate? Gaston? Buggsy? Dorsey? Assistant coaching change?

Funny how Pitino goes from expects them to play against Wisconsin to we'll see about next year. Outside pressure is being exerted, my guess is from some of the state legislators.

Funny how Pitino goes from expects them to play against Wisconsin to we'll see about next year. Outside pressure is being exerted, my guess is from some of the state legislators.

Pitino never said he expects. He said antipates. Big difference.

Point of fact in this matter is we most likely don't know $#!+ about the details. I'm kind of tired about all the speculation on the topic and would love for some disclosure and an end to it. However, we are talking about a University that hasn't hired a permanent AD with months t get it done.

UM sports is a rudderless ship without a captain.

The M&M's.

Basketball-wise, those are the youngins' Pitino can't afford to lose moving forward as he tries to preserve his job. ... Mason, McBrayer, and Murphy. If those three all are back, the future on the court will look pretty good.

3M

Top Bottom