STrib: Kill seeks recruits whose hearts are with the Gophers, says he wont beg others

The art of the sell is to change the framework so that the individual reconsiders and becomes engaged in the possibility of enjoying the product. Just saying they won't beg tells me they won't provide the necessary imagery to connect the player to the school. There is never a need to beg. Where does that even enter their minds!

There is significant evidence that successful sales people believe in their product and are committed to their organizations success. Because of their commitment, they perform better and this has been proven true by studies again and again. Those that lag, usually don't have as strong of commitment to the organization. Because Jerry Kill has moved from one organization to the next, we can deduce that this is not his preferred stop and that he does indeed have a hidden agenda to be at an even better football school. Either that, or his strategy is an outlier of extraordinary weight.

The whole self selection commitment strategy is common to all colleges football teams. If the players don't want to be there, they announce which schools they would prefer and they seek those scholarships.

There must be some other strategy being used by Jerry Kill and company.

All good marketing/sales organizations continuously improve on past performance through improved marketing campaigns, improved product, and focusing on those factors that gain the commitment of the staff to continue to sell the product. With a long term trend line of not gaining any traction in the early commitment period, it would be fair to deduce that this staff have problems with recruiting.

What would you do to get Jerry Kill and staff to get motivated to land a few good recruits at the beginning of each recruiting year?

There is significant evidence that successful sales people believe in their product and are committed to their organizations success. Because of their commitment, they perform better and this has been proven true by studies again and again. Those that lag, usually don't have as strong of commitment to the organization. Because Jerry Kill has moved from one organization to the next, we can deduce that this is not his preferred stop and that he does indeed have a hidden agenda to be at an even better football school. Either that, or his strategy is an outlier of extraordinary weight.

Because he has changed schools before means he will change schools again... That's quite the leap. While I don't necessarily disagree with the conclusion, just don't believe it's that simple.

You're last two posts have drawn a pretty firm tie between sales and recruiting. While I believe there are similarities and you can definitely tie successful salesmen traits to successful recruiters, I think you have to stop short of saying the scholarship is a "product" and then should run your recruiting strategy per the same guidelines most sales/marketing strategies are run.

To answer your question at the end of your post, incent him. However, as most incentives often incur, there is a drawback. You always must ask, what if you get what I "want"? What if he signs a bunch of early recruits because that's what you want? What if they aren't the kind of recruit he should be landing, but just someone to sign to get the incentive? Was it worth getting that early recruit?

I don't think Kill is a salesmen and I don't think scholarships are a product. So as someone who runs a sales company, I agree with your post, I don't think its as relative as you are making it out to be.

Because he has changed schools before means he will change schools again... That's quite the leap. While I don't necessarily disagree with the conclusion, just don't believe it's that simple.

You're last two posts have drawn a pretty firm tie between sales and recruiting. While I believe there are similarities and you can definitely tie successful salesmen traits to successful recruiters, I think you have to stop short of saying the scholarship is a "product" and then should run your recruiting strategy per the same guidelines most sales/marketing strategies are run.

To answer your question at the end of your post, incent him. However, as most incentives often incur, there is a drawback. You always must ask, what if you get what I "want"? What if he signs a bunch of early recruits because that's what you want? What if they aren't the kind of recruit he should be landing, but just someone to sign to get the incentive? Was it worth getting that early recruit?

I don't think Kill is a salesmen and I don't think scholarships are a product. So as someone who runs a sales company, I agree with your post, I don't think its as relative as you are making it out to be.

It's pretty simple, Kill does best when he gets kids who are raw athletic "grinders", his coaching style and that of his staff is not going to be every recruits cup o tea.
I doubt he would give an ultimatum to commit or not to every top kid, but I do think the staff got stung by Blasingame and Ragnow and they are going to be extra careful to make sure the kids they bring in/commit are going to stay and work hard.
If Kill can replicate the formula he used in Southern Illinois and Northern Illinois in the B1G others will sprint to replicate his success. His style is the opposite of several other coaches in the B1G and time will tell whether developing grinders matches up with "begging" top talent to come play for similar programs.

At some point if the wins come, people will just have to admit Kill knows what he's doing in regards to recruiting.

I disagree with the statement that Kill is not a salesman. All coaches on this level are absolutely salesmen, they have to be because they are competing for the same players with other schools and they have to convince the kid to sign with them.

Kill is a different type of salesman than Brew was, but in the end they were/are both trying to sell the University of Minnesota to a recruit. It is just the nature of the game.

I disagree with the statement that Kill is not a salesman. All coaches on this level are absolutely salesmen, they have to be because they are competing for the same players with other schools and they have to convince the kid to sign with them.

Kill is a different type of salesman than Brew was, but in the end they were/are both trying to sell the University of Minnesota to a recruit. It is just the nature of the game.

I think everyone agrees that coaches have to sell. What I said is that he is not a salesmen, his job description does not say salesmen.

Top Bottom