STrib: Henry returns to practice; Streveler injures hand, Edwards likely to redshirt

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

* Freshman running back Berkley Edwards has returned from his sprained ankle injury, but it’s increasingly likely that he will redshirt. Kill mentioned the depth the Gophers have at running back, especially with Donnell Kirkwood back from his ankle injury.

“Donnell really practiced well the last two days; I think he’s starting to come on,” Kill said. “So I think we’ve got to be smart with what we do with Berkley. That’s a talented young man that you don’t want to burn a redshirt on unless you’re going to play him a lot.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/226229241.html

Go Gophers!!

Article also mentions Jones taking snaps at QB again. Please keep Jones at one position during the year. If we keep switching him back and forth the kid has little chance to succeed. He needs reps at WR, period.

streveler injured hand, its a precautionary measure spoofin.

streveler injured hand, its a precautionary measure spoofin.

Yes, I am aware if that. I still don't like him losing reps at WR. I think he may be one of the top 2-3 athletes on this team and I want him on the field. He needs to get reps for that to happen.

Freshman running back Berkley Edwards has returned from his sprained ankle injury, but it’s increasingly likely that he will redshirt. Kill mentioned the depth the Gophers have at running back, especially with Donnell Kirkwood back from his ankle injury.

“Donnell really practiced well the last two days; I think he’s starting to come on,” Kill said. “So I think we’ve got to be smart with what we do with Berkley. That’s a talented young man that you don’t want to burn a redshirt on unless you’re going to play him a lot.

I'm usually against burning a redshirt this late in the year and would only do it only if said player was 100% healthy but this offense needs someone some giddy-up. We've yet to see in the Kill era what a speedy running back can do in this offense. What better place to showcase young Berkeley than in his home state.

Yes, I am aware if that. I still don't like him losing reps at WR. I think he may be one of the top 2-3 athletes on this team and I want him on the field. He needs to get reps for that to happen.

Yup, needs to practice not getting the ball. Our 6th grade offense does not include the forward pass. At least at QB he might get to touch the ball.

Soneone has to run the scout team. As much as we need him to get reps at receiver we need a qb on the scout team too.

Burning Edwards' red-shirt at this point in the season would be utterly ridiculous.

Burning Edwards' red-shirt at this point in the season would be utterly ridiculous.

It would be ridiculous if he was only going to see extremely limited snaps. There are still 7, potentially 8 games left in the season and if the coaches believed he could add a missing dimension to the offense I would be 100% on board with pulling the red shirt.

That being said if Kill is talking potential redshirt I would say it becomes fairly likely that is what is going to happen, meaning they don't really feel he is ready to be an impact guy for the offense at this point.

Connor Rhoda, Dexter Foreman, just to name a few.

If either of those are at all capable of being a decent qb or mimicking Gardner it would be stupid to have Jones do it. Unfortunately none of us have any idea what those two are capable of so we have no way of knowing whether this is a good decision or not.

If either of those are at all capable of being a decent qb or mimicking Gardner it would be stupid to have Jones do it. Unfortunately none of us have any idea what those two are capable of so we have no way of knowing whether this is a good decision or not.

You also have no idea about the health status of the rest of the QB's, so it would also be stupid to assume this is a bad decision. Phil Nelson has a bad hamstring, pretty obvious watching the Iowa game. Chris Streveler hurt his hand (surgery likely). There is a real chance Jones would need to play QB on Saturday, seems like getting him some practice reps there migth be a good idea

Top Bottom