STrib: Gophers coach P.J. Fleck worried NIL deals will have negative impact on recruiting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

hen the NCAA last year loosened regulations so that student-athletes could earn money off their name, image and likeness (NIL), college sports entered uncharted territory. How the newfound freedom of NIL would play out was uncertain, and soon some programs found ways to exploit the situation.

Promises of specific NIL money to recruits and programs using NIL to attract transfers are two of the issues that have developed. Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren on Tuesday called for federal legislation to address NIL.

"I am disappointed that we still have to operate with these various patchwork of laws from a state-level standpoint,'' Warren said. "We need federal legislation to help put in some guardrails to make it even cleaner, to make sure name, image and likeness is not used as a recruiting inducement.''

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck supports NIL and the financial help it can provide players but wants more clarity in regulations.

"NIL, the reason why it was brought in, I 100 percent agree with,'' he said during Big Ten Media Days. "I think the players should benefit from NIL. How it's used in recruiting is a different storm. The [transfer] portal has been a different storm — how players are leaving teams and how players are being recruited off teams.''

Go Gophers!!

Money talks and we all know what walks.

Gee, ya think Fleck was "worried" about how Oregon boosters directly violated NCAA rules by inducing Irving to transfer to Eugene with promises of big NIL deals?

Yeah, I guess ...

"Row The Boat" does not stand up against 25K NIL offer. Just as PJ was reaching his stride the rules changed and he got left behind.
Kind of a bleak outlook. :)

25K deals won't be the norm as most teams won't have the lunatics out there offering that kind of money to players. Fleck won't get left behind in all this because he has shown a real willingness to adapt but obviously we all realize that MN also won't be in a position to compete with the high dollar NIL schools.

Roster construction was already a really tough job but these changes in the past few years have made it 1000 times harder for coaches because now they have to work way harder to retain players on their current roster while also going out and trying to find new players to replace the outgoing ones.

A mess now and going to be a bigger mess down the road. Coach burnout is going to be higher also as while recruiting took a toll before, it's really going to be a toll constantly recruiting (keeping) the ones that you have in addition to recruiting for the future.

What will the world do when the multi million dollar roster cannot beat one that has no money? Money helps the potential but does not guarantee the wins.

Top Bottom