STrib: Eric Kaler earns 'commendable' grade as University of Minnesota president

The morals of the students didn't matter at the time to lots of people, only legality. Now Kahler's morals matter? Seems odd.

I mean, I shouldn't have to spell this out but no guilt of a sexual assault was ever found. There were allegations that didn't go anywhere and a memory-challenged and story-changing woman that told the police at first she wasn't sure if it was assault or not. Sounds like the Atlantic article, no?

If you want to argue about morality of all involved, fine, but that's another discussion.

On the other hand we know what the President did and didn't do. It's sad MN's flagship public institution is not a calming voice for upholding civil rights and free speech in this and other areas. I don't recall hearing him call for allowing the process to play out. I remember him stating it was obvious the sexual assault training failed.

That's not his call, or his place.

He is teaching students some activities are criminal assault that are not defined as such under the law of the land, causing confusion.

He is actively promulgating unsupported science in the same manner, both to students and staff, because it fits a political agenda.

Agreed.

He is the most engaged president the U have had. Don't forget that under his watch GOpher Athletics is moving forward greater than we've ever seen before.

Credit goes to multiple people, but his unwavering support for athletics is instrumental.

I don't recall a time where there is more sense of mission and direction in improving and promoting Gopher Sports.

Nobody in their right mind liked the way the handling of Claeys' termination went including me. But, we've got two very promising coaches in Pitino and PJ Fleck. Let's hope we can keep them both here long term.

The handling of Claeys' firing is the only black mark that I see in Eric Kaler's tenure so far.

I must have missed all those NCAA championships when I was taking a nap.

Seriously - let's temper the enthusiasm for a moment. Gopher Football was - at one time- among the top programs in the country. They won national championships. Before we roll out "greater than we've ever seen before," maybe we should wait for, I dunno, maybe at least a division title, or playing for a conference championship. Which, by definition, would still not be greater than we've ever seen before.

And Men's basketball, while showing promise, has not recently equaled what was accomplished in the past. Like winning conference championships, or, I dunno, winning an NCAA tournament game.

It's perfectly fine to say that you support Coyle and Kaler and their vision/direction for the athletic program, without making over-stated claims.

When where you born? I am talking about the modern era 1970's and beyond.

When where you born? I am talking about the modern era 1970's and beyond.

I was born in 1955. And even the 1970's and beyond includes for Men's Basketball: Conference Champs in '71-72 and '81-82. Conference runners-up in '72-73 and '77-78. Not to mention several Sweet 16 appearances, an Elite 8 and a Final Four. It happened. I watched it. NCAA be damned.

You were the one who said greater than we've seen before. If you want to quality that to "since the 1970's," then fine. That works for Football. But there is more to Gopher Athletics than Football. J Robinson may have fallen from grace, but the Wrestling program was a national power. And, some guys named Herb Brooks and Don Lucia won some hardware with the men's hockey program.

You've got a point there Sonny. My bad.

Top Bottom