STrib; Gopher Hockey Attendance Rebounds

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

The image was striking, and frankly, embarrassing for the Gophers men's hockey program and the Big Ten.

The Gophers were host to a 2019 Big Ten tournament quarterfinal series against Michigan, and most sections of 3M Arena at Mariucci were roughly 10% full when the puck dropped, while others had fewer than 10 spectators in seats. The announced attendance was 1,835.

That gathering represented the low point attendance-wise in recent Gophers history, and that 2018-19 season saw the program draw an average of only 5,325 tickets scanned per game during Bob Motzko's first year as Gophers coach.

Fast forward four years, and from those ashes has risen a skate-wearing phoenix. Gophers hockey is back to being a big on-ice success and a strong box office draw.

Through 16 home games entering this weekend's final regular-season series against Ohio State, the Gophers have announced seven sellouts at 10,000-seat Mariucci, and Saturday's game against the Buckeyes will make it eight. Friday's game also is nearing a sellout.

They finally realized it's better to have bodies in the arena and started selling heavily discounted tickets to youth teams.

That's a really small part of the increase. The reasoning is fairly simple, winning brings out fans.
The group ticket factor is not small. They have been winning at a pretty good rate for the past few years, but not selling out.

It's multiple factors (as the article indicates).

Last edited:

That's a really small part of the increase. The reasoning is fairly simple, winning brings out fans.
Show me any data you have that says that's the case. The only way to check it will be looking at total ticket revenue by year and comparing with the pre-covid years. Higher tickets sales does not necessarily mean more income, but for the fans it's the right decision. Supply and demand.

Speaking personally, this was the first year I bought single game tickets in quite some time. I bought them as part of the "Black Friday" sale.

Speaking personally, this was the first year I bought single game tickets in quite some time. I bought them as part of the "Black Friday" sale.
My attendance increased 100%. Other than 2020-21 I have gone to 1 game a year for like 5-6 years. This year I went to 2.

If it works out, I would like to check out a playoff game.

I'm another good example. After leaving the WHCA, I basically lost interest in the team. Last year when I saw they were off to a 10-0 start, I decided to tune in again. After seeing the quality of play on ice, I decided if Minnesota is only going to offer me one good sports team, I might as well follow it. I've watched every game in the last year and a half. I'm attending both games this weekend in person.

Minnesotans are starved for a championship, from any team, and this is obviously the program most likely to deliver that. None of our pro teams appear to be championship contenders now, gopher basketball is a mess, and gopher football, while I'm thrilled with everything PJ has done, is never going to be a regular national contender. Win games/championships, and fans will follow.

Yo had us at "I bought them". Considering season tickets for next season. Will be kind of tough doing both football and hockey (time and cost).

Watched more this year than any season since the B1G started, including tonight's game. This is a really fun team to watch. It'll be kind of weird to see them on smaller ice next year.

Watched more this year than any season since the B1G started, including tonight's game. This is a really fun team to watch. It'll be kind of weird to see them on smaller ice next year.
Smaller ice is more skilled and exciting

Smaller ice is more skilled and exciting
I agree, but at the same time, I kind of enjoy the contrast that comes with the wider rink. just a different game.

It'll be weird getting use to the new row numbers

Yo had us at "I bought them". Considering season tickets for next season. Will be kind of tough doing both football and hockey (time and cost).
The time is the biggest factor for me, especially in terms of a Full Season ticket (twice per weekend) on top of football tickets.

If they do "Half" packages again, I will consider it next season.

The time is the biggest factor for me, especially in terms of a Full Season ticket (twice per weekend) on top of football tickets.

If they do "Half" packages again, I will consider it next season.
In college, we split them for Friday and Saturday nights. Good deal and realistic time commitments.

Going to need a great marketing push to fill up Mariucci again for the playoffs. Tons of seats available. But last year it would have been about the same this far out and it was an arena record attendance and record number of scanned tickets: 10,252.

Last edited:

Going to need a great marketing push to fill up Mariucci again for the playoffs. Tons of seats available. But last year it would have been about the same this far out and it was an arena record attendance and record number of scanned tickets: 10,252.

Did not realize one could already buy a championship game ticket - many others probably thinking the same thing. The semi-final game may be a tough sell, especially if the team is someone like MSU or PSU. If Michigan is here for the final I predict a sellout.

Last year's semifinal had surprisingly good attendance considering it was the same night as the state championship game.

I remembered last year they increased the student section from three sections to five sections, which obviously helped the turnout. So it will be incredibly difficult to match last year. I don't know why they didn't keep that this year or even just go with four student sections.

On the bright side, already filled between the blue lines. $20 is a really good price point. Hopefully when the time/opponent is announced they will move.

I'm going. Can't wait.

Looking at the seating chart now, down to about 50 seats available on the Student/Double Attack Zone side of the the arena.

Still plenty on the other end, but inventory steadily moving. Maybe 1200 left? Just a rough guess.

At some point for both games I'm sure they'll open up more student tickets if needed for them to fill in any remaining open seats. They may be doing that already.

At some point for both games I'm sure they'll open up more student tickets if needed for them to fill in any remaining open seats. They may be doing that already.
At one point were there Student Sections on both ends of Mariucci Arena or am I misremembering?

At one point were there Student Sections on both ends of Mariucci Arena or am I misremembering?
Yes, and if I recall the band was on the east side of the arena. Having a split student section always seemed weird.

Yes, and if I recall the band was on the east side of the arena. Having a split student section always seemed weird.
Odd, but I like the idea of having students to taunt the opposing goaltender in the 2nd Period (and potentially OT). Probably better overall to have 1 big section.

At Old Mariucci/Williams Arena it felt like students were scattered in all 4 corners of the arena.

It was between 2009 and 2011 that the secondary student section across the arena was moved.

The band was already where it is now at that point.

Top Bottom