STrib: Former Gophers standout Damian Johnson rising quickly through coaching ranks

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Damian Johnson retired from pro basketball in 2016, but that hasn't stopped him from schooling some of his Benilde-St. Margaret's players this winter.

"I challenge them every day," said Johnson, who won the first Metro West title in program history this season. "They hate hearing my mouth when I'm playing because they know I'm just going to talk. They don't want to lose to me because it's extra conditioning."

Go Gophers!!

Last edited by a moderator:

per Marcus:

Damian Johnson retired from pro basketball in 2016, but that hasn't stopped him from schooling some of his Benilde-St. Margaret's players this winter.

The 6-foot-7 former Gophers standout might not be in the shape he was as a starting forward for Tubby Smith in 2010, during a surprising run to the Big Ten championship game and NCAA tournament.

But one of the keys to Johnson's turnaround with Benilde-St. Margaret's has been his presence to heighten the competition in practices. Players are pushed to match his intensity, especially on defense.

"I challenge them every day," said Johnson, who won the first Metro West title in program history this season. "They hate hearing my mouth when I'm playing because they know I'm just going to talk. They don't want to lose to me because it's extra conditioning."

The Red Knights were 5-21 before Johnson arrived a few years ago. Following a shortened COVID-19 season, they finished 18-10 last season and second in the Metro West. They improved to 23-4 after Wednesday's section 6AAA quarterfinal win vs. Hutchinson at home.

Four of BSM's top players are underclassmen, including the state's No. 1 player in the 2025 class, Jalen Wilson. Sophomores Jaleel Donley and Abu Keita are Division I prospects. And freshman Christian Wiggins has potential to play in college as well.

Johnson started his coaching career as an assistant at Eden Prairie while still playing pro overseas, but he traded his jersey for the clipboard for good when North St. Paul hired him as head coach in 2017.

In his three seasons, North St. Paul went 56-22 overall and 41-7 combined in conference play, which included winning two Metro East titles. That successful culture carried over to BSM.

"Getting that start at North St. Paul really prepared me for this coaching," Johnson said. "I was able to learn and grow over there and we won at the same time. So, it helped me learn and do a lot of the behind-the-scenes things. Now I'm comfortable and I know exactly what to expect."

Johnson sounds like a savvy veteran, but he's 36 years old and has been a high school coach for only six years. His goals at one time included pursuing a college position, but now he also dreams of winning state titles and stacking up victories to become one of the state's top prep basketball coaches. He got his 100th win on Feb. 1.

One of his assistants at North St. Paul and Benilde-St. Margaret's has been Aaron Robinson, who played for the Gophers under Dan Monson from 2001-05. He's been a valuable player development coach and more.

"He's someone I trust and can rely on," Johnson said. "We always bounce stuff off each other. That's been great for me."

Go Gophers!!
Pipeline Please

I don't doubt for a minute that he switched jobs because his new gig was closer and more convenient to his home, but BSM gives him a chance to win state titles in a way NSP didn't.

I also believe him when he says he doesn't have ambitions to coach in college. He's a young parent, and he's seen first hand what a college coach's life is like. But you know what, he'll have opportunities if he wants them. He's already one of the top HS coaches in the state, and his coaching acumen includes learning from the excellent coaches he had when he played pro ball. He's well rounded, including that he's an exceptional leader.

And how has that gone for Ben? Your argument is actually proving my point.
Lol, it wasn’t the strongest endorsement by me saying it wouldn’t be the worst decision.

I mean, they could give BJ an extension.

I just couldn’t see DJ not bursting an artery if his players didn’t work up to his expectations on defense!

are ben and damian related?

What’s the contempt for Thorson? My guess is he has as much or more to do with inroads to local recruiting than Ben.
He was supposed to be the defense guy and our defense hasn't really improved imo. I don't wanna get rid of Thorson as much as I like the idea of a younger, hungrier, DJ coming in. If he would want the job that is.

great to see him succeed! BSM has lots of talent coming through......a pipeline to the gophers would be amazing

What’s the contempt for Thorson? My guess is he has as much or more to do with inroads to local recruiting than Ben.
I think it’s easier to point the finger at Thorson because we all know who he is but how much input or what roles do Kemp & Jenkins play? Never see much from them during timeouts of the live games I attended or the mic’d up games as well

He was supposed to be the defense guy and our defense hasn't really improved imo. I don't wanna get rid of Thorson as much as I like the idea of a younger, hungrier, DJ coming in. If he would want the job that is.
I get it. The bad defense has been perplexing. Not sure the reason, but it is discouraging.

One question…is DJ a great coach or does he have an abundance of talent - I read the article yesterday and am going from memory now, but doesn’t it say that he has the top ranked player in the state for 2025, along with 3 other d1 recruits on the team (so 4 d1 players)…

This would most likely make it one of, if not the most talented teams in the state. How much is coaching versus how much of that great record is tied to the huge talent gap and BSM’s recruiting ability?

And I liked DJ as a gopher player.

One question…is DJ a great coach or does he have an abundance of talent - I read the article yesterday and am going from memory now, but doesn’t it say that he has the top ranked player in the state for 2025, along with 3 other d1 recruits on the team (so 4 d1 players)…

This would most likely make it one of, if not the most talented teams in the state. How much is coaching versus how much of that great record is tied to the huge talent gap and BSM’s recruiting ability?

How was North St. Paul before he got there?

https://t.co/1dhtkaEN10 KSTP ran this story last night
Here's their tweet.

I've been keeping track of their record, but other than Wilson, I haven't known too much about them. According to DJ in the interview, four of their five starters are freshmen and sophomores, and the other one's a junior, so this thing is going places.

You can tell that Johnson loves his job and loves his players.

I believe N St Paul is in the metro east conference, which doesn’t look like a bunch of world beaters… if this was tartan of the early 2000s, they would be good, but not anymore

View attachment 24499
I mean while at North St Paul his squads beat Wayzata, DeLaSalle, Maple Grove, Chaska amongst others. Those kids are talented but we can say the same about Novak, Oxton or Wayzata’s coach as well

all valid points.....but dont discredit what it takes to get that high end YOUNG talent to play together and to focus on the team and not themselves......heavy minutes going to Freshman & Sophmores with a little upperclassmen mixed in

of course coaching is always easier when you typically have the 2 best players on the court.

you can tell players like him....which in todays world, especially high school, that is one of the most important things.

i went to their game agains Alex, i think it was both teams first game of the year. But you can just tell that the community and players love that he is the coach.

Our defense was night and day from the start of the year to the beginning. Battle improved a ton from last year. Team defense had some leaks but they got better. They need to recruit a guard that can pressure the ball better.

I think it’s easier to point the finger at Thorson because we all know who he is but how much input or what roles do Kemp & Jenkins play? Never see much from them during timeouts of the live games I attended or the mic’d up games as well
You can hear Thorson yelling the other teams plays during the games on TV lol.

Top Bottom