STrib: Kill fallout: Contracts offered, roles changed for assistants

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

One side effect of Gophers coach Jerry Kill’s retirement Wednesday is it automatically terminated the contracts of the remaining nine top assistant coaches, under the language of those deals.

Defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys and offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover were under contract through June 30, 2017. And the other seven assistants had deals through June 30, 2016. Interim athletic director Beth Goetz offered those nine coaches new contracts this week that would pay them through Jan. 31, 2016, with the potential to be extended. Those deals are being finalized, sources said.

Claeys has been promoted to interim head coach and is expected to get a raise from his $616,000 salary. Limegrover is making $566,000, and the other seven assistants are making between $208,000 and $269,000.

and...

Defensive backs coach Jay Sawvel coaches special teams as well. And Claeys told KFAN that Sawvel will help with the defensive calls Saturday against Michigan.

http://www.startribune.com/kill-fallout-contracts-offered-roles-changed-for-assistants/338579781/

Go Gophers!!

Not sure how long they can hold out recruiting wise with contracts through all of next year....

Yep. If it's part of their contracts it's a first step.

Why not give him a four-year contract with conditions to renegotiate better terms down the road? Recruiting is everything. This proposal run the risk of losing some of our top recruits.

Why not give him a four-year contract with conditions to renegotiate better terms down the road? Recruiting is everything. This proposal run the risk of losing some of our top recruits.

No it won't. This staff is not going anywhere. They are competent. The tell will be how we close the top recruits coming into the game with Michigan. I think we are still going to land some fine talent. Why? Minnesota is not going to stop building the program. The Athletic Village is approved. The coaching contracts are let and this group will be coaching next year. I think you will see a step forward in terms of versatility and flexibility in game management. The mathematician will not only play the odds, he will step outside of the odds. I think I actually like this structure better than with Jerry at the helm.

Because they're not going to just hand the job to Tracy Claeys regardless of what it may do to recruiting.

It seems the mystery of coach #9 was solved. Jay Nunez was promoted to Special Teams coach. I take that to mean that Sawvel will have more defensive game planning responsibilities.

It seems the mystery of coach #9 was solved. Jay Nunez was promoted to Special Teams coach. I take that to mean that Sawvel will have more defensive game planning responsibilities.

Claeys said as much.

Top Bottom