Strib/Joe Mauer/Football Article

FreakyDeke

picked a dumb moniker
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sports/t...kD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUycaEacyU

Kind of a pointless read, but it made me think of a question I never understood. This article jokes that Joe Mauer has eligibility and if he wants to play for the Gophers he could. Zibikowski (sp?) did something similar with his boxing career at Notre Dame, where making money in a different sport didn't affect his eligibility in football. Why was it, then, that Jeremy Bloom wasn't allowed to do it with skiing when he was at Colorado?

Joe Mauer, Larry Fitz and MBIII were all seniors in MN the same year.

Was he trying to do both at the same time? If he was then maybe the rule is you can't earn endoresement money in another sports while you are actively part of a college sport.

Brew has gotta get in his ear right now, this guy could be a game changer for us!

Was he trying to do both at the same time? If he was then maybe the rule is you can't earn endoresement money in another sports while you are actively part of a college sport.

He was, but so did Zibikowski. I remember because Charlie Weiss said something like "Professional boxing is a great summer job for him."

I'm not interested, do you see how he stares down the second base when he throws there. He never looks off to third first or checks down to first.

The Weber Myth Engineers would be all over the favorite son of St. Paul.

Jeremy Bloom's money came from endorsements. Endorsements are treated differently.

Therefore, I am not certain that Joe Mauer could still go play at the Gophers. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I know that Jeremy Bloom could not play football because he had received endorsement money. His argument was that in pro skiing, the only way to be a pro skiier is through endorsement money, so the NCAA would essentially be treating pro skiiers different from pro baseball players (who get paid by the team) in terms of eligibility.

So I am not sure Joe Mauer could play college football, unless they changed the rule.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Eric Decker earning pro baseball money this past year?

EDIT: maybe he wasn't earning endorsement money so it's fine then.

Anyone remember Chris Weinke? Played for the Toronto Blue Jays, then on the Florida State. Yeah, that Weinke from Cretin.

Decker was drafted by the Twins, who offered him a contract. He declined it and to the best of my knowledge he will earn his first dime of professional sports (endorsement or otherwise) money will be when he signs with the Broncos.

Incidently, i do remember reading something to the effect that the Twins offered him a contract that was basically free money to have his baseball rights after football even if he never picked up a glove and bat again, while not affecting his football amateur status. He politely told the Twins that he was going to play football and he was going to focus only on football. he could have taken the money and ran, but he didnt. Also, if i remember correctly the source was the article in the STrib involving the daily stuff of teh Twins, not the Gophers.

Anyone remember Chris Weinke? Played for the Toronto Blue Jays, then on the Florida State. Yeah, that Weinke from Cretin.

Weinke never played for the Blue Jays. He did make it to AAA Syracuse, where he batted a robust .186 in his last season.

Weinke never played for the Blue Jays. He did make it to AAA Syracuse, where he batted a robust .186 in his last season.

That is pro baseball, he got paid. And he did for about 3 years. My word he was what 23 year old freshman?

That is pro baseball, he got paid. And he did for about 3 years. My word he was what 23 year old freshman?

Never said it wasn't pro baseball, nor that he never got paid. Just that he never played for the Blue Jays, which is a fact. And it was 6 years.

He actually made a ton of money playing baseball, he was an early pick (1st or 2nd round).

Top Bottom