STrib: Claeys vows to improve clock management after Michigan finish

My impression had been that a whole lot of things were thrown at this staff in just three days, and somewhere,at some point,
something was destined to be missed. They need more time to grease the engine. That was the sort of snafu a new and "rushed"
staff would run into.

I fear thge team will be on an emotional letdown going to the Shoe, because that's college football. The one thing I hope they
take away from the Michigan game is that they are confident they can play with anybody.

Now let's get to a bowl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQl1YNb3dUw

Minnesota Purdue 2001 football game
sorry the quality of the linked video is poor. but you can see what a well coached team can do in 19 seconds, vs the crap we saw on saturday
after that game I remember the Purdue coach saying they practice for situations like this, including snapping the ball on the ref's whistle

Purdue was down 3, had the ball on their own 3, with 19 seconds left. Snapped the ball on the whistle vs waiting

whereas our team started with 19 seconds, got under center at 15 seconds, began motion and snapped the ball at 7 seconds. so instead of 4 tries for a TD, the team gets two.

I guess I'm glad he now knows they erred at the end of the game, after the game he said they ran the 2 plays they wanted.

In general terms, it continues to absolutely baffle me how bad coaches are at clock management, I'm not talking about Claeys but just in general. These guys have been around the games their entire lives, and there were jokes about hiring someone off of this board to be his assistant, but in all reality, I bet most posters on this board would know how to manage a clock better than that. Andy Reid has been an NFL head coach for 15+ years and is completely baffled under 2 minutes every single game.

I'll gladly take that bet if they're also on the sidelines with everything going on at the end of a tight game. It should have been managed better, granted, but statements like yours are beyond stupid and show how little about it you actually know. Just like a couple callers yesterday after the Vikings game criticizing Turner for his game plan. Complete fools but, by golly, one had season tickets so he wasn't pleased with what a guy with Turner's resume was doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQl1YNb3dUw

Minnesota Purdue 2001 football game
sorry the quality of the linked video is poor. but you can see what a well coached team can do in 19 seconds, vs the crap we saw on saturday
after that game I remember the Purdue coach saying they practice for situations like this, including snapping the ball on the ref's whistle

Purdue was down 3, had the ball on their own 3, with 19 seconds left. Snapped the ball on the whistle vs waiting

whereas our team started with 19 seconds, got under center at 15 seconds, began motion and snapped the ball at 7 seconds. so instead of 4 tries for a TD, the team gets two.

I would argue that the situations were completely different. Purdue knew exactly the situation: 0 timeouts, clock doesn't start until the first snap, have to HURRY HURRY HURRY

Saturday night, the confusion began after a replay reversal. Does not excuse the coaches for not having a more efficient plan, whether it be spiking it, or running a play where the snap happens within 2-3 seconds after the clock begins to run. But I think the situations were completely different for it to simply be summed up as "good coaches prepare for every single situation that is possible."

I think what's lost in all of this still is the Gophers did get 2 cracks at the 1 & they couldn't get it done. I think all the talk about the biggest blunder in the history of coaching would be valid had time run out after the 1st play. And a 3rd attempt would have definitely been nice. But they did have 2 chances....and the offense fell just short.

I'll gladly take that bet if they're also on the sidelines with everything going on at the end of a tight game. It should have been managed better, granted, but statements like yours are beyond stupid and show how little about it you actually know. Just like a couple callers yesterday after the Vikings game criticizing Turner for his game plan. Complete fools but, by golly, one had season tickets so he wasn't pleased with what a guy with Turner's resume was doing.

Deal - what's the bet? Should we do a poll to ask who thinks running a 17 second play on 1st and goal at the half yard line w/ 19 seconds + 1 timeout left is optimal clock management? The vast majority of this board would know that is stupid.

PS: I never said I or anyone on this board could coach college football.

i think you summed it up: Purdue knew exactly the situation

and on saturday the Gopher coaches did not. they were unaware, and shockingly so

I'm not a big fan of coaches that believe two tries give them a higher probability than 4 tries. the players may have indeed failed on all four tries, but the coached denied them the last two
in a homecoming game, for a trophy, against a ranked opponent

Any one who knew the clock was going to start would not have called that play, and Claeys clearly knew the clock was going to run (he was yelling at players to hurry up when the official was explaining the ruling post-review). Which leads me to believe Limegrover called the play... Claeys is not blameless, he is the head coach now and should have heard the play call or tried to call the timeout, etc.

I think he absolutely knew it was going to run. Watch the BTN2Go replay starting at about 161:20. During the review of the Wolitarsky catch Claeys makes the "clock is running" gesture with his hands, and from reading his lips it looks like he says something like "It's gonna run."

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My wife, who I love dearly, usually notices and says things during the game like "I wish I could get a latte", "did you see the guy dressed as a Hansen brother?", "what happened to the cannon?", etc. I always assumed she was half-watching the game and would have guessed that there was about a 50/50 chance she knew which team had the possession of of the ball at any given time during the game. Well, I was wrong. I know I was wrong because with about 17-seconds left she yelled "What the hell are they doing, the clock is running!!!"

I envy her because two days later I'm still pissed off and want a public flogging for anyone involved in that last 19-seconds. She on the other hand moved on much more quickly and somehow fully enjoyed the after game fireworks.

I think he absolutely knew it was going to run. Watch the BTN2Go replay starting at about 161:20. During the review of the Wolitarsky catch Claeys makes the "clock is running" gesture with his hands, and from reading his lips it looks like he says something like "It's gonna run."

If so, it just means that Limegrover/Leidner didn't know and called the worse possible play. Either way a communications F-up. Claeys should have called time-out as soon as he realized the issue. It still stops with him.

Deal - what's the bet? Should we do a poll to ask who thinks running a 17 second play on 1st and goal at the half yard line w/ 19 seconds + 1 timeout left is optimal clock management? The vast majority of this board would know that is stupid.

PS: I never said I or anyone on this board could coach college football.

Um ... genius ... look at the statement. Talking about "coaches in general." You made it sound like not only you, but also the posters on this board could do better than even pro coaches and you single out one as an example. Those 19 seconds were effed up. No need to take a poll. Unlike you, I can understand what is written and said as much. Talking about the clueless part of "coaches in general." It's not that they sit there and go, "Duh. What should we do? Um, let's see. What's the score again?"
They know what they're going to do way ahead of us people sitting on our asses watching. The problems arise because there're 11 players on the field and possibly more on the sidelines that all need to be on the same page. When they're not, it wastes time. Again, not talking about those 19 seconds. Talking about the whole premise that you could do better than all those guys who have been around the game all their entire lives. You can't.

the coach is covering for mitch. mitch took too long to run the play. end of story.

the coach is covering for mitch. mitch took too long to run the play. end of story.

That's completely wrong. The play had a bunch of shifts to it. If the players don't at least get set in the decoy formation before moving to the new formation it will be a penalty or completely ruin the "surprise" element. Once the players shift to the new formation, Mitch has to make sure everyone is set before snapping the ball. The play takes a similar amount of time if its Peyton Manning under center.

If we're blaming Mitch for anything, it's that he should have done something prior to the ball being marked for play to lobby for a different play call. That's probably a big ask for a college kid, even a 4th year Junior QB. It is alarming that Mitch didn't know the clock was going to run, but the play was going to take forever regardless.

I also think Leidner is to blame for Mortell and Santoso's bad punts, the defense giving up the go ahead TD on 3rd and long, the Jan Gangelhoff scandal, and the bubonic plague.

I also think Leidner is to blame for Mortell and Santoso's bad punts, the defense giving up the go ahead TD on 3rd and long, the Jan Gangelhoff scandal, and the bubonic plague.

Personally, I blame all of the above on Maturi.

Personally, I blame all of the above on Maturi.

The truth behind this debacle has been mentioned by several different posters, but yes, it all falls on OC Limegrover. Limegrover called a play that requires 7-11 seconds of standing at the line before the ball can be snapped, and he clearly lost track to the reality that the clock would be wound as soon as the ball was set.

Who is not at fault:

1. Leidner, he did not audible into this play and the worst you can say about him is that he should have defied the call and spiked it, changed the call in the huddle or called a timeoiut on the spot. All three options would have been better than what happened.

2. Claeys, he is a DC who is not used to being in this situation, nor does he have a command of the details of the offensive plays, at least with the minimal detail provided through the headset. He trusted Limegrover, Limegrover F'ed up and now he is covering for him.

The worst you can say about Claeys is that at about the 14 second mark he could have freaked out and called a timeout based upon a vague suspicion that the ball should have been snapped by then and it was only going to get worse. Again, he trusted Limegrover who showed that apparently all University of Chicago graduates are not brilliant.

Hell yeah! And let's not forget the Brewster hire. That one really sticks in my craw.

somewhat off topic, but: Mackey and Zulgad were ranting about the end-of-game situation, and the punter switch, and said that should disqualify Claeys from being named as the permanent coach.

Let's review: Gophers go into game as underdog--
playing a ranked team in Michigan--
lost head coach in middle of week--
coaching staff has to re-adjust duties in mid-week--
team falls behind early by 11 points--

despite all that, the Gophers come back, outplay Michigan for much of the game, and came within :19 seconds and 18 inches from pulling off a major victory.

Yes, it stinks they didn't win - but people, including many of the jackwads in the media, are allowing the last :19 seconds to negate everything positive that happend in the first 59:41 of the game.

Mackey or Zulgad - can't remember which one, was calling the game a "debacle." Dead wrong - it was a good game with a disappointing finish. A debacle would have been losing 55-0.

And a guy acting as the head coach for only the 7th or 8th time in his career made a couple of bad decisions. Damn it - he's clearly not qualified, because no one has ever made mistakes early in their career before. (SARCASM)......

arrrgh....... I'm going to bed.

Top Bottom