STrib: New Team

adamj95

Reaction score

Battle, dealing with allergy-induced laryngitis, mainly nodded in agreement as her teammates talked. But she did manage to make one statement when asked about their goal for the upcoming season:

"The tournament,'' she said, referring to the NCAA.

Someday, I hope, we will actually gain some new knowledge about the transfers

Watching practice last week at the start of camp, one could see the talent level. Braun, Heyer and Battle can play. Borowicz, who missed last year following surgery, is back at the point. Micheaux, who played in the post for 30 games last season as a freshman, is a year older. Czinano, who dealt with a number of health- and injury-related setbacks as a freshman, had a wonderful summer and looks good this fall.

A number of transfers have added pieces, including in the paint.

Borowicz throwing a little shade at last years teammates and I’m here for it!

Borowicz, comparing last year's team to this year's, talked about a team that was finally willing to take coaching, one that was more united.

Borowicz said. "We're looking for our teammates because we know they can score. Whereas, last year, it was more, 'I'm looking for myself because I can score.' "

I am truly excited for this team. Hope they can shock a couple of teams and get into the tournament!

So here is a catch22 with this kind of article. While I am thrilled we finally got something from the first week of practice, I wish it was something of substance. We learned absolutely nothing new from this article. Any person who has been paying attention for the last six months knew we returned 3 and had 4 highly rated coming in, but what is added in this article?

He doesn't even mention Cayton, Gradwell, or Oberg by name. Oberg and Gradwell very well could be starters and not mentioned?

Also his prediction of starters of 4 freshman and 1 sophomore.. well first of all I HOPE is knows Nia is injured and that would mean he is talking about a started five of Katie, Amaya, Mara, Heyer and Rose. That is wrong on many levels.

First, in every video or set we see from the Gopher WBB twitter account, Heyer is playing the 3. Oberg is starting at the 5. Secondly, Katie, Mara and Amaya are the only 3 true ball handlers we have so it would make zero sense to have all start and then none off the bench.

Another thing to brace for from Gopher Fans. We will not be deep...AT ALL this season. Expect a starting five of either

Battle, Braun, Heyer, Rose and Oberg
or
Braun, Gradwell, Heyer, Rose and Oberg

With Katie, either Battle or Gradwell and probably Hammond getting consistent minutes off the bench. Cayton has always had knee issues so I see her more as a mentor for the freshman than someone to actually provide production on the court. Rose and Oberg likely are getting HEAVY minutes at the post positions with either Heyer, Gradwell or Hammond Sliding up to play some 4 when they need a rest. I truly don't see a lot of minutes where we dont have two if not all three of the 2022s on the court.

I really wish this team, their recruits and everything was covered like the MBB team is but I know thats a foolish dream. However when they do get articles or attention, I wish it was more in-depth or at least more accurate. Thats my two cents.

So here is a catch22 with this kind of article. While I am thrilled we finally got something from the first week of practice, I wish it was something of substance. We learned absolutely nothing new from this article. Any person who has been paying attention for the last six months knew we returned 3 and had 4 highly rated coming in, but what is added in this article?

He doesn't even mention Cayton, Gradwell, or Oberg by name. Oberg and Gradwell very well could be starters and not mentioned?

Also his prediction of starters of 4 freshman and 1 sophomore.. well first of all I HOPE is knows Nia is injured and that would mean he is talking about a started five of Katie, Amaya, Mara, Heyer and Rose. That is wrong on many levels.

First, in every video or set we see from the Gopher WBB twitter account, Heyer is playing the 3. Oberg is starting at the 5. Secondly, Katie, Mara and Amaya are the only 3 true ball handlers we have so it would make zero sense to have all start and then none off the bench.

Another thing to brace for from Gopher Fans. We will not be deep...AT ALL this season. Expect a starting five of either

or

With Katie, either Battle or Gradwell and probably Hammond getting consistent minutes off the bench. Cayton has always had knee issues so I see her more as a mentor for the freshman than someone to actually provide production on the court. Rose and Oberg likely are getting HEAVY minutes at the post positions with either Heyer, Gradwell or Hammond Sliding up to play some 4 when they need a rest. I truly don't see a lot of minutes where we dont have two if not all three of the 2022s on the court.

I really wish this team, their recruits and everything was covered like the MBB team is but I know thats a foolish dream. However when they do get articles or attention, I wish it was more in-depth or at least more accurate. Thats my two cents.
good post and appreciate the thoughtful analysis. I agree it didn't add much other than a bit more perspective of last year relative to this year. I still did enjoy the article because of the perspective and the fact it was coverage of the women's team that wasn't focused on being a hit piece on the program.

I believe it was last week that the Trib did an article on a men’s basketball player potential recruit coming to visit campus. Would we ever get that for a women’s recruit? 🤔

I believe it was last week that the Trib did an article on a men’s basketball player potential recruit coming to visit campus. Would we ever get that for a women’s recruit? 🤔
I actually think they would if highly rated enough. There was some random Olivia gal ;) who got some coverage on TV and in the print media before she chose some other random B1G school to play for.

Yes, that starting five with Katie at the point and Rose at the post is a logical conclusion of an article about the team chemistry of eight players. Whalen's comments, especially the one's about the offense starting with Rose, reinforce that conclusion.

At this point the program has done little to recognize the transfers, let alone provide some insight into their possible roles.

We heard more about the 7'2 kid from California than I have ever seen for a Girls Basketball Player in this state outside of MAYBE Paige Bueckers in the last month or so. We heard every step of the process for the top three boys players in the MN class of 2023 and none of them stayed home. To be 100% honest, I'm not sure a single person that covers MN gophers sports in this state could pick Tessa Johnson out of a photo lineup and she is the top 2023 on the girls side and nationally top 30 player AND actually heavily considering the Gophers and absolutely nothing about her written or updated on recruiting process.

We heard more about the 7'2 kid from California than I have ever seen for a Girls Basketball Player in this state outside of MAYBE Paige Bueckers in the last month or so. We heard every step of the process for the top three boys players in the MN class of 2023 and none of them stayed home. To be 100% honest, I'm not sure a single person that covers MN gophers sports in this state could pick Tessa Johnson out of a photo lineup and she is the top 2023 on the girls side and nationally top 30 player AND actually heavily considering the Gophers and absolutely nothing about her written or updated on recruiting process.
To be fair Tessa Johnson is choosing to keep it closed and turns down any interviews. Your point does stand that the mens team will always have different coverage unless the womens team wins more. The Lynx being here hasn’t helped either and most media outlets don’t believe their is a big enough base to follow it more accurately or often.

To be fair Tessa Johnson is choosing to keep it closed and turns down any interviews. Your point does stand that the mens team will always have different coverage unless the womens team wins more. The Lynx being here hasn’t helped either and most media outlets don’t believe their is a big enough base to follow it more accurately or often.
It also seems like the writer for men's team is more engaged and interested with his assignment compared to the writer for the women's team. Marcus makes a point to go out and watch AAU and high school games to watch recruits play and is more knowledgeable about them. I realize Kent also has Lynx coverage in the summer, but he does not seem to do more than what is asked of him.

or

Just basing this on one summer practice that i attended but I'd be really surprised if Katie B didn't start at pg. Braun and Rose are guaranteed starters. This team doesn't have much depth at the 4 and 5 spot so Id expect Heyer to play primarily the 4. The 3 best guards are definitely Borowicz Braun and Battle so whether they start or not, theyll still play a bunch. I could def see 4 freshman starters with Rose. Gradwell offers versatility so she'll definitely play. My predicted depth chart off 1 practice for this team is:
G: Kati B, Battle
G: Braun, Battle,Cayton
G: Battle Gradwell, Czinano, Hammond
F: Rose, Heyer, Gradwell
C: Oberg, Rose, Zie

I'm shocked Tessa hasn't made a decision yet? you are at your peak value during AAU season, I can't imagine what she is waiting for? What is strange is her sister committed to Iowa state like in 8th grade to early and now Tessa is waiting to long.. Best of luck to her

Just basing this on one summer practice that i attended but I'd be really surprised if Katie B didn't start at pg. Braun and Rose are guaranteed starters. This team doesn't have much depth at the 4 and 5 spot so Id expect Heyer to play primarily the 4. The 3 best guards are definitely Borowicz Braun and Battle so whether they start or not, theyll still play a bunch. I could def see 4 freshman starters with Rose. Gradwell offers versatility so she'll definitely play. My predicted depth chart off 1 practice for this team is:
Kati, pg, Battle 2G, Braun the 3, Rose 4, oberg 5.
The only way this doesn't happen game 1 is Whalen may not want to tick off the older players/transfers

I'm shocked Tessa hasn't made a decision yet? you are at your peak value during AAU season, I can't imagine what she is waiting for? What is strange is her sister committed to Iowa state like in 8th grade to early and now Tessa is waiting to long.. Best of luck to her
She just took an official visit to South Carolina so I'm curious why you think she is waiting too long? She has some bigtime options to choose from.

Okay so this is a fair point. One of hard things about Tessa is she VERY tight-lipped about her recruiting. I think it more speaks to the level of interest from reporters/commentators around the two programs. You could get "off the record info" from AAU Coaches, High School coaches etc. Hell even if she says "no comment" or "gives no specifics, show an interest in knowing. Tessa tight-lipped but where was the recruiting info for the likes of Olivia Olson, Taylor Woodson, NuNu Agara before they committed like for the boys? We know every step of their process.

Also where is update on 2024s Liv McGill or Jordan Zubich? or 2025 Crump? or 2026s Tori or Maddyn? Are they giving recruiting visits updates or notable updates. no and you cant tell me ALL of them are tight-lipped on recruiting.

Kati, pg, Battle 2G, Braun the 3, Rose 4, oberg 5.
The only way this doesn't happen game 1 is Whalen may not want to tick off the older players/transfers
Heyer literally has been running the 3 position for August and September in practice. Why would it change?
She has taken her four official visits. Its just a decision time but she knows the teams she has as finalist have a spot waiting for her. She can take as long as she will like, the teams (especially gophers) will hold a spot. She is all the Gophers are remaining to go after for the 2023 class.

I like your breakdown. I am really curious about Zie. She seemed like such a high performer in JC I was expecting her to get significant time next year after she was signed. What did you see from her and what were your impressions? Also interested in your impressions from the other players you watched, especially the transfers.

Where would you put Ratzlaff and Counts?

She just took an official visit to South Carolina so I'm curious why you think she is waiting too long? She has some bigtime options to choose from.
I wonder if she might want to wait for the spring signing period? especially if she wants to see how Minnesota does.

Zubich is looking at Nebraska and Ohio State as well as Minnesota. Some girls like to play close to home in front of family and friends and some don't.

It is crazy how different those sisters recruitments have been different. I think she wants to be here, but isn’t convinced of Whalen honestly.

It is crazy how different those sisters recruitments have been different. I think she wants to be here, but isn’t convinced of Whalen honestly.
I totally agree. If Minnesota has a good season I could very well see her being a Gopher.

This reminded me of something I saw last night and also something I've noticed among really successful people over the years. I can't believe I'm actually going to use Kim Kardashian as an example, but here goes.

The other night at an NFL game, the big screen showed her in one of the luxury boxes and the crowd started booing. Didn't phase her a bit. Another actor mentioned that the fact that " When people who don't know you think they dislike you enough to boo, that means you're super-duper famous", which is a big deal in the field they are in. She likely took the fact that people recognized her and took the time to boo her as affirmation of what she's trying to accomplish in her life. (BTW, I'm not a fan and can't believe she's famous either, but we're talking mindset here).

The lesson is, that really successful people can and will spin negative into a positive for themselves and not get down about things. They stay positive, don't look back and certainly don't pay attention to anything or anybody not supportive to whatever their goals are. Although they learn from mistakes, they certainly do not dwell on them (like most of we older sports fans who never could or no longer can participate at that high level). Failure doesn't predict future failure, get them down or prevent them from staying positive.

When a team loses or a player makes a crucial mistake and we say, "oh, that's gonna weigh on them for a while", we're generally wrong. I've found that truly talented people/athletes are usually immediately looking ahead and preparing themselves to be successful the next time out. The number of young athletes I've seen asked about how long this tight loss is gonna affect the team or themselves, the answer is generally something along the lines of "it won't, we'll get 'em next time!". Successful people just don't carry the weight of failure. They drop it and keep their eye on the goal.

Top Bottom