STrib: Minnesota doesn't need a shake up, it needs an earthquake of change.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The call for "change" is all well and good, but the roster is what it is. It's not as if Bobby, Blake and Mbakwe are walking through that door...heck, it'd be great to have Chad Kolander and Kim Zurcher walk through that door, but they aren't. As Norman Dale said: "my team is in the floor." Regardless, per Amelia:

Bring on the change. The whole "stick with what we're doing" storyline doesn't work anymore. Minnesota doesn't need a shake up, it needs an earthquake of change. An all-youth lineup was a good start. What else can Pitino come up with now? How much can he change practice? How much can he change individual instructions? Film? Off-the-court stuff? This moment will test his creativity as a coach and a teacher.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-back-to-back-25-point-losses-beg-for-big-change/365094981/

Go Gophers!!

Your comments made me think of the Pitino game started by ESPN writer Amin Alhassen. It basically makes fun of the speech Rick Pitino gave as coach of the Celtics with "Lary Bird ain't walking through that door, Kevin KcHale ain't walking through that door"

Anyways, the point of it is when a team loses to do the Pitino game. Coming up with the most obscure former players who ain't walking through that door.

Your comments made me think of the Pitino game started by ESPN writer Amin Alhassen. It basically makes fun of the speech Rick Pitino gave as coach of the Celtics with "Lary Bird ain't walking through that door, Kevin KcHale ain't walking through that door"

Anyways, the point of it is when a team loses to do the Pitino game. Coming up with the most obscure former players who ain't walking through that door.

I'll play. Mickey Crowe ain't walking through that door.

Neither Jason nor Jermaine Stanford are walking through that door anytime soon.

The STRIB could use an earthquake of change as well. I wouldn't have thought it possible but Amelia is worse than Myron.

Jamal Abu-Shamala is not walking through that door. Tony Dungy is not walking through that door (to coach football either).

Big men Dave Holmgren and Paul VanDenEinde aren't walking through that door.

Go Gophers!!

Aliou Kane is not walking through that door. Nor are Wesley Washington or Kris Collins.

Going old school with the former Laker and Cardinal reference. Holmgren was on some good Prior Lake teams.

Could Tyus still walk through the door? I heard we're on his Final Three list.

Could Tyus still walk through the door? I heard we're on his Final Three list.

Speaking of... Jones averaged 24.7 points, 3.9 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 1.5 steals and 35.2 minutes over six games for the Idaho Stampede. He shot 48.7 percent from the field, including 42.6 percent from 3-point range.

The DL is so far from the NBA level of play its not even funny.

Maybe there's one thing. I remember on Tubby's last team in non con Mbakwe would come off the bench, but play starter minutes. Maybe we should go back to that with Murphy, he had some great games coming off the bench and it might help with his foul troubles, but obviously still play him 25-30 minutes a night. IDK there's nothing left try except role out the three walkons, Gaston and Buggs

I would go with the same starting lineup they did last night, and continue to reduce JK and CM minutes. I would shake the offense up strategy wise, but other than that, there's only so much Pitino can change. The main thing he can do is find a way to re-instill confidence in his players. This is not a good Gophers team, but they are not as bad as they played last night. I think the collapse against PSU shattered their resolve.

Mark Oberding and Ron Behagen are not walking through that door.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I would go with the same starting lineup they did last night, and continue to reduce JK and CM minutes. I would shake the offense up strategy wise, but other than that, there's only so much Pitino can change. The main thing he can do is find a way to re-instill confidence in his players. This is not a good Gophers team, but they are not as bad as they played last night. I think the collapse against PSU shattered their resolve.

Heard Pitino on the radio during the post game and he said "his team lacks confidence". Finding a way somehow to instill some confidence in this group would be huge. Believe Stephen Bardo even said on the telecast that the Gophers look like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders.

Making some shots probably would help build some confidence. More than that a sustained effort on the defensive end could build some confidence. Not sure this team can do either of those at this time but need something to go their way and soon

We aren't playing any defense. I can't count the number of times Nebraska to shots last night and we had 3 to 4 players between the center court line and the top of the key, or even between center court and free throw line.

As Mike Grimm observed on the radio last night, "... oh well, might as well give them (Nebraska) a second chance..." regarding our rebounding efforts.

Neither Mitch Lee nor his champagne glass are walking through that damn door.

Ernest Nzigamasabo is not walking through the door.

True story - I went to a HS all-star series in Dubuque with HS seniors from MN, IA, Ill and Wisc. Ernest Nz was playing for the MN team, and the P-A announcer was having a heck of a time with his name. When he wound up with the Gophers, it brought a smile to my face.

Joey does one thing well and that's shoot 3s. If he can't get open to shoot 3s or isn't shooting 3s then there's no reason to keep him in the game. Last night was a good example of him not shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey does one thing well and that's shoot 3s. If he can't get open to shoot 3s or isn't shooting 3s then there's no reason to keep him in the game. Last night was a good example of him not shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He particularly irritated me last night by finally looking for his own shot during absolute garbage time against bottom of the roster players and walk ons instead of trying to get something for his teammates who rarely get a chance to score. Doesn't say much for his "leadership" in my view.

The STRIB could use an earthquake of change as well. I wouldn't have thought it possible but Amelia is worse than Myron.
I'm getting a "404 file not found" error with remembering who Amelia and Myron are. I hate getting old.

Top Bottom