STrib: Destiny's Teammate's Respond on Social Media

A dictator? LOL, he is actually a very funny guy. He had a very specific plan for success and demanded excellence from every person to reach that level of excellence. People/players were welcome to leave if they didn't want to follow the plan. That is hardly a dictator...but it is an example of leadership.
Running an organization requires the leader to lead and followers to follow. Input from others is welcomed, but don't ever fool yourself into thinking democracy means equity. It doesn't. You get your opinion, but the person in power makes the decision and you live with it. You don't like the decision...leave. Go where you can live with the decision the leader makes.
Coaching and playing are meant to be about fair competition, enlightened leadership, mentorship, teamsmanship, and mutual respect, not iron-fisted generalship and a my-view-or-no-view approach, as you seem to believe. The frequent absence of these qualities on both sides is what seems to account for a good many disaffected coaches and disaffected athletes alike.

Coaching and playing are meant to be about fair competition, enlightened leadership, mentorship, teamsmanship, and mutual respect, not iron-fisted generalship and a my-view-or-no-view approach, as you seem to believe. The frequent absence of these qualities on both sides is what seems to account for a good many disaffected coaches and disaffected athletes alike.
The problem is, your version of "enlightened leadership" may be different than the next person. If your boss isn't "enlightened" then quit and go elsewhere or work within the confines of your role and help enlighten her/him. Whining about it and causing people problems because you aren't getting your way is a poor way to go about your business. It's a method that will almost always get you fired.

Do you view Herb Brooks in the same way as you view Bobby Knight?

Good that Destiny's teammates are showing the young lady some love and wishing her well. Wow. I am still trying to grasp this situation and make sense of it all. Having watched Destiny play (Michigan area) since she was a young baller and my interaction with her in a non-sporting environment, I know that she is a very kind, respectable, and humble young lady. I am shocked by some of the comments that I have read about her on this Forum as well as other Forums.

Do you view Herb Brooks in the same way as you view Bobby Knight?
I don't follow ice hockey and have no opinion about Herb Brooks. And I'm no self-appointed expert on anything in athletics; if others want to admire Bobby Knight, let them do so. We all have the right to an opinion. However, I fail to see what Bobby Knight has to do with the current situation with Gophers women's basketball. I sense a good many posters here adhere to an old guard, establishment approach to sports when we're in a new era in which many student athletes are well-informed, intelligent, and demand their ideas be heard and taken seriously. Why should they have less right to this possibility than others, such as coaches and administrators? The seemingly angry counter argument I hear from some posters is that if the student athletes perceive they'd be treated better somewhere else, let them pack up and go there. It's not so strange that many of them are exercising precisely that right, just as coaches and administrators often do. The coaches and student athletes I admire are the ones who seem best able to view others with respect and dignity. I suspect LW & DP fit that category. Most likely they both feel deep regret for whatever happened.

Top Bottom