STrib: Kyler Baugh was lynchpin behind Gophers' defensive dominance

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

Baugh was the lynchpin of a defense that limited Eastern Michigan to two first-half field goals and 152 yards for the game. The first of his two sacks came on the Eagles' first possession, and he finished with three tackles and four quarterback pressures. He also had a third sack wiped out by a defensive holding call on Aidan Gousby. Baugh received a strong 80.9 grade from Pro Football Focus, the best among Gophers defensive players, and his 82.3 pass rush grade was a big improvement from the 58.6 he had against Nebraska.

"I love talking to NFL scouts about him because he's got that Mighty Mouse-type mentality,'' Fleck said of the 6-2, 305-pound transfer from Houston Baptist. "He'd kill me if he heard me say that.''

Led by Baugh, the Gophers collected four sacks Saturday, with linebacker Maverick Baranowski and cornerback Tre'Von Jones also taking down Smith. The Eagles quarterback completed only nine of 20 passes for 71 yards.

The Gophers' pass rush produced only 19 sacks in 2022 but already has seven through two games. Fleck prioritized improving that aspect of the defense, and the hiring of former Gophers defensive end Winston DeLattiboudere III as defensive line coach helped in that area.

"Our pass rush has definitely evolved compared to last year,'' Baugh said. "All winter, all summer, we've been working on the pass rush and just getting better at the fundamentals. And I feel like now we're getting to see our hard work pay off.''

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom