Strib: Claeys bullish about Gophers defense for 2015

jaymil

Reaction score
Joe C with some more notes, this time with defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys:

I caught up with Gophers defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys today, previewing spring practice, which starts March 3. He was in great spirits and feels very confident about the defense, even though they need to replace Damien Wilson, Cedric Thompson, Cameron Botticelli, Michael Amaefula, Derrick Wells and Co.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/293050601.html

BIG and/or NCAA new rule to make hoops and football Frosh ineligible?? This is the first I have heard of it being considered.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12349646/big-ten-considering-ineligibility-freshmen

Zero chance of this becomming reality. Nothing but a high-horse PR play by the B1G. Shot accross the bow of other organizations (ahem SEC ahem). Bascially, they're just making it known that they have academic standards, don't condone shenanigans, have the students' best interests in mind, aren't in the business of exploiting teenagers for profit.....and we still whipped your butt. It reinforces the idea that the B1G is an elite academic conference, also. There is substance, depth, and sophistication in the B1G. This is a place for the all-around best and brightest....not just the for the kid with fastest 40 time. In my opinion, that was the motive behind this "exploration."

Reminds me of a political campaign ad, or some blatantly fraudulent congressional investigation. You know there is zero substance to it, and it's sole pupose is to define the rolls of the subject, and the competition. Jockeying of position/reputation.

Perhaps they have belatedly realized they kicked out one the pillars of the student-athlete concept when they decided to pay players. An incredibly shortsighted move the attorneys and unionization proponents will use to their advantage.

One of the arguments made for unionization is some athletes spend more time working out, practicing, traveling than on academics. This could be an effort to bolster a defense that no, they actually care about academics.

It would have been much less messy to mandate caps on practice time, etc and NOT pay players. The power five have substantially weakened the student athlete concept and I predict we will see huge changes "nobody could have foreseen". Whocoudanode?

Top Bottom