STrib: Destiny Pitts scores 50 points in game. Could she be the next Rachel Banham?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jason:

Destiny Pitts, the Gophers women’s basketball highly touted recruit from Michigan, scored a career-high 50 points over the weekend.

Pitts nearly outscored the opponent herself to lead Detroit Country Day to a 78-56 victory against Whitney Young.

Pitts, a 6-foot senior guard/forward, is ranked among the top players in Michigan and top 65 in the nation. She is one of Detroit Country Day's four Division 1 recruits labeled the “Fab 4." The team is off to a 4-0 start and a favorite to win a state championship.

Former NBA star Chris Webber is a Detroit Country Day alum and went on to be a part of Michigan’s “Fab 5.”

Pitts could be the Gophers' next Rachel Banham, who scored 60 points in February 2016 against Northwestern to tie the NCAA women’s single-game scoring record. The 60 points blew by the Gophers and Big Ten’s previous records of 44 and 49 points, respectively.

A few weeks later, Banham scored 52 points against Michigan State to break the Big Ten career scoring record.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ould-she-be-the-next-rachel-banham/407663786/

Go Gophers!!

I also like the fact that she is 6' tall. The BIG usually has some undersized guards , such as Northwestern's Deary, MSU's McCutcheon, and Iowa's Davis. Pitts should be able to help defend against players like this. And in regards to Banham, the current Gophers team really misses a player who can "light it up" like she could. I thought that Wagner might be able to step into Banham's shoes, but it doesn't appear that she'll be able to come close. Wagner's still a good player, but it may be a long time before we ever see another shooter like that in a Gophers' uniform.

Do the Gophers need another Banham? I'm probably taking it too literally, but I wouldn't mind having a more modest dependable scorer with a well-rounded game.

This is a joke right? I guess I am at a loss what more could be expected of this kid? Came back from a torn ACL to lead the team/nation in scoring. Dropped 60 in a game, at times in many games kept the gophers in the game 1 on 5. Still averaged more assists last year with less help than Kelsey Mitchell ever has. Not to forget this is one of the very few kids who stayed loyal to the state of MN. I guess im confused how fans don't have anything but respect for Banham's fantastic personal career.

Do the Gophers need another Banham? I'm probably taking it too literally, but I wouldn't mind having a more modest dependable scorer with a well

Don't get me wrong. I like Banham. Would love to have her on the Lynx.
But dropping 60 isn't team ball. I'd rather have a team where you don't have to rely on one player scoring a ton each and every game. That's more like a team that could win some sort of championship.

Is Michigan still playing 32 minute games, or have they gone to 36 minutes, like Minnesota?

Top Bottom