STrib: Gophers look ready to invest more in Ben Johnson's coaching staff

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The Gophers' hiring Monday of former Xavier and Minnesota assistant Ben Johnson ensured they'll pay less for their next men's basketball coach. But it doesn't necessarily mean they're going the cheap route.

Johnson will have a bigger salary pool for his assistants, athletic director Mark Coyle has hinted. Adding more experienced coaches to the staff could be critical for a first-time head coach at any level.

Potential assistant coaching candidates for Johnson: Dave Thorson (Colorado State), Jared Nuness (Baylor), Kyle Green (Northern Iowa).

Go Gophers!!

Hey, Nuness is a hometown guy who recruits Minnesota well but has no head coaching experience. Why didn't Coyle hire him?
He couldn’t even get his cousin to go to Baylor. Maybe maybe him assistant head coach?

I can't find anything definitive on this... Was the whole staff let go with Pitino? or are they still under contract and would be interviewing with Ben to see if they stay?

Just think how much more they would have invested in getting star assistants if they weren’t paying Johnson close to 2 million. It isn’t like he would have turned down 1.1-1.2 million

Any of the insiders on here heard anything on assistants or how soon we might hear something?

Why Conroy? Time to move on from him, in my eyes. If it’s to keep Liam, fine. But if Thorson is here then there’s no need for him.
basically for me would be for both keeping Liam. But also having 2 experienced guys in Thorson and Conroy would be great for a guy with Johnson.

We have the local recruiting covered with the head man. Whoever is added to staff should not be redundant. I hope we find someone that has good contacts in a region not covered by Ben.

Top Bottom