STrib: McBrayer and Murphy are starting to look like genuine star material

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

It's a freshman world. As the season draws to a close, both freshmen Dupree McBrayer and Jordan Murphy are starting to look like genuine star material. We saw Murphy play like this early on, but now he seems to be hitting a new stride again. Tuesday, he was in full non-conference mode, totally taking advantage of the mismatches he had inside. McBrayer, meanwhile, is starting to play like the guy coach Richard Pitino has been talking about for weeks. He's changing the game with his attack, taking good shots and hey, making them. It's a good look for a team on its way out, with youth driving the team next year.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-gives-minnesota-two-straight-wins/369919521/

Go Gophers!!

Murphy needs to learn that it's acceptable to occasionally kick the ball out once he gets it inside.

Murphy needs to learn that it's acceptable to occasionally kick the ball out once he gets it inside.

Unusual comment, in light of the OP and his game yesterday, where he was facing small opponents and had 4 slam dunk baskets.

I would have worded it differently, but he does tend to force it at times when he shouldn't. He'll figure it out though, he's only a freshman.

Are you saying he is a ball hog, or he is lacking in court vision due to inexperience?

Are you saying he is a ball hog, or he is lacking in court vision due to inexperience?

The theory from section 217 was that he needs to get more confidence in the outside shooters and may have been told to jam it in. It was clear he was being double/triple teamed and against a better opponent would not have had that kind of success. I think he will get a lot better at the kick out as he gains experience. Does not strike me as a ball hog in the least. A big guy who takes it strong to the basket is a rare thing in recent Gopher history. It's nice to see.

These two are extremely impressive. I actually think Dorsey is going to be REAL good too. Dorsey is a step quicker than everyone, when he gets a better understanding of how to use that quickness, watch out.

As far as Murphy, he really reminds me of Kenneth Faried. I'm not sure Murphy is quite the athlete, but they are really similar body types, style, athleticism (they both really are explosive). The article in the Strib discusses the possibility of what Murphy will become with a bit more polish, that's probably true. However, his skill, IMO, is in being a super productive, junkyard dog type of PF.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like when he gets the ball in the post, it rarely comes out of there. Last night it worked, because Rutgers offered little resistance. I know Dodd and Uthoff had a bunch of blocks the prior two games.

These two are extremely impressive. I actually think Dorsey is going to be REAL good too. Dorsey is a step quicker than everyone, when he gets a better understanding of how to use that quickness, watch out.

As far as Murphy, he really reminds me of Kenneth Faried. I'm not sure Murphy is quite the athlete, but they are really similar body types, style, athleticism (they both really are explosive). The article in the Strib discusses the possibility of what Murphy will become with a bit more polish, that's probably true. However, his skill, IMO, is in being a super productive, junkyard dog type of PF.
I've been saying for a while I think he's a similar player to Elias Harris, a 4 year stud at Gonzaga but was a little too undersized to become anything more than a fringe NBA guy.

I'd love to see Murphy develop a mid range game. Not to the point that he becomes in love with it and it compromises his inside game and aggressiveness, but man if he was a bit more of a threat on screen n roll, drag screens in transition and such, he could be a real weapon. We've seen he can drive on bigs with ease, so if they have to respect him even out to 17 feet, he's a mismatch nightmare.

Dupree is coming along too. I like the way he's able to impact a game without necessarily scoring a lot. Not sure I see him being a high double-digit scorer anytime soon, but I could see him being a consistent 9-12 points, 3-5 rebounds, 3-5 assists PLUS very good defender. If he becomes even a 35% 3-point shooter, he's going to be very good.

I've been saying for a while I think he's a similar player to Elias Harris, a 4 year stud at Gonzaga but was a little too undersized to become anything more than a fringe NBA guy.

Elias Harris is a really good comp for Murphy. Plays the same way. Harris never developed a perimeter game necessary to make it in the NBA, which made him a better college guy because he stuck around and did what he did well.

I'd loooove if Murphy could have a career similar to Harris. Consistent 14 and 8 guy for like 3 years.

I'd love to see Murphy develop a mid range game. Not to the point that he becomes in love with it and it compromises his inside game and aggressiveness, but man if he was a bit more of a threat on screen n roll, drag screens in transition and such, he could be a real weapon. We've seen he can drive on bigs with ease, so if they have to respect him even out to 17 feet, he's a mismatch nightmare.

Dupree is coming along too. I like the way he's able to impact a game without necessarily scoring a lot. Not sure I see him being a high double-digit scorer anytime soon, but I could see him being a consistent 9-12 points, 3-5 rebounds, 3-5 assists PLUS very good defender. If he becomes even a 35% 3-point shooter, he's going to be very good.

Agree about the mid range game for Murphy. I think he needs to stop shooting the 3's for now and concentrate on the mid range jumpers.

The way McBrayer moves and his being left handed make me think of Jalen Rose. McBrayer doesn't have the same overall talent level of course but he is really developing nicely.

The way McBrayer moves and his being left handed make me think of Jalen Rose. McBrayer doesn't have the same overall talent level of course but he is really developing nicely.

Good comparison! Same kind of body and agility.

Yeah, very good post.

McBrayer has the most interesting game to me. Don't see the tools for him to really be a high level scorer because of the jumper but he has good instincts and a nice feel for getting into the lane. Said before that Dorsey reminds me of one of those MSU guys that don't look like much for 1-2 years but steadily develop into really good players. As he improves not only his shot but also his understanding of the game he could become a very good player. Murphy is the one that could become a lead scorer for a good team. He'll be either too big or too quick for most 4s and his ability to both post and step out to the 3 makes him a handful

Murphy will even get better with a legitimate center (Lynch) to play with. I see those two controlling the boards next year. Konate has no offensive skills at all.

Love McBrayer going to the rim to finish or kick out to shooters.

He does need to learn how to a little Steph Curry arch on that 3 point shot before he becomes a legit threat.

Only 4 games, but Dupree has made 6-10 from 3 over those games and also knocked down some 2 pt. jumpers. Prior to that he'd made just 6 3s all year Chicken/egg situation perhaps but he's showed a greater willingness to take them, and he's made them. Maybe, just maybe a sign of things to come. Here's to hoping.

When Dupree beats his defender and dribbles towards the basket, he tends to stop when he gets there instead of continuing through. He gets his shot blocked or at best he is fouled, but if he would continue through he may get a basket and one, w/o letting his defender catch up to him.

the kids

Dupree was known as a good 3 pt shooter coming out of high school. I think he will continue to improve there. I also think he is a bit streaky of a 3pt shooter ala Austin Hollins. Dorsey never was a shooter. With his athleticism, he would have been a top 50 player if he was a shooter. Al Nolen is probably a good comparison, he was very underappreciated in his time for having one weakness.. outside shooting. Dorsey is quicker but al was great on defense, just like Dorsey has the potential to be.

Only 4 games, but Dupree has made 6-10 from 3 over those games and also knocked down some 2 pt. jumpers. Prior to that he'd made just 6 3s all year Chicken/egg situation perhaps but he's showed a greater willingness to take them, and he's made them. Maybe, just maybe a sign of things to come. Here's to hoping.

Dupree was known as a good 3 pt shooter coming out of high school. I think he will continue to improve there. I also think he is a bit streaky of a 3pt shooter ala Austin Hollins. Dorsey never was a shooter. With his athleticism, he would have been a top 50 player if he was a shooter. Al Nolen is probably a good comparison, he was very underappreciated in his time for having one weakness.. outside shooting. Dorsey is quicker but al was great on defense, just like Dorsey has the potential to be.

I see Dorsey's shot improving, which would be very Nolen / Eric Harris / Aaron Robinson. That's a huge weapon for a PG to have.

Al Nolen could get buy anyone. Had the touch of an ogre around the rim though. His outside shot became serviceable by the end of his career.

Murphy reminds me of Dennis Rodman in that he has a quick hop when he's near the rim. Most people have to gather themselves to jump, but Murphy just rises from the push he generates from his calves. You don't see any knee bend, which makes his jump a split second faster than his opponents. Rodman had the same ability, which allowed him to be a great, undersized, rebounder. Next time Murphy plays, watch his jump.

Murphy reminds me of Dennis Rodman in that he has a quick hop when he's near the rim. Most people have to gather themselves to jump, but Murphy just rises from the push he generates from his calves. You don't see any knee bend, which makes his jump a split second faster than his opponents. Rodman had the same ability, which allowed him to be a great, undersized, rebounder. Next time Murphy plays, watch his jump.

That's one of the things I look for when I'm trying to figure out whether a college player has a shot at the NBA - natural explosiveness and economy of motion.

I'd argue finishing around the rim was a pretty big weakness as well. Dorsey is definitely better in that regard, although he does get blocked more often.

Al Nolen could get buy anyone. Had the touch of an ogre around the rim though. His outside shot became serviceable by the end of his career.

Just seeing Al Nolan's name makes me cringe at the memory of Hoffarber playing point. What that team could have been.

Yea Nolan was a nice player and could've got by without the jumper but he was Rubio like around the rim as well. Odd how scoring touch is such a real thing that really can't be taught. Some guys just see angles and have a natural feel for where and when to release shots in the lane and others don't.

Odd how scoring touch is such a real thing that really can't be taught. Some guys just see angles and have a natural feel for where and when to release shots in the lane and others don't.

Not a gopher, but a local kid, I can't think of a better example of that than Cameron Rundles.

Dupree was known as a good 3 pt shooter coming out of high school.

To me he seamed more comfortable pulling up off the dribble shooting that 3 at the end of the Rutgers game than he has on a lot of his catch and shoot jumpers. I don't remember much of his HS highlight real but I wonder if it is either just more confidence now or if he is more used to shooting the 3 off the dribble?

Top Bottom