STrib: Derek Wetmore, Matthew Coller among SKOR North layoffs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

SKOR North content director Phil Mackey said Friday that the digital site, which also broadcasts at 1500 AM, has laid off six people because of financial ramifications of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Derek Wetmore, who has covered the Twins for 1500 ESPN and SKOR North since 2013, and Matthew Coller, who has covered the Vikings since 2016, were let go. Others were radio co-host Ramie Makhlouf, social media brand manager Seth Auger, promotions manager Ross Brendel and digital contributor Jonathan Harrison.

SKOR North relaunched from the former 1500 ESPN in January 2019 using radio, apps, podcast and social media.

“These last 60 days have been really hard on sports media,” Mackey wrote on skornorth.com. “Especially a new brand like SKOR North, which launched just over a year ago. And a recovery isn’t as simple as flipping a switch. It’s unbelievably frustrating.”

Go Gophers!!

That station has had 20 years to create some kind of product.....like goph b-ball.

FWIW - it is my understanding that if your employer applies for and receives assistance through the Payroll Protection Program, then the company cannot lay off people and employees cannot go on unemployment. That is part of the bargain for receiving the PPP funds - that no employees will lose their jobs.

So, the owners of Skor North obviously did not apply for the PPP funding. I wonder why?

As far as the station, I listen to some of their podcasts. They do a weekly Gopher Show, and several baseball-related programs. their whole thing under this new direction was to stress the multi-media approach - not just radio but podcasts, on-line content, etc.

Sucks. I generally like their content. I would think most of them will have the chance to return once sports come back. In the meantime, I can't imagine their ratings are holding up. I still listen but only about once per week instead of 4-5 days because it's way too many movie discussions etc.

FWIW - it is my understanding that if your employer applies for and receives assistance through the Payroll Protection Program, then the company cannot lay off people and employees cannot go on unemployment. That is part of the bargain for receiving the PPP funds - that no employees will lose their jobs.

So, the owners of Skor North obviously did not apply for the PPP funding. I wonder why?

As far as the station, I listen to some of their podcasts. They do a weekly Gopher Show, and several baseball-related programs. their whole thing under this new direction was to stress the multi-media approach - not just radio but podcasts, on-line content, etc.
The PPP funds only cover half of the payroll. Unless you are certain that the down period is temporary, it's not an easy call to keep people around to do nothing, even with the assistance.

Un-used PPP $ need to be paid back over a couple years like a regular loan.
So if the Hubbards got some, and don't use it, they can just pay it back.
What they do use will be forgiven.
A few of these people were probably contractors who wouldn't be covered by PPP.

Top Bottom