Strib: Chaz Lucius Blossoms from 14 Year Old Gopher Commit to First Round NHL Prospect

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Sarah McLellen:

Tears filled Tami Lucius' eyes.

She was in the stands of USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Mich., last February to watch her son Chaz play his first game of the season with the U.S. National Under-18 team.

He had been sidelined with an injury, going from a wheelchair to crutches during a months-long recovery that forced him to relearn how to walk.

Over time, this comeback led Lucius back on the ice and to the sport he cherished.

And when he scored in his return to action — the first of two goals on two shots — Tami welled up.

"He never let the injury shake him," Tami said, "and he knew he was going to come back even stronger and better than before."

Lucius is the top-ranked Minnesotan in this year's NHL draft and a projected first-round pick despite getting hurt and playing only a fraction of the season.

But instead of this setback being a roadblock for the Gophers commit, the adversity was the gateway to the next chapter of Lucius' already-unique journey through hockey.

Unique. That's one way to put it when your pops builds both a hockey school and a private arena at the house for your journey.

Unique. That's one way to put it when your pops builds both a hockey school and a private arena at the house for your journey.
It worked…the kid developed into one hell of a prospect. I can’t wait to watch him wear the Maroon & Gold.

It worked…the kid developed into one hell of a prospect. I can’t wait to watch him wear the Maroon & Gold.
Yup if he scores a ton of goals who cares. He needs to stay two years though because we saw what happened to Mittelstadt when he left after one year and was not ready for the pros. He is not an Eichel/Tkachuk type that is ready after one year.

Bonin, why do you seem so down on him. You can't stop drooling over other team's first round pick players.

Bonin, why do you seem so down on him. You can't stop drooling over other team's first round pick players.
Not down on him. Hope he lives up to the hype, but I have concerns about his skating, which is why he will almost surely need two years in college. I don't want Mittelstadt 2.0. I want Boeser 2.0.

Not that it's a positive, but the injury that he had last year may push him back in the draft which would mean he is going to a better team. That could be good in regards to him not rushing his development and might mean it is more likely he stays 2 years in the NCAA.

Not down on him. Hope he lives up to the hype, but I have concerns about his skating, which is why he will almost surely need two years in college. I don't want Mittelstadt 2.0. I want Boeser 2.0.
I want Boeser 2.0, but I'd take another Mittelstadt in a heartbeat. I am of the belief that Casey could have put up big numbers with better teammates. He was just unfortunately placed on one of the least talented Gopher teams in years.

You are correct however that he should have stayed another year. I think sophomore Mittelstadt could have been one of the best players in college hockey.

Credit to Motzko that we are getting 3 years out of Johnson, and at least 2 out of Faber, plus got 3 years of Ranta. Hard to keep high end guys for 4 years, but if we can keep them for 2/3 that will be huge.

Correct. He started playing at a late age. Most players of his caliber have been skating for 4 or 5 more years than him.

He's got the coordination for big time hockey, but not the elite skating.

can't find any info on Lucius not playing vs ND. injury?

Top Bottom