Strib: Parking Wars on Gophers football game day

i have to admit that you had a good comeback there. good thing i work evenings otherwise that would've hit pretty close to home.

Yeah, um, I don't, so it REALLY hit's home for me! :eek:

Without a doubt, the U and the city of Minneapolis are working together to keep people from parking in private lots. For years these lots have been charging for Gopher hoops and hockey and now that we have a new football stadium, here comes the law enforcement...
The only thing is that the U would have been losing money on event parking for those hockey/bball games to these lots too. It's just as likely that the City is paying way more attention to the parking situation in Stadium Village now that the stadium is there. The other issue is that parking for bball/hockey wouldn't include tailgating typically and I could see the City getting more interested once alcohol enters the equation.

I've tailgated for the first two weeks in a private lot, but the city basically came up with a way to attack the lot owner every week. First, they said that they couldn't charge for the lot. Then, they said that they had taken pictures of illegal consumption.

I know regulations are regulations, but how the hell can someone on one side of the street be able to drink because the U says it's ok and on the other side of the street you can't drink because it's a private lot. This is so wrong.

The city specifies a specific zone around the metrodome which allows lots to tailgate. The city needs to expand this zone to include the area around TCF stadium.
This is something that I was wondering about for a long time now. When I toured TCF last fall Phil Esten was clear that City didn't plan on extending the legal tailgating zone to include Stadium Village. To me, that meant that the City would eventually crack down on the private lots who offered tailgating. I agree...this is very wrong.

This new stadium was supposed to be this great thing and I was excited to get back on campus, but so many issues with getting into the building, waiting for food, and now trying to monopolize the parking and tailgating... If the team doesn't get a lot better real soon, I'll be giving up my season tickets that I've had for like 20 years.
You're not going to get much sympathy here on this one. I understand why you're frustrated, but I'd suggest remembering that this is the first season in the new stadium and problems that exist now can be fixed.

This has to do with the City/ Met Council's "war on cars". They don't want you to be able to get places by car if you have another method available. Period. They seek to make driving your car an inconvenient option.

If you think this is bad, take a look at the plan for the whole Central Coordoor line. Automobile traffic is essentially being eliminated entirely between the downtowns (except on I-94). Lanes, parking, curb cuts, and intersections are all being eliminated on one of the metro's bussiest auto-oriented streets.

There's no "war on cars". There has been a long-standing war on transit, ever since the elimination of the street cars.

This has to do with the City/ Met Council's "war on cars". They don't want you to be able to get places by car if you have another method available. Period. They seek to make driving your car an inconvenient option.

If you think this is bad, take a look at the plan for the whole Central Coordoor line. Automobile traffic is essentially being eliminated entirely between the downtowns (except on I-94). Lanes, parking, curb cuts, and intersections are all being eliminated on one of the metro's bussiest auto-oriented streets.

Goldmember has nailed it. Every transportation decision that the Minneapolis City Council and the Metropolitan Council have made during the last 25 years has been directed toward getting people out of their automobiles and onto buses, trains, and bikes. That is not going to change any time soon.

Aside from the fact the City of Minneapolis must have more important things to do, I think they're targeting the one segment of the local population that would actually pay the fine. I"m guessing fine collections from vagrants, junkies and dope dealers are nearly nonexistent.
The problem with the City of Minneapolis is they think everything they do is important. They are nobility without the noblesse oblige

Wow, the city of minneapolis continues to do whatever it can to make sure that nobody enjoys Gopher Football.

+1 Nailed it.

Top Bottom