STrib: Gophers football lingered after Iowa win to take in the moment . . . and Floyd, too

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

Gophers players rushed the north end zone to retrieve and revel with Floyd of Rosedale, the 98-pound statue of a prized bronze hog that now will spend a year in Dinkytown. Fleck, after his postgame duties were completed, returned to the field in the empty stadium to take it all in. Veteran players like sixth-year senior center Nathan Boe remembered those Gophers who came before him.

"We've won the axe [Paul Bunyan's Axe against Wisconsin] and now we've got the pig, finally," Boe said. "This one goes to all the people that I've played with over the years that didn't have that opportunity — Conner Olson and Sam Schlueter, Daniel Faalele, Blaise [Andries]. All my best friends. They're blowing up my phone right now."

The postgame celebration on the field lasted for roughly 20 minutes, then it moved to the locker room. Like after any win, Fleck body-surfed atop his players, but this version meant more. When a few players moved to a nearby interview room, the smoke of victory cigars was apparent. The Gophers milked the celebration for all it was worth, and that shouldn't be surprising considering the opponent.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom