STrib: Gophers coach P.J. Fleck focusing on Ohio State, opening opponent in 2021

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

The opportunity is playing one of college football's traditional powers in a home game that will be televised nationally on Fox. In what's expected to be a season of returning to normalcy after COVID-19 altered the 2020 college football landscape, Fleck is hopeful that the Gophers (3-4 in 2020) can fill TCF Bank Stadium for a visit from the Buckeyes, a team expected to be the highest-ranked visiting opponent in a Minnesota opener since No. 2 Texas Christian in 2015.

"What I want to be able to see is, hopefully and if it's safe enough, a full sellout, and a third straight home game as a sellout for the opening game Sept. 2,'' Fleck said, referencing the Penn State and Wisconsin games that closed the 2019 home schedule, before the coronavirus wiped out attendance last year. "We have an elite opponent coming into TCF Bank Stadium.''

Go Gophers!!

Mo up the middle and quick slant patterns.....Only two plays we need.

And a goal-line play for Big Dan. I was thinking something like this:

It's the 4th quarter, late in the game, 3rd down and goal for the Gophers inside the 3 yard line. Bring out your normal 5 offensive lineman, Tanner, and 5 receivers, at least one of whom is a solid blocking TE and stretch the field out wide with the receivers. Run a pass play that's either incomplete or a TD. If it's incomplete, don't let the defense sub. Make them keep all those DBs out there and immediately put Big Dan in the backfield, have the blocking TE take his place at RT and have him run it behind the left side of the line.

What about the TE's?

qbXfLGo.gif

I'm more concerned about stopping (or even slowing) OSU's O. Lack of depth at DB, lack of pass rush (besides Mafe), and the extremely underwhelming play at LB last year don't inspire confidence. I think the D will be much improved, but I'm already having visions of Olave taking multiple short passes for long gains.

Top Bottom