STrib: College, prep football in spring is unpopular option, but things are heading that way

Not everyone that keeps social distancing and wears a mask is afraid. I am doing those things to protect others that are vulnerable and i am 80 ! Still golfing and fishing and working the dog for fall hunting.
No I just mean to be on the side of “I don’t think having a football season would be too smart, we don’t want healthy, in shape, athletes to get sick!” Lord forbid we go back to normal or have sports back. I’m golfing, fishing, working, hanging out all without wearing a mask. Hell I was just hanging out with my grandparents at the cabin all weekend, I even gave them hugs. We had about 26 people up there, packed pretty tightly together too. Sure hope none of us “killed grandma” this weekend

The male dancer had HIV.

There are hundred of anecdotes based on the original NYC subway surge. But we know now that the best way to protect the vulnerable is to follow Sweden.
Nick Cordero did not have HIV. No pre-existing conditions according to a recent article. Doesn't make your general hypothesis wrong, just that, yes, some healthy people succumb.

The male dancer had HIV.

If you're referring to Broadway actor Nick Cordero, the 41 year old actor who "died by inches"... You are a bit off-base with that comment. First, he wasn't gay and was married to a woman. Second, he had no pre-existing health conditions. What evidence did you base this comment on?

Nick Cordero did not have HIV. No pre-existing conditions according to a recent article. Doesn't make your general hypothesis wrong, just that, yes, some healthy people succumb.

That very well may all be 100% accurate, but sometimes people have pre-existing conditions they aren’t yet aware of. I’m not suggesting that healthy people can‘t be killed by the virus.

If you're referring to Broadway actor Nick Cordero, the 41 year old actor who "died by inches"... You are a bit off-base with that comment. First, he wasn't gay and was married to a woman. Second, he had no pre-existing health conditions. What evidence did you base this comment on?

Here is a great summary of the great COVID-19 clusterf*#...

What went wrong? It was not a novel virus

Last edited:

No I just mean to be on the side of “I don’t think having a football season would be too smart, we don’t want healthy, in shape, athletes to get sick!” Lord forbid we go back to normal or have sports back. I’m golfing, fishing, working, hanging out all without wearing a mask. Hell I was just hanging out with my grandparents at the cabin all weekend, I even gave them hugs. We had about 26 people up there, packed pretty tightly together too. Sure hope none of us “killed grandma” this weekend
So, if you grandparents catch COVID in 2 weeks and die, will you regret your actions? I'm genuinely curious since you seem so nonchalant about potentially exposing someone to the virus who is in an age group with a high death rate.

Here is a great summary of the great COVID-19 clusterf*#...

What went wrong? It was not a novel virus

This is the most important take-away from the article you posted:

Anyone can publish on "Medium" per our Policies, but we don’t fact-check every story. For more info about the coronavirus, see cdc.gov.

Needless to say, I will be taking "Medium's" advice and rely on the CDC for Covid-19 information rather than the B.S. posted on their website.

Last edited:

This is the most important take-away from the article you posted:

Anyone can publish on "Medium" per our Policies, but we don’t fact-check every story. For more info about the coronavirus, see cdc.gov.

Needless to say, I will be taking "Medium's" advice and rely on the CDC for Covid-19 information rather than the B.S. posted on their website.
I’ve lost quite a bit of respect for medium for the last several weeks.

Seems nothing more than a click bait factory.

So, if you grandparents catch COVID in 2 weeks and die, will you regret your actions? I'm genuinely curious since you seem so nonchalant about potentially exposing someone to the virus who is in an age group with a high death rate.
I’m willing to put pretty heavy money on it that neither of my grandparents get sick of, or die from. covid-19. I’m almost willing to guarantee they won’t

I’m willing to put pretty heavy money on it that neither of my grandparents get sick of, or die from. covid-19. I’m almost willing to guarantee they won’t
Right but that wasn't my question. If they did, however small the chance, would you regret you decision? It's an honest question, I'm not trying to trap you in a gotcha or anything like that.

Right but that wasn't my question. If they did, however small the chance, would you regret you decision? It's an honest question, I'm not trying to trap you in a gotcha or anything like that.
Obvious answer from a tool: of course I would, but I’m going to continue acting as if that’s impossible anyway.

Some people truly are incapable of sympathy/empathy until after something horrible happens.

A fundamental failure of humanity.

If there was total proof that I was the one out of 26 family members that had it and transmitted it to my grandparents directly, then yes. But I don’t have it, so it’s really a non-issue

Obvious answer from a tool: of course I would, but I’m going to continue acting as if that’s impossible anyway.

Some people truly are incapable of sympathy/empathy until after something horrible happens.

A fundamental failure of humanity.
My grandparents could die tomorrow of something totally unrelated to covid. And if I had been social distancing from them, I’d have just lost 4-6 months with them that I can never get back. Do you know how many elderly people are dying alone in their homes? Family members that never got to say goodbye. You must have trouble empathizing with that side of the situation. I prefer to live like tomorrow is never guaranteed. It worked out pretty well back when my Dad passed away.

I could be driving my grandma to a restaurant for her birthday and get us both killed in a massive car accident, should I just not take her out? I mean the risk for a fatal car accident is always there, my guess is it’s more likely than me giving her covid. I should probably not driving my relatives anywhere ever

Last edited:

My grandparents could die tomorrow of something totally unrelated to covid. And if I had been social distancing from them, I’d have just lost 4-6 months with them that I can never get back. Do you know how many elderly people are dying alone in their homes? Family members that never got to say goodbye. You must have trouble empathizing with that side of the situation. I prefer to live like tomorrow is never guaranteed. It worked out pretty well back when my Dad passed away.

I could be driving my grandma to a restaurant for her birthday and get us both killed in a massive car accident, should I just not take her out? I mean the risk for a fatal car accident is always there, my guess is it’s more likely than me giving her covid. I should probably not driving my relatives anywhere ever
Not saying you need to avoid your grandparents, but to say that you are more likely to kill grandma in a car accident than give her COVID is just factually incorrect, unless you are a horrendous driver.

Back to football. My brother (a HS track and CC coach), e-mailed an article to me with a proposal for moving Fall sports to the Spring. this is being talked about.

Not saying it will happen, but if it's being discussed, then it is at least possible.

Another idea is to flip-flop the sports calendar. Have traditional spring sports like golf and track in the fall, and move the indoor sports and football to the spring.

and again, people - it's not about what I like or what you want - the real question comes down to who is making the decision. in this case, the decision on school and sports will be made by state health and education officials - who, by nature, tend to be "cover your butt" types.

Back to football. My brother (a HS track and CC coach), e-mailed an article to me with a proposal for moving Fall sports to the Spring. this is being talked about.

Not saying it will happen, but if it's being discussed, then it is at least possible.

Another idea is to flip-flop the sports calendar. Have traditional spring sports like golf and track in the fall, and move the indoor sports and football to the spring.

and again, people - it's not about what I like or what you want - the real question comes down to who is making the decision. in this case, the decision on school and sports will be made by state health and education officials - who, by nature, tend to be "cover your butt" types.
Again, just cancel it, if it comes to that. Trying to jerry-rig a spring season will just screw things up for the following fall.

It would also overshadow and take away dates, venues, and athletes from the traditional spring sports, which already got screwed this spring. Not fair to double screw them.

Again, just cancel it, if it comes to that. Trying to jerry-rig a spring season will just screw things up for the following fall.

It would also overshadow and take away dates, venues, and athletes from the traditional spring sports, which already got screwed this spring. Not fair to double screw them.
Try telling the kids that.

Can’t begin to express how glad I am that you don’t call any of the shots

Not saying you need to avoid your grandparents, but to say that you are more likely to kill grandma in a car accident than give her COVID is just factually incorrect, unless you are a horrendous driver.
Do you have some stats on how many have died in in car accidents in the same timeframe that covid has been here?

Do you have some stats on how many have died in in car accidents in the same timeframe that covid has been here?
Well, the number of vehicle fatalities in 2018 was 36,560 for the entire year according to wikipedia, and to date in the US there has been about 133K deaths from COVID. I think is a fair assumption to say COVID is currently more likely to kill someone than driving in a car.

Well, the number of vehicle fatalities in 2018 was 36,560 for the entire year according to wikipedia, and to date in the US there has been about 133K deaths from COVID. I think is a fair assumption to say COVID is currently more likely to kill someone than driving in a car.
Completely dependent on what the age of the individual is. Below is the traffic fatalities for all of 2018, as well as the up-to-date Covid deaths, with Flu/Pneumonia deaths shown over the same time period, for reference. This is obviously not apples-to-apples, as the traffic fatalities are for an entire year, but interesting nonetheless.

Traffic fatalities are much more deadly for young people. Covid has been more deadly for older people. Pneumonia and Flu still killing more people than Covid 64 years and under.

Age Range: Auto Fatalities (2018 total)
0-15: 1,196
16-24: 6,087
25-34: 6,733
35-44: 4,989
45-54: 5,136
55-64: 5,380

Age Range: Covid Fatalities/Pneumonia and Flu Deaths over same time period
0-14: 29/276
15-24: 142/298
25-34: 770/1,084
35-44: 1,972/2,320
45-54: 5,488/6,075
55-64: 13,465/16,487

The male dancer had HIV.

There are hundred of anecdotes based on the original NYC subway surge. But we know now that the best way to protect the vulnerable is to follow Sweden.
The dancer had been married to a woman for years and they had a child together.
What you wrote is slander unless you have proof.

And this is the latest analysis of the Swedish experiment.
I hope you statements are irony and the rest of us are too dense to understand that otherwise they show abysmal ignorance.

Well that’s if you believe all 133K deaths attributed to covid are actually from covid. I don’t at all.

The SEC has been trying to move the college football season back into February and March for a couple of decades now. They HATE that practices for outdoor fall sports start in August.

They were pushing for a spring season almost as soon as this started and haven’t really let-up.

The funny thing is, the idea of a spring season somehow being safer runs contrary to what experts are saying.

It would actually be safer to start the season EARLIER (in August) and end it with CCGs on early November. This would be consistent with most schools’ revised academic calendars too.

The male dancer had HIV.

You're trash. I guess you learned to throw completely unsupported "facts" around the internet like your orange-faced buddy

Well that’s if you believe all 133K deaths attributed to covid are actually from covid. I don’t at all.
mjfelton: Can you provide some data to back up your argument?

me: *Provides data*

mjfelton: I don't believe the data you provided.

me:
what_i_expected_arrested_development.gif

mjfelton: Can you provide some data to back up your argument?

me: *Provides data*

mjfelton: I don't believe the data you provided.

me:
what_i_expected_arrested_development.gif
Plenty of scenarios I’ve heard of and personally seen where someone was “assumed to have covid” but wasn’t tested and their symptoms match countless other illnesses. Plenty of terminally ill people that would have died of other illnesses, but were listed as covid deaths. I don’t buy the covid death toll stats

Top Bottom