STrib: Gable Steveson qualifies for Olympic Trials but is still suspended from Gophers wrestling

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Gophers wrestler Gable Steveson has qualified for the 2020 U.S. Olympic trials even though he hasn’t been able to practice or compete with the University of Minnesota team since June.

Steveson, an Apple Valley native, remains under investigation in Hennepin County on suspicion of criminal sexual conduct.

He qualified for the trials by winning the 125-kilogram freestyle class last weekend at the Bill Farrell Memorial International Open in New York City. He defeated Dominique Bradley 4-1.

The trials will be held April 4-5 at Penn State. Winners at the trials will join the U.S. Olympic team in Tokyo next summer.

In a recording posted on flowrestling.com, Steveson spoke from New York about the result. “It feels real good,” he said. “I mean, I’ve been working hard these past few months, getting my body back right, eating all the good things. This is one of those competitions to get me ready for the Olympic trials. I’m looking forward to being at Penn State in April and hopefully get my Olympic spot.”

Back in Minnesota, Steveson remains suspended from the Gophers as the season is about to ramp up. He was expected to be a star this year as the U prepares to play host to the 2020 NCAA championships at U.S. Bank Stadium in March. In 2018-19 as a freshman, Steveson went 35-2 and finished third at the NCAAs.

Go Gophers!!

Does anyone have any kind of idea about what the law says for how long a person can remain under investigation by the County, without charges being brought or the case dropped??

I don't recall it ever having taken this long, for football or basketball players.

Clearly not happy about this and I wouldn't think he is either. Hopefully he is getting intelligent communications from someone to stay positive.

Does anyone have any kind of idea about what the law says for how long a person can remain under investigation by the County, without charges being brought or the case dropped??

I don't recall it ever having taken this long, for football or basketball players.
To attempt to answer my own question, I guess it is simply the state's statute of limitations.

And in Minnesota, for criminal sexual conduct, it is 9 years.

can wrestlers transfer without sitting out. Maybe swap Gable for Kerkvliet and both wrestlers get to compete next semester?

No inside info, but this sort of reminds me of the Royce White situation, albeit with more serious allegations. Law enforcement knows that time is on their side with student athletes who have seasons to prepare for and time clocks ticking on eligibility, so they can just wait while the pressure on the suspect builds. This creates an incentive to cooperate in the investigation or enter a plea. It also acts as a punishment for a suspect who they might think did something wrong, but who they don't feel they have enough evidence to charge or convict.

both Steveson and Martinez were released June 18 with no charges filed. Doesn't this suggest that the suspensions are only with respect to the University's investigation?

both Steveson and Martinez were released June 18 with no charges filed. Doesn't this suggest that the suspensions are only with respect to the University's investigation?

The article says the Hennepin County Attorney’s investigation is ongoing (or at least that they haven’t announced that it’s ended).

Charges weren't files on June 18th. The investigation can remain active as long as the state's statute of limitations allows (years).

So at some point, the school has to decide if it wants to allow them back on the team, with no charges having been brought in several months.

To attempt to answer my own question, I guess it is simply the state's statute of limitations.

And in Minnesota, for criminal sexual conduct, it is 9 years.

This would be correct. You would hope someone at the U would work to find out if this is an active investigation, but who knows.

per STrib:

Gophers wrestler Gable Steveson has qualified for the 2020 U.S. Olympic trials even though he hasn’t been able to practice or compete with the University of Minnesota team since June.

Steveson, an Apple Valley native, remains under investigation in Hennepin County on suspicion of criminal sexual conduct.

He qualified for the trials by winning the 125-kilogram freestyle class last weekend at the Bill Farrell Memorial International Open in New York City. He defeated Dominique Bradley 4-1.

The trials will be held April 4-5 at Penn State. Winners at the trials will join the U.S. Olympic team in Tokyo next summer.

In a recording posted on flowrestling.com, Steveson spoke from New York about the result. “It feels real good,” he said. “I mean, I’ve been working hard these past few months, getting my body back right, eating all the good things. This is one of those competitions to get me ready for the Olympic trials. I’m looking forward to being at Penn State in April and hopefully get my Olympic spot.”

Back in Minnesota, Steveson remains suspended from the Gophers as the season is about to ramp up. He was expected to be a star this year as the U prepares to play host to the 2020 NCAA championships at U.S. Bank Stadium in March. In 2018-19 as a freshman, Steveson went 35-2 and finished third at the NCAAs.

Go Gophers!!
V

The University of Minnesota Athletic department does not value Olympic caliber athletes.

The University of Minnesota Athletic department does not value Olympic caliber athletes.

They never really have. There was a time way back in the day when Gopher Track teams were among the best in the nation, but they haven't come close, as a team, for 6-7 decades now. They just never invested any money towards upgrading facilities or hiring the caliber of coach who could have gotten top athletes to come here. But maybe it's not worth the investment? Do Olympic athletes make lots of money and end up becoming big time supporters of their alma mater?

But saying that, we let our Revenue sports go to shit, too. Cept hockey. But thankfully the U has smartened up. Not sure if it was The B1G that pressured them or worked on convincing U Admin people of the financial benefits, or if seeing the bowl money coming in increase and/or seeing the money the BTN brought in? My memory thinks a lot of the credit might need to go to President Yudof? Seems it was him who brought in Glen Mason and was in charge when the decision was made to build the new outdoor football stadium. It was around that time that several sports started thriving, although some of that may have been coincidence, as J Robinson was here before Yudof but just didn't succeed right away. He would have succeeded earlier had 2 of his best wrestlers not gotten injured just before the B1G tourney. They were ranked like #1 in the nation before losing those 2, but finished 2nd-4th in the B1G Tourney and then missed the Top Ten at the NCAAs? That was in like 1993 or 1994?

But back on topic, lol, it's not like we hired the best swim & dive coach we could, either? It's like we only hire former Gophers or native born Minnesotans to coach our Olympic sports. If it wasn't for our hockey Olympians, we'd rank as one of the worst producers of Olympic medalists among the P5/6 conference schools.

They never really have. There was a time way back in the day when Gopher Track teams were among the best in the nation, but they haven't come close, as a team, for 6-7 decades now. They just never invested any money towards upgrading facilities or hiring the caliber of coach who could have gotten top athletes to come here. But maybe it's not worth the investment? Do Olympic athletes make lots of money and end up becoming big time supporters of their alma mater?

But saying that, we let our Revenue sports go to shit, too. Cept hockey. But thankfully the U has smartened up. Not sure if it was The B1G that pressured them or worked on convincing U Admin people of the financial benefits, or if seeing the bowl money coming in increase and/or seeing the money the BTN brought in? My memory thinks a lot of the credit might need to go to President Yudof? Seems it was him who brought in Glen Mason and was in charge when the decision was made to build the new outdoor football stadium. It was around that time that several sports started thriving, although some of that may have been coincidence, as J Robinson was here before Yudof but just didn't succeed right away. He would have succeeded earlier had 2 of his best wrestlers not gotten injured just before the B1G tourney. They were ranked like #1 in the nation before losing those 2, but finished 2nd-4th in the B1G Tourney and then missed the Top Ten at the NCAAs? That was in like 1993 or 1994?

But back on topic, lol, it's not like we hired the best swim & dive coach we could, either? It's like we only hire former Gophers or native born Minnesotans to coach our Olympic sports. If it wasn't for our hockey Olympians, we'd rank as one of the worst producers of Olympic medalists among the P5/6 conference schools.
If you type "like" one more time, I may do one of the bits in "Airplane". ?

If you type "like" one more time, I may do one of the bits in "Airplane". ?

Are you, like, fing, like serious? I mean, like, I wrote THREE whole, like, paragraphs and not one, like, use of the word "like" in like either of the first like 2 paragraphs, and, like, only used the word "like" twice, and not until, like, the 3rd paragraph, so like, I mean, come on man, like, how lame are you, like, how petty to, like, focus on, like, just a very, like, minimum use of, like, one of the most, like, common words in, like, the English language? So, like, just like chill out man, like, ok?

35-4 Iowa. Steveson with the major decision, thank God.

Last edited:

Not sure why I started watching the match, but I did. And I just could not turn away.

I knew Steveson would win, at the end. So I had to stay for that, just to at least see the Gophers not completely and totally embarrassed.

There is no point in having a team title, when Iowa just steals the best players from other programs (the 144 guy from Missouri).

Top Bottom