STrib Editorial Board: It's time to shut down the Big Ten football season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib Editorial Board:

The Gophers now have just one regular-season game left, plus a Dec. 19 divisional crossover game. Although the Gophers appear to have more COVID cases than the rest of the league's teams, by shutting down the entire conference now and canceling the postseason the Big Ten would send a strong and educational message that the risks vastly outweigh any rewards of playing on.

It's also critical to note that the virus could spread from football programs to the broader communities in which schools are located. The nation is in the midst of an alarming surge of COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths.

The Minnesota Department of Health has "not identified any community cases associated with the Gopher football team, but that doesn't mean we might not in the future," a spokesman said on Tuesday.

Dr. Dan Diekema, director of the division of infectious diseases at University of Iowa College of Medicine, had lauded the conference's August decision to postpone football. When the conference reversed course a month later, he was critical and told NBC News it was not safe to play.

"Nothing has happened since I gave that interview that would change my view — in fact the COVID-19 activity across the Midwest (and in other areas of the country) has worsened considerably, making it even more problematic," Diekema told an editorial writer this week.

Go Gophers!!

Probably would make sense. However people don't want to listen to the experts. We live in a selfish country.

Last edited:

Is B1G athletics a big spreader of COVID?

Probably not.

There aren't that many activities.

TV money says no. They'll play as many as they can.

Ohio St will play this weekend, to ensure its spot in the CFP, if nothing else, and will play in the CFP.

The rest of the teams, get as many games as you can on TV, so long as you can muster a decent, safe team.

The Gophers now have just one regular-season game left, plus a Dec. 19 divisional crossover game. Although the Gophers appear to have more COVID cases than the rest of the league's teams, by shutting down the entire conference now and canceling the postseason the Big Ten would send a strong and educational message that the risks vastly outweigh any rewards of playing on.

It's also critical to note that the virus could spread from football programs to the broader communities in which schools are located. The nation is in the midst of an alarming surge of COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths.

The Minnesota Department of Health has "not identified any community cases associated with the Gopher football team, but that doesn't mean we might not in the future," a spokesman said on Tuesday.

Dr. Dan Diekema, director of the division of infectious diseases at University of Iowa College of Medicine, had lauded the conference's August decision to postpone football. When the conference reversed course a month later, he was critical and told NBC News it was not safe to play.

"Nothing has happened since I gave that interview that would change my view — in fact the COVID-19 activity across the Midwest (and in other areas of the country) has worsened considerably, making it even more problematic," Diekema told an editorial writer this week.

Go Gophers!!

Now that the Strib has opined, I know my view. Keep it open, keep it going. Thanks Star & Sickle news for helping me define my world view.

The STrib has really gone downhill for me. I don't care that they are main stream/liberal/whatever hot words you wanna throw out. I think they have shitty writers, poor takes/reasoning and their sports section is abysmal. Their beat writers are horrendous.

Is B1G athletics a big spreader of COVID?

Probably not.

There aren't that many activities.
Unless the 40 people in the Minnesota program that got it all got it from outside the program....that’s a pretty clear yes

The STrib has really gone downhill for me. I don't care that they are main stream/liberal/whatever hot words you wanna throw out. I think they have shitty writers, poor takes/reasoning and their sports section is abysmal. Their beat writers are horrendous.
It feels like there is just a lack of ... effort.

Their main writers, even those who used to do well just seem to phone it in / write the weakest click-bait they can find.

And on the internet there will be an article about "FIREY CRASH OUTSIDE STAR TRIB HQ" and ... not a single photo. Like guies, at least send someone with an iPhone to take a pic and send it in.....

Other articles just are so curt that the most obvious questions ... don't even seem to get asked. I wouldn't wonder if they said "we tried toget a statment but they didn't respond" but some of the articles are "wait there's more to this did anyone wonder what before they printed!!?!?!"

It feels like there is just a lack of ... effort.

Their main writers, even those who used to do well just seem to phone it in / write the weakest click-bait they can find.

And on the internet there will be an article about "FIREY CRASH OUTSIDE STAR TRIB HQ" and ... not a single photo. Like guies at least send soeone with an iPhone to take a pic and send it in.....

Haha. Very true. Every article is like that.

The Athletic plucking some talent from the STrib/AP hasn't helped them. I know money is tight but cameras are cheap. Get someone to freelance big events or have interns do it. I don't care, its really mediocre work. And they are still better than any other paper in the state that I am aware of.

Thanks for posting bleed.

The Big Ten doesn't need to be a paternal messaging service. They already have a risk averse process. The messaging can just be to develop a process so we can move forward. Not shrink from every challenge because it is hard.
It isn't critical to note a small risk, that hasn't been realized in months of operation.

The Nation is in the midst of the predicted surge in the virus, Strib ed board. everyone was told ad nauseum this spring that this was coming. We prepared processes and should continue moving on as best as we can.

Strib - this isn't saying anything about the specific risk..... it's simply noting that the absence of evidence, does not equal, evidence of absence. However, that statement is always true, not just here and lends no support to the Strib's point.

thanks strib for finding chicken little..... oh, the sky is still falling... oh, ok, thanks.

The Strib editorial board is really patronizing us. This editorial says nothing, and contains nothing that supports their point, sans empty rhetoric.

Director of the division of infectious diseases at University of Iowa College of Medicine

Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota

It's so obvious that such people have no credibility, whatsoever, and don't know jack squat about this virus.

For most of the time there has been the internet, the Star Tribune was my internet home page. Always. A handful of years ago, I not only ditched them as my home page but canceled my subscription to the online service for the paper. It's gone into the toilet over the last 4-6 years or so, just a terrible situation

For most of the time there has been the internet, the Star Tribune was my internet home page. Always. A handful of years ago, I not only ditched them as my home page but canceled my subscription to the online service for the paper. It's gone into the toilet over the last 4-6 years or so, just a terrible situation
And now your homepage alternates between OAN and Newsmax.

Agreed.My dad subscribes and will until they stop producing papers or he dies, whichever comes first, so I use the online login from his account. Use to use it A LOT now mostly local news that I’m interested in but its maybe an article a day

FWIW - Souhan also had a column where he said college basketball should suspend its season until sometime in 2021.

It really gets down to priorities, or what people feel are important.

I get into this on the HS level. Some people think that, if a HS goes on distance learning, that their athletic teams should continue playing. Others would reply that, if the situation with covid is not safe enough to allow kids to attend school in person, then those same kids should not be taking part in group activities such as sports.

The different with D1 and Pro sports is TV money.

right or wrong, D1 and pro teams are financially dependent on TV money, and make decisions that may be based on financial considerations as opposed to strictly health and safety considerations.

The Big Ten doesn't need to be a paternal messaging service. They already have a risk averse process. The messaging can just be to develop a process so we can move forward. Not shrink from every challenge because it is hard.

It isn't critical to note a small risk, that hasn't been realized in months of operation.

The Nation is in the midst of the predicted surge in the virus, Strib ed board. everyone was told ad nauseum this spring that this was coming. We prepared processes and should continue moving on as best as we can.

Strib - this isn't saying anything about the specific risk..... it's simply noting that the absence of evidence, does not equal, evidence of absence. However, that statement is always true, not just here and lends no support to the Strib's point.

thanks strib for finding chicken little..... oh, the sky is still falling... oh, ok, thanks.

The Strib editorial board is really patronizing us. This editorial says nothing, and contains nothing that supports their point, sans empty rhetoric.
I like this post

Director of the division of infectious diseases at University of Iowa College of Medicine

Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota

It's so obvious that such people have no credibility, whatsoever, and don't know jack squat about this virus.
Nice, you fell for a several thousand year old rhetorical device - also known as a logical fallacy.

When someone "appeals to authority," check to see if that matters..... In this case, from the quote alone, we can quickly tell there is missing context. We can also evaluate when experts are speaking about their specific expertise. Since he is not discussing his area of expertise (infectious diseases), his expertise is only tangential.

But ATSgopher, he is speaking about infectious disease.

No, this article is Risk Vs Reward of continuing the big ten season. Yet, it really makes no actual foray into said subject matter. Thus, we pick at the author for "mailing it in." The evidence the article presents runs contrary to their preconceived conclusion, but the author actually tries to spin that to his advantage - see my "Evidence of absence" critique.

This pretty much nails it, across the board. Very well stated, Sir

Nice, you fell for a several thousand year old rhetorical device - also known as a logical fallacy.

When someone "appeals to authority," check to see if that matters..... In this case, from the quote alone, we can quickly tell there is missing context. We can also evaluate when experts are speaking about their specific expertise. Since he is not discussing his area of expertise (infectious diseases), his expertise is only tangential.

But ATSgopher, he is speaking about infectious disease.

No, this article is Risk Vs Reward of continuing the big ten season. Yet, it really makes no actual foray into said subject matter. Thus, we pick at the author for "mailing it in." The evidence the article presents runs contrary to their preconceived conclusion, but the author actually tries to spin that to his advantage - see my "Evidence of absence" critique.
.... what, precisely, was missing?

So appealing to a known expert or authority is bad.
So the next time you have chest pain and left arm pain do not go to the ER but see what Facebook or Qnon have to say.

The initial decision to postpone the season was the correct one but the leadership couldn't hold the line against people like (insert name here). Predictably, the 2020 B1G football season has been an utter farce; a slimy bloody Covid turd-burger.

So appealing to a known expert or authority is bad.
So the next time you have chest pain and left arm pain do not go to the ER but see what Facebook or Qnon have to say.
Are you on some type of medication that would preclude you from operating heavy machinery or operating a motor vehicle?

Top Bottom