STrib: Mike Max cut from WCCO Radio squad

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Mike Max, a Minnesota sports journalist who's more famous than many of the athletes he covers, has lost his spot on the WCCO Radio team.

The departure was shared in an internal memo that went out Tuesday to station employees.

"In an effort to reduce costs, we had to make some difficult decisions today and had to say goodbye to Mike Max," wrote Jeff Gonsales, senior vice president and Minneapolis market manager for Audacy, which has owned the station since 2017. Max is expected to remain the sports director at WCCO TV, which is owned by CBS.

Audacy is the country's second-largest radio company with more than 200 stations. The Philadelphia-based organization started making cuts nationwide earlier this week. A spokesperson told the Philadelphia Business Journal that layoffs will affect 5% of the workforce.

"It was a thrill to host at the same time slot for 24 years on the station I grew up with," Max told the Star Tribune. "I leave with no regrets."

It's unclear who will permanently fill the 6:30-9 p.m. weekday spot where "Sports to the Max with Mike Max" aired. Sources at the station believe Henry Lake, who has been hosting the 9 p.m. program, will take it over.

Go Gophers!!

The radio station that owns WCCO and 200 other stations, Audacy, has a stock price of 68-cents a share.

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

Mike Max, a Minnesota sports journalist who's more famous than many of the athletes he covers, has lost his spot on the WCCO Radio team.

The departure was shared in an internal memo that went out Tuesday to station employees.

"In an effort to reduce costs, we had to make some difficult decisions today and had to say goodbye to Mike Max," wrote Jeff Gonsales, senior vice president and Minneapolis market manager for Audacy, which has owned the station since 2017. Max is expected to remain the sports director at WCCO TV, which is owned by CBS.

Audacy is the country's second-largest radio company with more than 200 stations. The Philadelphia-based organization started making cuts nationwide earlier this week. A spokesperson told the Philadelphia Business Journal that layoffs will affect 5% of the workforce.

"It was a thrill to host at the same time slot for 24 years on the station I grew up with," Max told the Star Tribune. "I leave with no regrets."

It's unclear who will permanently fill the 6:30-9 p.m. weekday spot where "Sports to the Max with Mike Max" aired. Sources at the station believe Henry Lake, who has been hosting the 9 p.m. program, will take it over.

Go Gophers!!
That's a much better spot for Lake.

Top Bottom