STrib: Gophers men's basketball team slowly assembles

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Freshman Martice Mitchell’s introduction to the Gophers men’s basketball team was anything but normal when he showed up to campus.

The 6-10 four-star recruit from Chicago moved into an apartment more than a week ago by himself. He was among seven arriving men’s basketball players who first had to pass COVID-19 protocols to use facilities and participate in voluntary activities.

In any other year, the campus would’ve been bustling with students in June. Athletic facilities would’ve been just as busy. And Richard Pitino’s entire team would’ve been together — an ideal environment for newcomers to acclimate.

Instead, during the pandemic, only a handful of players are present. They’re working out on their own, waiting for the rest of the roster to arrive.

“I can’t wait until they get here,” Mitchell said. “I have a good bond with them all.”

Among Pitino’s players on campus and cleared currently for voluntary workouts are Mitchell, Eric Curry, Jarvis Omersa, Gabe Kalscheur, Isaiah Ihnen, Hunt Conroy and Liam Robbins.

The other seven players, who are on their own outside of Minnesota, still connect on team Zoom calls.

“Everybody knows what you’re supposed to be doing,” Omersa said with regard to following health protocols and training. “If you’re not doing it, that will hurt you in the future.”

Go Gophers!!

This is either the new world of assembling a team or the same old way of creating a Middling to poor team That lacks depth, unity and team skills.

Are Carr and Mutaf going to be able to get in the country, will they have to quarantine for 14 days.

Getting all of the players together on an empty campus might just seem like a team building road trip. They will basically be isolated together....

Stay healthy young men, two Louisville basketball players test positive.

Stay healthy young men, two Louisville basketball players test positive.
Positive test really means nothing more than they might have a cold. I wish they would actually use a test that could isolate the strain everyone is actually afraid of. Testing positive for one of over 200 strands of known caronavirus does nothing more than spread fear and delay the return of sports.

Positive test really means nothing more than they might have a cold. I wish they would actually use a test that could isolate the strain everyone is actually afraid of. Testing positive for one of over 200 strands of known caronavirus does nothing more than spread fear and delay the return of sports.

This is not true for the viral test (test for current infection), only true for the antibody test (test for past infection). Article. I'm assuming if two Louisville players tested positive, and they're suspending workouts, they tested positive using the viral test.

This is not true for the viral test (test for current infection), only true for the antibody test (test for past infection). Article. I'm assuming if two Louisville players tested positive, and they're suspending workouts, they tested positive using the viral test.
I stand corrected. Still hadn't heard the actual pathogen has been able to be isolated yet regardless of the test.

I stand corrected. Still hadn't heard the actual pathogen has been able to be isolated yet regardless of the test.
I had not heard/read what you're saying, at all. My understanding is that the current tests for an active infection, amplify the genetic material for the virus and look for any pieces in that material that are specific to the virus that causes cv19.

I had not heard/read what you're saying, at all. My understanding is that the current tests for an active infection, amplify the genetic material for the virus and look for any pieces in that material that are specific to the virus that causes cv19.
From my understanding, there is not test that can exclusively isolate for covid-19 or sars-cov2 whatever they are saying we should be afraid of. The tests can detect a present strain of carona virus, but there are over 200 active strains of that. Some of which being the common cold or influenza.

From my understanding, there is not test that can exclusively isolate for covid-19 or sars-cov2 whatever they are saying we should be afraid of. The tests can detect a present strain of carona virus, but there are over 200 active strains of that. Some of which being the common cold or influenza.
Based on the fact that there are active efforts that track the exact genetic sequences of the currently active sars2 viruses strains around the world, I would assume it is not difficult to isolate/detect pieces of genetic material that are specific to just those species.

Check this out, when you get a chance: https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global?c=region

Also, in Google searching for the above link to share, I found this:

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/new-strain-covid-more-infectious-1.892276

New, more infectious strain of Covid-19 now dominates global cases of virus

• Researchers tracking the spread of Covid-19 around the world have discovered that viruses with a new variant have now overtaken the original strain
  • Analysis of the virus’s genome sequence found a mutation called ‘D614G’ made the virus more infectious than the original strain, but did not cause more severe disease
  • The global research team, including scientists from the University of Sheffield, had previously noted the rapidly increasing prevalence of viruses with D614G throughout the world

Also, in Google searching for the above link to share, I found this:

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/new-strain-covid-more-infectious-1.892276

New, more infectious strain of Covid-19 now dominates global cases of virus
  • Researchers tracking the spread of Covid-19 around the world have discovered that viruses with a new variant have now overtaken the original strain
  • Analysis of the virus’s genome sequence found a mutation called ‘D614G’ made the virus more infectious than the original strain, but did not cause more severe disease
  • The global research team, including scientists from the University of Sheffield, had previously noted the rapidly increasing prevalence of viruses with D614G throughout the world
I read that they are reclassifying the strain they say is going around as the bullets above indicate. Nothing I read mentioned the ability or effectiveness of current tests being used on the general populous. I could have missed that though, I read through quickly.

I read that they are reclassifying the strain they say is going around as the bullets above indicate. Nothing I read mentioned the ability or effectiveness of current tests being used on the general populous. I could have missed that though, I read through quickly.
What do you mean by reclassifying? There is some formal distinction between a strain and a whole new species. I don't know where the line is drawn, but it obviously has something to do with how much variation there is between two genetic sequences.

This link was more just a note about something interesting I found. Not in relation to effectiveness of tests for detecting specific strains or species.

Reclassify was a bad word. Identifying a new strain that is more infectious but not more deadly. I assumed you were posting a link related to testing as that is what I had been talking about previously.

Please do a little research before you start stating posting.

The U knows how to test for Covid-19 very accurately and it is not some generic virus test. It tests for specific parts of the genetic make up of the virus for COVID-19.

“method to detect the virus in individuals is based on detecting genetic material specific to SARS-CoV-2 viruses in a person’s nasopharyngeal secretions.”

The problems can take place when the swab doesn’t get a good sample.

The antibody testing was messed up when they allowed inaccurate tests to be used in a rush to get them out. Now there are many very accurate antibody tests available from reputable medical facilities.

Reclassify was a bad word. Identifying a new strain that is more infectious but not more deadly. I assumed you were posting a link related to testing as that is what I had been talking about previously.
No it was separate, sorry I didn't make that clear.

...and probably are healthy and fine, as are 99.99 percent of all young people that get it. Getting it may be a blessing at that age.
Until 40 years down the road you find out it increases the likelihood of alzheimer's by 50%.

Whoops, guess you shouldn't have gone to that covid party, when half your friends never got infected.

Yeah I made that up. But the point is: we don't know. Back when smoking was as common as drinking water, they didn't know either. It was just what you did.

Until 40 years down the road you find out it increases the likelihood of alzheimer's by 50%.

Whoops, guess you shouldn't have gone to that covid party, when half your friends never got infected.

Yeah I made that up. But the point is: we don't know. Back when smoking was as common as drinking water, they didn't know either. It was just what you did.
You can say the same thing about every flu ever, not a reason to hide in a hole the rest of your life.

You can say the same thing about every flu ever, not a reason to hide in a hole the rest of your life.
You can?? We’ve had flu’s for a very long time. They’ve never caused even a fraction of the odd, lingering, unexplainable symptoms that cv19 is causing in people.

The flu is very well characterized and known, at this point.

Cv19 is the opposite of that.

You can?? We’ve had flu’s for a very long time. They’ve never caused even a fraction of the odd, lingering, unexplainable symptoms that cv19 is causing in people.

If you have severe flu or viral pneumonia, you could definitely have lingering or long term health effects after recovery. There have been lingering issues with covid for sure, but I have not heard that this is true in every recovery or even most of them.

Please do a little research before you start stating posting.

The U knows how to test for Covid-19 very accurately and it is not some generic virus test. It tests for specific parts of the genetic make up of the virus for COVID-19.

“method to detect the virus in individuals is based on detecting genetic material specific to SARS-CoV-2 viruses in a person’s nasopharyngeal secretions.”

The problems can take place when the swab doesn’t get a good sample.

The antibody testing was messed up when they allowed inaccurate tests to be used in a rush to get them out. Now there are many very accurate antibody tests available from reputable medical facilities.
They do not know how accurate the tests are.

That is the problem, taking risks without knowing the consequences!!!!

Let's keep the scope of this discussion to the context of this thread, which is 20 somethings. The death rate for 20 somethings is a fraction of a percent, barely above zero. In fact they are just as likely to die of a car accident as Covid19. In fact of the 20 somethings that get Covid19, 80% of those are asymptomatic, they don't even know they have it.

Those facts tell me this is not an illness that 20 somethings should be hiding in hole for, else if it is, then we need to take away the keys from all 20 somethings.

Let's keep the scope of this discussion to the context of this thread, which is 20 somethings. The death rate for 20 somethings is a fraction of a percent, barely above zero. In fact they are just as likely to die of a car accident as Covid19. In fact of the 20 somethings that get Covid19, 80% of those are asymptomatic, they don't even know they have it.

Those facts tell me this is not an illness that 20 somethings should be hiding in hole for, else if it is, then we need to take away the keys from all 20 somethings.
Right, the main problem with lockdown, masks mandates, etc... is that people are trying to treat this like we're all 85 and have compromised immune systems. Yes there are outliers, but as you said these are fractions of fractions of a percent.

...and probably are healthy and fine, as are 99.99 percent of all young people that get it. Getting it may be a blessing at that age.
Several have fallen to severe loss of conditioning and strength, not to mention potential long term damage.

Top Bottom