STrib: In the City, football is battling a decline

Not all news needs to be breaking news.
No it doesn't. But considering inner city football has been dying since the early 80s and been dead since the late 90s early 00s.....he may as well come out with the headline that gopher basketball has an academic scandal....it's more recent.

No it doesn't. But considering inner city football has been dying since the early 80s and been dead since the late 90s early 00s.....he may as well come out with the headline that gopher basketball has an academic scandal....it's more recent.

Except that such an article wouldn't be accurate. The basketball team had an academic scandal, but that is in the past. It's not currently true. The current state of high school football is by definition recent.

Except that such an article wouldn't be accurate. The basketball team had an academic scandal, but that is in the past. It's not currently true. The current state of high school football is by definition recent.

I guess I just hate local news.
There is no news so they just write the obvious and present it as news.

It isn't obvious at all. How would people know this if it wasn't reported?

It isn't obvious at all. How would people know this if it wasn't reported?

Anyone who follows MN HS sports at all would realize that the athletes at inner city schools are going to suburban and private schools. It's really not that complicated. I could see some people not realizing it, and then this article is for them.

However, the article is incredibly illogical. He is making the argument that all of the talent is leaving the inner city (true) to go to private and suburban schools (true) and that is part of the reason why the Gophers haven't been successful (huh?). The kids are going to other LOCAL schools. It isn't a reduction in talent in the metro area, it's a redistribution of the talent from the inner city to private schools and suburban schools. His logic isn't only off, it's borderline schizo.

On one hand he talks about Seantrel Henderson choosing CDH over Henry, and then in the next paragraph he talks about the drought in local talent available to the U. Seantrel isn't any less available to the U at CDH than he is at North. They are both within a 10 mile radius of the U.

If you look at the amount of talent from Minneapolis and Saint Paul over the past 5 years, it's quite impressive. It wouldn't matter to the U whether these kids were at CDH, Hopkins, Armstrong or Holy Angels...

Our problems isn't that their isn't talent coming out of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, it's that the talent often doesn't choose the U.

Our problems isn't that their isn't talent coming out of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, it's that the talent often doesn't choose the U.
It's both, quite frankly. There are 9 players from the metro this year with a Big Ten offer, increased in large part due to the amount of scholarships Kill has had to offer, and the degree to which he's been willing to offer them to marginal local kids (Duke, Ben). In the years before it's been:

2011: 6
2010: 9
2009: 6
2008: 10
2007: 11

That's ok, but a metro area like Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Indianapolis which, by themselves, are smaller than the Twin Cities, can expect to produce 15-20 Big Ten football players a year.

It's both, quite frankly. There are 9 players from the metro this year with a Big Ten offer, increased in large part due to the amount of scholarships Kill has had to offer, and the degree to which he's been willing to offer them to marginal local kids (Duke, Ben). In the years before it's been:

2011: 6
2010: 9
2009: 6
2008: 10
2007: 11

That's ok, but a metro area like Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Indianapolis which, by themselves, are smaller than the Twin Cities, can expect to produce 15-20 Big Ten football players a year.

I guess I was speaking in terms of this article. You'd be silly to compare the football in Ohio with the football in Minnesota, and Indianapolis has traditionally had good football as well. It's just different in those areas. It'd be like comparing the population density to football players in Mississippi and Iowa.

My point was that with the decay of the MPLS City and Saint Paul City conferences, there has not been a reduction in talent leaving those areas. The talent that was already there has probably slightly improved (with MN catching up in terms of summer passing camps, etc.), but that the talent from those inner cities has dispersed to private and suburban schools. It has been a decline of the Minneapolis City Conference football teams, it hasn't been a decline in talented football players from Mpls.

As far as comparing the talent in the metro to those other areas. You're right. I never tried to give the impression that I thought the TC Metro was anywhere near elite in terms of producing football players.

Top Bottom