STrib: Gophers QB Athan Kaliakmanis: 'I'm nowhere near where I want to be'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

During the Gophers' bye week in mid-October, Kaliakmanis did some soul-searching. He knew he could be playing better and wanted to fix the issues that were preventing him from doing so.

"The bye week was a really hard week for me,'' he said. "I had to come to the realization that I'm not playing the way that I want to play, that I should be playing. It was a lot of deep thinking, a lot of film study.''

He sought out his coaches, too. "What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to get better?'' Kaliakmanis said. "… I'm still working on those things, but just realizing what they are is going to hopefully get me to my ultimate goal.'

Go Gophers!!

Odd thing. Our defense is losing us games, not our offense. But, like many, I find myself wanting to comment on the offense. Why? Because this year, for whatever reasons, our defense seems like a lost cause; too many problems to fix. Our defense isn't going to win us ANY games; but it has already lost us several. Our offense didn't really lose us the toss-up games against Northwestern, Illinois and Purdue. Our offense played well enough to win, if the defense had played simply at an average B1G success rate.

But our offense hasn't been good enough in several toss up games to effectively cover up for this year's poor defense and secure/protect a win. Our offense hasn't pulled away early (as Purdue to us) nor has it been able to make one or two critical (but not difficult) plays in crunch time to secure what should have been a win. In both the Northwestern and Illinois games, despite our massive defensive blunders, the offense could easily have saved the day with a few key plays. That is why I (and I think some others) keep ragging on the offense even though it is abundantly clear that our defense is the team's Achilles heel.

This year's defense seems unable take a big step forward; it is what it is. But the offense seems as though it still could take a meaningful step forward, if it would play better than simply "good enough to win" (assuming a competent defense)--if it would play aggressively and smartly to dominate and force a win (despite our defense). I believe the talent is there on offense to take such a step forward, to dominate. But I believe our conservatism on offense (which makes sense when you have a competent defense), holds the offense back excelling enough to "cover up" for the defense. I believe we can beat Wisconsin, in our last "toss-up" game, if our offense takes a step forward to dominate (as Purdue did to us) even if our defense craps the bed. And that is why my mind, perhaps unfairly, goes to improved offensive play as the key to 6 win season even though it is clear that our defense is the "problem." Go Gophers.

Odd thing. Our defense is losing us games, not our offense. But, like many, I find myself wanting to comment on the offense. Why? Because this year, for whatever reasons, our defense seems like a lost cause; too many problems to fix. Our defense isn't going to win us ANY games; but it has already lost us several. Our offense didn't really lose us the toss-up games against Northwestern, Illinois and Purdue. Our offense played well enough to win, if the defense had played simply at an average B1G success rate. But our offense hasn't been good enough in several toss up games to effectively cover up for this year's poor defense and secure/protect a win. Our offense hasn't pulled away early (as Purdue to us) nor has it been able to make one or two critical (but not difficult) plays in crunch time to secure what should have been a win. In both the Northwestern and Illinois games, despite our massive defensive blunders, the offense could easily have saved the day with a few key plays. That is why I (and I think some others) keep ragging on the offense even though it is abundantly clear that our defense is the team's Achilles heel. This year's defense seems unable take a big step forward; it is what it is. But the offense seems as though it still could take a meaningful step forward, if it would play better than simply "good enough to win" (assuming a competent defense)--if it would play aggressively and smartly to dominate and force a win (despite our defense). I believe the talent is there on offense to take such a step forward, to dominate. But I believe our conservatism on offense (which makes sense when you have a competent defense), holds the offense back excelling enough to "cover up" for the defense. I believe we can beat Wisconsin, in our last "toss-up" game, if our offense takes a step forward to dominate (as Purdue did to us) even if our defense craps the bed. And that is why my mind, perhaps unfairly, goes to improved offensive play as the key to 6 win season even though it is clear that our defense is the "problem." Go Gophers.
It’s a team game. The offense had chances to end the Illinois and NW games and failed. The Purdue gwme, I worry PJ has lost this team to injury and the result of failing to live up to expectation (clearly they thought they would at least challenge for the west). Lots of flaws across much of the team this year

One of you rubes posted a few weeks ago about how AK seems to be too hard on himself. I can see it now as well. I understand that he’s trying to be the leader and all, but my guy, just ease up and keep things simple.

50% completion rate is poor for a HS QB. They went all in on him since his Sophomore year in HS. No team will go deep with a QB that cannot make the pass, unless you are Elk River and throw the ball once a game. Give someone else a chance.

How would you know? Not sure we have the best route running receivers. He has had many drops and his protection is sketchy. He is fine, time to develop is needed.
I swear we drop about 5 balls every game. I know they’re college players but I’d be curious how they compare to other teams.

50% completion rate is poor for a HS QB. They went all in on him since his Sophomore year in HS. No team will go deep with a QB that cannot make the pass, unless you are Elk River and throw the ball once a game. Give someone else a chance.
Not that the Big Ten is great for QBs...but AK is a slightly below average Big Ten QB. The high school comparison is silly.

He's OK, but we got used to Morgan who was above average. I think part of the problem is that people had such high expectations for him and he's definitely under performed compared to the hype.

Not that the Big Ten is great for QBs...but AK is a slightly below average Big Ten QB. The high school comparison is silly.

He's OK, but we got used to Morgan who was above average. I think part of the problem is that people had such high expectations for him and he's definitely under performed compared to the hype.

People always equate physical tools to how good a QB can be. They saw that AK had better tools and just assumed he'd be more effective, which he's clearly not. There's so much more to QB play.

to win a game, you need to score 1 more point than the other team. Since Rossi took over as DC, that meant the Gophers typically needed to score 20 to 27 points to win. the offense focused on the running game and there was less pressure on the QB to make big plays or pull off a come-from-behind victory.

But - with the defensive issues this year, that means the offense has had to try and score more points to win games, putting more pressure on the QB - and the offense has come up short on several occasions.

look - it's not brain surgery - AK looks good when he can just drop back and let 'er rip. but when he has to throw a ball with more touch or timing, he doesn't look so good. can that be learned? I don't know.

Athan will have the off- season to improve, but it'll be interesting to see the Spring game and what the competition with Viotto and Lindsey looks like. Last spring we saw that until Athan clicked with Spencer toward the end, Kramer looked like he was having a better performance. I think mostly that was just a sign of Kramer's being more consistent, even if his ceiling was lower.

Both Viotto and Lindsey will be knocking on the door for a chance at QB 1, hopefully this is what Athan needs to really take a step forward.

People always equate physical tools to how good a QB can be. They saw that AK had better tools and just assumed he'd be more effective, which he's clearly not. There's so much more to QB play.

Amen.

neither are his passes...
Come on people, that's funny even if un-intended, just because how set up it is. AK is a little hard on himself, to constipated in the moment when playing at times. Go have fun, football is supposed to be fun. All these guys on the Gophers need to cut it loose a little bit. Nobody is expecting much Saturday, just go play and enjoy the moment and atmosphere, what's the worst that can happen. This week has been far to serious even the press conference. It's like someone kicked a puppy.

Last year when there was no pressure, less expectations with A K, he played pretty well. This year he is the man, and maybe his problems are the weight of having the starting pressure. Second halves have been almost an Achilles Heel for him, does the pressure build as the game goes on for him?

I wish he would run the ball more, dive less, take some hits, I think it would take his mind off the pressure loosen him up a bit, and just play. (Of course receivers not dropping the ball helps as well.)

Last year when there was no pressure, less expectations with A K, he played pretty well. This year he is the man, and maybe his problems are the weight of having the starting pressure. Second halves have been almost an Achilles Heel for him, does the pressure build as the game goes on for him?

I wish he would run the ball more, dive less, take some hits, I think it would take his mind off the pressure loosen him up a bit, and just play. (Of course receivers not dropping the ball helps as well.)
I think there’s more to it than drops, although there have been far too many of those. It’s just rare this year to see a receiver running open with a catch radius easy to hit. Because we need to give the line so much help with blocking Jackson is usually double covered.

AK often throws into double and even triple coverage. Yes, bad judgement on his part. Point being he hardly ever has a throw that doesn’t need to be perfect.

Watch on Saturday as the OSU QB is throwing to Harrison and the others with the closest defender three yards off.

to win a game, you need to score 1 more point than the other team. Since Rossi took over as DC, that meant the Gophers typically needed to score 20 to 27 points to win. the offense focused on the running game and there was less pressure on the QB to make big plays or pull off a come-from-behind victory.

But - with the defensive issues this year, that means the offense has had to try and score more points to win games, putting more pressure on the QB - and the offense has come up short on several occasions.

look - it's not brain surgery - AK looks good when he can just drop back and let 'er rip. but when he has to throw a ball with more touch or timing, he doesn't look so good. can that be learned? I don't know.

If you had a decent QB coach it can. But they let him play with that horse manure arm action. You've had 2 years before he had to be a full time starter to fix that and you didn't. And clearly Kramer isn't any better or he'd be playing. I'm hoping the kid from Arkansas can start next year.

Top Bottom