STrib: Holiday Bowl official: "We actually felt like we got a steal with the Gophers"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
STrib: Holiday Bowl official: "We actually felt like we got a steal with the Gophers"

per Joe:

“The Gophers stood out to us from a football perspective because of how balanced they are,” Beathard said in a telephone interview this week. “You look at their 8-4 record, and three of the losses were one-score games. If a play or two goes the other way, you’re looking at totally different postseason implications.

“We actually felt like we got a steal with the Gophers, and Washington State has that electric offense.”

Beathard noted that it was “50 degrees warmer” in San Diego, as he was talking. He mentioned the beaches, the “World Famous San Diego Zoo,” Sea World and the area’s 80 golf courses as other attractions Minnesota fans could take in while visiting.

http://www.startribune.com/holiday-...ke-we-got-a-steal-with-the-gophers/405258706/

Go Gophers!!

I mean they're not going to say bad things about us...

I mean they're not going to say bad things about us...

Right? While I'm glad he's complimentary, what is he going to say, "we felt like Iowa or Nebraska would travel better and make us more money, but the Outback and B1G bowl rules shafted us, so here we are."

instead of the endless self loathing and s***ing on the gophs (from our own fanbase no less) im gonna echo this assessment about the team anecdotally. i recently moved across the country to an east coast city with a ton of sec/acc fans and this is the assessment i get from nearly all of them. instead of thinking 'we **** the bed and this is a disappointment' im getting a healthy dose of 'man if you guys had a competent QB y'all would've won the B1G west'.

also fwiw our defense has been called 'hard hitting' and 'surprisingly nasty' multiple times - even got a 'i thought y'all were supposed to be minnesota nice, nothing about that hit was'

Right? While I'm glad he's complimentary, what is he going to say, "we felt like Iowa or Nebraska would travel better and make us more money, but the Outback and B1G bowl rules shafted us, so here we are."

That would be honesty...

What was the pecking order this year? Or in other words, who were their other options? That is the easiest way to know how a bowl feels about your school because yeah, everything they say is going to be positive and put the best possible spin on things in order to try and get people excited.

We're the Holiday bowl, we take what we can get man!

instead of the endless self loathing and s***ing on the gophs (from our own fanbase no less) im gonna echo this assessment about the team anecdotally. i recently moved across the country to an east coast city with a ton of sec/acc fans and this is the assessment i get from nearly all of them. instead of thinking 'we **** the bed and this is a disappointment' im getting a healthy dose of 'man if you guys had a competent QB y'all would've won the B1G west'.

also fwiw our defense has been called 'hard hitting' and 'surprisingly nasty' multiple times - even got a 'i thought y'all were supposed to be minnesota nice, nothing about that hit was'

Agree totally. Was in Madison for the Badger game, talked to a lot of Badger fans afterwards at the bars, and almost all of them thought we probably would have won the game and the west division with a good quarterback. This isn't to rip on Mitch, but I think the perception of our team among people that follow college football isn't that bad.

What was the pecking order this year? Or in other words, who were their other options? That is the easiest way to know how a bowl feels about your school because yeah, everything they say is going to be positive and put the best possible spin on things in order to try and get people excited.

Here is the procedure: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...c_non_event/Bowl_Determination_Procedures.pdf

In this case tOSU, PSU, MI and WI all ended up in the NY6 Bowls.

Because MI is in the Orange the B1G doesn't get a team in the Citrus.

Outback got to pick next and took Iowa. Note Iowa was there in 2013 but I think the five teams in six years started after that (pretty sure it was 2014). Had they chosen Nebraska, I'm pretty sure the Gophers would have dropped to the Music City as the Holiday would have almost certainly taken IA.

Holiday picked next and could have requested NE, MN, NW, MD or IN. However, they have to take five different teams in six years and NE was there in 2014. So had they taken NE, they could have been painted into a corner in the next few years (depending on eligible teams that are available for them each year they theoretically could have run out of slots). As the B1G has a say, we'll probably never know who they actually requested, but it's likely they chose MN. Of the options, it probably made the most sense.

Music City was next and (I'm sure) jumped at the opportunity to get NE.

Agree totally. Was in Madison for the Badger game, talked to a lot of Badger fans afterwards at the bars, and almost all of them thought we probably would have won the game and the west division with a good quarterback. This isn't to rip on Mitch, but I think the perception of our team among people that follow college football isn't that bad.

I'm in PAC-12 country, so little B1G discussion. When it does happen, MN is generally talked as a peer to Illinois and Maryland, and then Purdue, Indiana and Rutgers being the perceived lowest tier. Before some cat takes a huge dump on this, I'm just sharing what I've heard in general discussion with CU Buffs fans. I think it's good just to be aware of general program perception. We are not viewed as particularly competent or scary to play. My comeback is that CU was viewed the same way until this breakout season. It's the type of run we need.

A lot of Gopher fans felt if the Gophers had a competent QB (At least one that didn't telegraph and turn the damn ball over so much) that they would have won the Big 10 West also. Some of the pieces were in place to make a run at the Big 10 West. Would also have helped if Gophers had wide receivers that go after the dang football and actually use there body's to shield late throws, or continue to run through routes to catch the football instead of diving or coming up short. Would have helped if the players that got in trouble after the first game, hadn't gotten involved in that situation and the suspensions had not occurred, especially against Penn State. The Penn State hangover carried over to the Iowa game, even with the lousy offense the Gophers should have beaten the Hawkeyes at home.

You can also create an endless list of college and pro coaches who were fired because they could never find/develop a competent QB. That's a part of the job description.

You can also create an endless list of college and pro coaches who were fired because they could never find/develop a competent QB. That's a part of the job description.

Here you go again blaming TC for our QB situation. Just keep beating that drum GWG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This reminds me of every NBA or NFL general manager when discussing their first-round draft choice. "Wow, we couldn't believe he was still there. He was the highest rated player on our boards!"

Here you go again blaming TC for our QB situation. Just keep beating that drum GWG.

wouldn't that be more on Kill? fwiw, I have friends in austin saying that the problem Strong had was he couldn't get the QB he needed.

wouldn't that be more on Kill? fwiw, I have friends in austin saying that the problem Strong had was he couldn't get the QB he needed.

Of course it would be more on Kill. However, a certain poster on here has been adamant that this should be considered TC's 5th year and that he deserves blame for our QB situation. Never mind the entire chain of command responsible is gone (Z, Limey, Kill) - 2/3 of it because of the QB situation.

I've heard similar things from several out-of-state friends. Sort of a "you guys are sneaky and very close to breaking through." The QB thing I have heard too. Sigh.

yes!! the holiday bowl likes us, they really like us!!

I've heard similar things from several out-of-state friends. Sort of a "you guys are sneaky and very close to breaking through." The QB thing I have heard too. Sigh.

I hear the same from others out of state.... We are knocking on the door.
You'd never know it here in Minnesota though, and I honestly feel that out local media plays a very big part in that...

Of course it would be more on Kill. However, a certain poster on here has been adamant that this should be considered TC's 5th year and that he deserves blame for our QB situation. Never mind the entire chain of command responsible is gone (Z, Limey, Kill) - 2/3 of it because of the QB situation.

And once again you have failed to comprehend anything I've said on this subject. Claeys and Johnson could have brought in a JUCO and/or a transfer last year. Leidner regressed under Johnson this year. You continue to have blind faith that a lifelong defensive coordinator and an offensive coordinator from Louisiana-Lafayette will recruit and coach up a better QB. Sorry that I have my doubts.

I hear the same from others out of state.... We are knocking on the door.
You'd never know it here in Minnesota though, and I honestly feel that out local media plays a very big part in that...

Believing that we are somehow knocking on the door despite losing to every team that would traditionally be considered better than us is a limiting thought. We have to be honest about the program and the truth is they lost every meaningful game this year and have lost nearly all of those games over the last few decades.

The rest of the country does not believe we're about to break through to the upper tier of the B1G and they are right to doubt. Until we string together wins against tough opponents the Gophers are who they've proven to be.

Believing that we are somehow knocking on the door despite losing to every team that would traditionally be considered better than us is a limiting thought. We have to be honest about the program and the truth is they lost every meaningful game this year and have lost nearly all of those games over the last few decades.

The rest of the country does not believe we're about to break through to the upper tier of the B1G and they are right to doubt. Until we string together wins against tough opponents the Gophers are who they've proven to be.

Guess every poster was just making those comments they "heard" up. Based on your posts, you are obviously a national/countrywide expert in what others think about the Gophs.

Really got to ask, are all your pills bitter?

dude reread my post, specifically the part about self loathing because this is the kind of crap that the twin cities sports media sells to sad souls like you.

you know why reusse stayed in the twin cities market? all the half decent ones were smart enough to get out because this attitude is so prevalent, idk if its the weather or what but you just sound miserable

our defense has been called 'hard hitting' and 'surprisingly nasty' multiple times - even got a 'i thought y'all were supposed to be minnesota nice, nothing about that hit was'
With the targeting penalties to back it up!

dude reread my post, specifically the part about self loathing because this is the kind of crap that the twin cities sports media sells to sad souls like you.

you know why reusse stayed in the twin cities market? all the half decent ones were smart enough to get out because this attitude is so prevalent, idk if its the weather or what but you just sound miserable

It's not self loathing - I don't hate myself, other fans, or this program. I think if we're sincere in our discussion of the programs current state, we can improve our strengths and mitigate our weaknesses. I also don't particulaly love this town's media.

Deluding ourselves about who we currently are as a squad makes us seem like foolish fans, and we're not. We're a proud squad that should aspire but we're not close to breaking through right now - at least not based on recent evidence. You can fully support the Gophers and still be critical of program flaws that a coach or administrator can and should address.

Now dude read my post and stop having reactive conniptions.

I'm not speaking for the entire country, Dr. Phil. Just relaying what some friends have said.
Thanks for putting me in my place.

It's not self loathing - I don't hate myself, other fans, or this program. <b>I think if we're sincere in our discussion of the programs current state, we can improve our strengths and mitigate our weaknesses.</b> I also don't particulaly love this town's media.

<b>Deluding ourselves </b>about who we currently are as a squad makes us seem like foolish fans, and we're not. We're a proud squad that should aspire but we're not close to breaking through right now - at least not based on recent evidence. You can fully support the Gophers and still be critical of program flaws that a coach or administrator can and should address.

You think wrong. What we discuss on this board will have zero (as in zip, nada, none) effect. It won't improve our strengths nor mitigate our weaknesses. It is delusional to think any different.

As a fan it can only be for your enjoyment. You can be disappointed and frustrated, but you are spending your time and money on it so if this team pains you so much then why are you doing it? Your solution is easy and we all win.

I'm not speaking for the entire country, Dr. Phil. Just relaying what some friends have said.
Thanks for putting me in my place.

Apologies for any offense. I took the underlying point to be that others outside of Gopher fandom - the general college football fan - believe that this program is about to break through. That's not true. We are not thought of highly nationally but that could change with a season like what Colorado put together this year, and I think it's completely fair to think we can do it in a future season.

No need for name calling. We're both Gopher fans mate.

It's not self loathing - I don't hate myself, other fans, or this program. I think if we're sincere in our discussion of the programs current state, we can improve our strengths and mitigate our weaknesses. I also don't particulaly love this town's media.

Deluding ourselves about who we currently are as a squad makes us seem like foolish fans, and we're not. We're a proud squad that should aspire but we're not close to breaking through right now - at least not based on recent evidence. You can fully support the Gophers and still be critical of program flaws that a coach or administrator can and should address.

You need to stop taking yourself so seriously...we certainly don't. Lighten up Frances.

Top Bottom