STrib: Keegan Cook On Year One

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Keegan Cook settled onto the couch in his still unfurnished office at the Bierman Athletic Building on Monday morning, his first year as Gophers volleyball coach bleeding into year two.

He had little time for reflecting, or decorating, the hectic personnel decisions after a season keeping him as busy as the season itself.

So far, none of his players were leaving via the transfer portal.

"No one has said that, yet, which I think in itself is a victory," Cook said. "If it plays out, if we make it through this holiday period without losing anybody, I think it says a lot."

Additions were also possible; his staff was preparing to host a potential transfer this week that could have an immediate impact.

The Gophers won't need a lot of help if their core roster returns, but they will have to replace graduates Kylie Murr and middle blocker Phoebe Awoleye. Their two incoming recruits, Wayzata standouts and twins Stella and Olivia Swenson, are keys to the future just not at those positions

Gophers finished 2-11 against top 30 teams. I'd argue Baylor was not top 30 and that record should be 1-11. As a matter of fact, Baylor was the only #20-30 team they played, so that's 1-11 against top 20.

Can we assume they were a solid #21-35? Maybe. But we have zero proof. Considering they went 5 with Iowa, Indiana and Northwestern, and lost to Rutgers and Maryland, I have a hard time putting any positive spin on it -- tough schedule or not.

I still don't know how they improve without Murr and Awoleye. Unless, of course, the players mentioned in the article take huge steps forward. It's going to be tough. The B1G is not getting any easier.

Top Bottom