STrib: NCAA's new kickoff rules likely to stymie Gophers' Stoudermire

I don't think we'll see an enormous dropoff. Most college kickers still won't be able to put the ball through the endzone.

I don't think we'll see an enormous dropoff. Most college kickers still won't be able to put the ball through the endzone.

If we do see a drop-off - this would only help Troy keep his Big Ten record..

Not a fan of the rule since it has been one of the few bright spots for the Goph's the last few years.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Very few kickers will be able to get it further than a yard or two into the end zone. For most returners, its still worth it trying to return.

I am actually a little surprised to hear the staff talking about using Troy on kick returns. I know he is great at it but given his perceived value to the secondary as a starting CB I kind of thought they might try and find a different option to return kicks so as not to burn him out or expose him to additional chances at getting injured.

One of those tough calls where you don't want to take a guy away from something he is very good at but at the same time if you lose him from your secondary that could hurt your team even worse then giving up a few yards on the kick return. For as great as Troy has been he still has not run one back for a TD.

Eh, people made a hubub about it in the NFL, but it was almost more exciting, when people brought it out anyway. It just depends if Jerry wants to be conservative or aggressive about it.

Looks like it will be harder to block a punt too. "Players trying to block punts can no longer attempt to jump over blockers, or multi-player "shields" in front of the punter; they can only jump straight up." It probably can be done, let's say a player breaks through the line wanting to block the punt probably running fast, and then has to gather himself and jump straight up? The ref who is going to have to interpret "straight up" will have a tough assignment. I hope that the new rule works.

Eh, people made a hubub about it in the NFL, but it was almost more exciting, when people brought it out anyway. It just depends if Jerry wants to be conservative or aggressive about it.

There were definitely fewer returns in the NFL last year though, and I think that you will see even fewer returns next year in the NFL. I would guess when coaches look at the average starting position from returned kicks you will see the average was pretty close to the 20 (if not lower). Why risk injury or turnover just to get the ball at the 20 anyway.

I think the same thing will happen in college. Next year the returns will drop, but the year after they will drop even further. The big thing in college is getting the ball at the 25 vs. the 20. I can see a lot of teams chosing to let balls bounce into the endzone rather than return them from the 5 or goalline (assuming they can tell it's going in the endzone).

Looks like it will be harder to block a punt too. "Players trying to block punts can no longer attempt to jump over blockers, or multi-player "shields" in front of the punter; they can only jump straight up." It probably can be done, let's say a player breaks through the line wanting to block the punt probably running fast, and then has to gather himself and jump straight up? The ref who is going to have to interpret "straight up" will have a tough assignment. I hope that the new rule works.
Most blocks don't happen that way anyhow (though I think the Gophers managed one against Illinois in 2009). Its a good rule IMO because getting spun when going over the shield puts players in a very vulnerable position.

Top Bottom