STrib: Michael Wright, a Gophers star who led Supervalu for 20 years, dies at 81

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Michael Wright, a Minnesota football star in the 1950s and 1960s who built Supervalu Inc. in the 1980s and 1990s into the nation’s largest grocery wholesaler, died Monday at his home in Naples, Fla.

Wright, who was 81, died of complications from pneumonia.

He grew up in Minneapolis and became an all-state athlete in both football and basketball in high school at St. Thomas Military Academy. He continued to play both sports at the University of Minnesota, became captain of the football team in 1959 and remained a prominent backer of Gopher sports through his life.

In 1960s, he was drafted by teams in the NFL, AFL and Canadian Football League and decided to take the highest offer, an $11,000 salary from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, which was coached by another Gopher alum, Bud Grant.

John Michels, who played and coached for the Blue Bombers and later became the longest-serving assistant coach of the Minnesota Vikings, once called Wright the second-best lineman he ever coached after Ron Yary. Michels called Wright “mean as a snake.”

While playing pro football, Wright also attended law school at the U on an ROTC scholarship. After a stint in the Army to fulfill his ROTC commitment, Wright joined the Minneapolis law firm Dorsey and Whitney. Among his clients was Supervalu, which hired him as chief executive in 1981.

Go Gophers!!

The power players of the 20th century are all but gone. Harvey M. is about the only one I can think of that still is alive. He may spend most of his time in Florida.

The power players of the 20th century are all but gone. Harvey M. is about the only one I can think of that still is alive. He may spend most of his time in Florida.
Dear Dr. Dan,

I’m the former GM of the Lakers and we won multiple world championships. I also played a large roll in multiple stadium drives and own a gaggle of real estate around town.

Sid the Kid

There were some really impressive power players in the 20th Century who absolutely helped elevate the University of Minnesota.
Harvey, Sid, Lou Nanne, Dave Mona, Bob Stein, scarf man are some names that come to mind still around who champion the Gophers.
Najarian is younger. Who else is among or comprises what we may call the new power players?

My condolences to his family. Working at the Supervalu home office in Eden Prairie in the 1990s, as a Gophers season ticket holder I took the opportunity to ask his secretary if he would autograph his senior year program. View attachment 7026

RIP - Mike.

Love the old programs like this - would be cool to do one a year for homecoming or Trophy games

Mike excelled in everything he did. He was an academic All American at Minnesota, top of his law class at the U of MN Law School, All Pro for Bud Grant with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, was with top law firm in the TC's and went on to head Super value as CEO for twenty years. I've never seen such a stellar resume in life. In addition, Mike remained a stalwart Gopher fan for life. What a great guy!!

Sid chimes in:

• It was very sad to hear that Mike Wright, the former Gophers football great and business leader, had died at 81. There are not many people in the world who did more for Gophers football than Wright did.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom