STrib: Donors to Gophers face a decision: Give to the school or to the athletes?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This is absolutely an issue that is going to plague many athletic departments. There's so much emotion around NIL and let's be honest, it's more exciting and an immediate gratification to give money to sign a new free agent than it is to give to a general athletic fund that may build administrative offices. There is only so much money each donor is willing to give, and this is a massive new expense line that didn't exist a few years ago, at least not legally.

Per Day:

Separate but together​

The Golden Gopher Fund sits within the larger University of Minnesota Foundation and doesn't just help finance major campaigns like building Athletes Village or Huntington Bank Stadium or remodeling Mariucci Arena. Donors contribute annually for things like financing overseas trips for teams, paying for recruiting trips for coaches, buying new equipment or funding scholarships.

They brought in $45.1 million in donations in 2023 and $40.5 million in 2022.

In the early days of NIL, there was a sense among donors who wanted to throw money at players immediately that U administrators were dragging their feet in getting donor money directed toward Dinkytown Athletes. The Gophers don't deny that initial hesitation, said Dusty Clements, a deputy athletics director at Minnesota who has overseen the Golden Gopher Fund since 2017.

"Initially it was a little taboo I guess is the word? Like a four-letter word," he said.

Dinkytown Athletes isn't even trying to compete on their fundraising level, co-founder Rob Gag said. This year's goal is $5 million in donations. He said they have three or four donors like Klas, and those people have been instrumental in helping them cultivate more robust donor relationships.

"It's been a massive challenge," Gag said.

Part of that is institutional — even if the University of Minnesota athletics department or Golden Gopher Fund wanted to share donor lists and phone numbers, the U's legal department has said it's not allowed — and part of that is educational.

"I am used to failure ... with sales my whole life," Gag said. "I have never had no's like I did with NIL. People are warming to it but the people you need to sell, the demographic, is over 65. They have most of the money. They are just slow to warm on it."

"The collectives that are most successful, it's not from the collectives being incredible sales people, it's because they're in alignment with the university's foundation, they're in alignment with the athletics department's foundation, and the dollars flowing that way."

The Gophers and Dinkytown Athletes are trying to show that alignment to donors. As Klas put it, "Quite frankly the separation of church and state has become a pretty thin line."

Go Gophers!!

the U of MN can be "holier-than-thou" at times when it comes to athletics. there is a cohort in the Administration and Faculty that just does not want to be seen as a "football school" or a school that puts sports above academics. some of that goes back to some of the 'scandals' under Muss, Dutcher, Clem and the sexual assault mess under Claeys.

but holding back donations to sports is not going to boost donations to academics or research. in fact, the opposite is true. as Wisconsin showed when they made their changes under Alvarez and Shalala, a successful athletic program typically results in higher donations to all aspects of a school.
if the Gopher football team won a conference championship or played in the Rose Bowl, you would see overall donations to the U of MN go up across the board.

It’s probably not surprising older fans are aghast at the new semi-pro model, or reluctant to engage in what some might call sham business deals. Outside of tax considerations school donations can also be more visible which is important to many. Pride, peer pressure factor, legacy.

Given the realities of how far things have fallen, how fast the best option for everyone in moving past this regrettable era would be some sort of collective bargaining entity or entities representing college players for a cut of tv revenue, say 50% and one that enables a restoration of sane pro-competitive rules sanctioned and enforced by a governing body unafraid to throw their weight around and one immune to the arbitrary Sherman Antitrust Act of 1892. The AD may actually need your donations to plug bloated budget holes.

When the economy is terrible direct donations go down for everyone. People tend to donate more frequently & with a higher amount to causes one can direct where the money is used. Difficult to receive donations for the non-needy. PJ > Kill.

If I am donating direct, I am donating to what matters, sciences and research. If it has to be an individual then it would be a kid wanting to do something that will benefit this country's quality of life and defense.....sciences and technology. The athlete gets a free education via scholarship, why would anyone give money to an athlete to come to your school? It's messed up people. There should be decision to face, give to the school so those non-scholarship students benefit too.

If I am donating direct, I am donating to what matters, sciences and research. If it has to be an individual then it would be a kid wanting to do something that will benefit this country's quality of life and defense.....sciences and technology.

Dig ding ding! Looks like Jason Stahl finally chimed in.

The athlete gets a free education via scholarship, why would anyone give money to an athlete to come to your school?

This can't be a serious question, unless you've been living under a rock for a while? The answer is, it's the same reason we give them free room and board - because we think it'll help us win games, duh.

There should be decision to face, give to the school so those non-scholarship students benefit too.
Decisions usually involve multiple options, but you only gave one. Not really much of a decision if you're telling people what to do ("give to the school").

I guess if I was going to donate to athletics, it'd be to a NIL program where I knew where the money was going. In the grand scheme of things, I just can't see how that makes any sense either.

There are a ton of causes way more in need than Elijah Hawkins or Braden Carrington.

If I am donating direct, I am donating to what matters, sciences and research. If it has to be an individual then it would be a kid wanting to do something that will benefit this country's quality of life and defense.....sciences and technology. The athlete gets a free education via scholarship, why would anyone give money to an athlete to come to your school? It's messed up people. There should be decision to face, give to the school so those non-scholarship students benefit too.
You are not taking into account the positive effect on my mental health when the Gophers are playing well and winning games.

The article and many people assume the two options have to be mutually exclusive. They are not. I went to the UofM paid my tuition and some of my tax dollars go to the university so I’ve not been compelled to give to the U - just my choice. However I give to several organizations that are meaningful to me for various reasons. UofM football has historically receive fairly little from our donation fund but if I see the team making good use of NLI I think it’s likely I’ll increase that. While big donors have likely carried gopher NLI to date, success on the field will draw in small dollar donations. Something like 1/2 of all Minnesotans have gone to the UofM or have a close relative that has gone. If that can be tapped…

How much endowment money does the U have? Most universities are swimming in money and charging students an arm and a leg, only to watch their campuses overtaken by ideologies that are childish and violent. Sorry, but the U is just to damn liberal for me. My money is going to the athletes. Sorry for the rant.

I personally don’t believe a word that comes out on anything NIL-related due to obvious number inflation BS, hearsay, and laughable pressure sales tactics but IF true some interesting numbers here

Heinrichs, a former University of Iowa golfer, mistakenly thought when he helped to launch the Swarm in May 2022 that there would be at least 10,000 members by now.

But instead, there are just approximately 2,900 members in the Swarm Collective, including only 400 that are football season tickers holders.

“It’s far too low,” Heinrichs said Wednesday in a telephone interview with Hawk Fanatic. “If we’re going to be competitive, we need to have over 10,000 Swarm members for sure.”

….Heinrichs doesn’t have the luxury of reaching out to multi-billion dollar businesses in Iowa, or to billionaires with deep pockets simply because there aren’t many in Iowa, if any at all.

So instead, he would prefer to have a large number of fans pay smaller amounts.

He used an example of a football season ticker holder that spends up to $17,000 for four tickets on an annual basis throwing in another $400 each year for the Swarm Collective.

I personally don’t believe a word that comes out on anything NIL-related due to obvious number inflation BS, hearsay, and laughable pressure sales tactics but IF true some interesting numbers here

Heinrichs, a former University of Iowa golfer, mistakenly thought when he helped to launch the Swarm in May 2022 that there would be at least 10,000 members by now.

But instead, there are just approximately 2,900 members in the Swarm Collective, including only 400 that are football season tickers holders.

“It’s far too low,” Heinrichs said Wednesday in a telephone interview with Hawk Fanatic. “If we’re going to be competitive, we need to have over 10,000 Swarm members for sure.”

….Heinrichs doesn’t have the luxury of reaching out to multi-billion dollar businesses in Iowa, or to billionaires with deep pockets simply because there aren’t many in Iowa, if any at all.

He used an example of a football season ticker holder that spends up to $17,000 for four tickets on an annual basis throwing in another $400 each year for the Swarm Collective.

I empathize with Iowa's Swam group, just like I do for Dinkytown Athletes. I am a big Gopher fan. I support them by buying football season tickets and making a mandatory donation. Unfortunately I don't have a cash tree in my front yard that I can go shake and make donations to every cause I deem worthy.

I know that it is probably against the rules (if there are any rules) but if given the choice to make a mandatory donation to the Gophers NIL or the Scholarship donation I would choose the NIL, but I don't have that option. I guess I am giving about $750 a year to the scholarship fund for a one year rental player that will leave the next year when they get NIL money from the next school.

It sounds to me like even the most passionate boosters from schools like Iowa are pushing back at the concept of supporting what is essentially a pro league.

I find it hard to believe only 400 football ticket holders are members. Sales pitch IMO.

Top Bottom