STrib: Charge: Armed retired firefighter attacks, hurls racial slur at former Gophers running back, Tellis Redmon

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

A former Minnesota Gophers football star was called a racial slur during a daylight attack by a white man who fired a gun in a south Minneapolis alley that ended with the suspect's arrest once police persuaded him to drop his weapons, according to charges.

Eric M. Jagers, 54, was charged Monday in Hennepin County District Court with second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and threats of violence with reckless disregard in connection with the confrontation late Friday afternoon in the 4000 block of S. 17th Avenue.

The victim, 44-year-old Tellis Redmon, a running back for the University of Minnesota football team from 1999 to 2001 who is a special education paraprofessional and an assistant football coach for Robbinsdale Cooper High School, escaped without injury despite the gun being fired next to his head as the two fought for the weapon, police said.

story from the Strib:

A former Minnesota Gophers football star was called a racial slur during a daylight attack by a white man who fired a gun in a south Minneapolis alley that ended with the suspect's arrest once police persuaded him to drop his weapons, according to charges.

Eric M. Jagers, 54, was charged Monday in Hennepin County District Court with second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and threats of violence with reckless disregard in connection with the confrontation late Friday afternoon in the 4000 block of S. 17th Avenue.

The victim, 44-year-old Tellis Redmon, a running back for the University of Minnesota football team from 1999 to 2001 who is a special education paraprofessional and an assistant football coach for Robbinsdale Cooper High School, escaped without injury despite the gun being fired next to his head as the two fought for the weapon, police said.

Jagers was arrested that evening and remains jailed in lieu of $100,000 bail. He appeared in court Tuesday afternoon and has another hearing set for May 18. His attorney, Peter Wold, said he would have something to say about the allegations later Tuesday.

At one point during the assault, Jagers told Redmon he was a firefighter and will avoid getting in trouble because he knows police, the charges read. Jagers retired in February from the Fire Department after 24 years, according to city records.

Jagers called Redmon a racial epithet during the altercation, according to one witness and Redmon, the complaint read.

In an interview Tuesday, defense attorney Peter Wold said his client "is dealing with mental health issues that he's going to address" once he posts bail and is released by Wednesday.

(Strib story is fairly long - this is just the first part....)

In an interview Tuesday, defense attorney Peter Wold said his client "is dealing with mental health issues that he's going to address"...

My client is not racist, he's just going through some things.

Please respect his privacy as he and his family deal with this bad hand he's been dealt.

My client is the real victim here.

Guns aren't the problem.

I'm just glad Tellis is reportedly OK.

I have friends, relatives and siblings who have and currently work in the Special Ed space, and those people are built differently, and we can't have enough quality people like that working with those kids.

I believe, for a while, Tellis was the Dean of Students at Edison. The Metro area should be grateful that a shining light like Tellis was not needlessly extinguished. He is another example of someone who came from far away (Grapevine, TX) made Minnesota their home, and made it a better place to live.

Gosh, Redmon was just as good as any of those RB’s we had during Mason’s run…

I’m gonna butcher some of these details, but that kid ran for like 250 yards on 40 something carries against NC State in the micropc.com bowl. Even though we were up by like 20 in the second half, we still lost to a Frosh Philip Rivers. That was the first disappointing loss I remember from Mason

I’m gonna butcher some of these details, but that kid ran for like 250 yards on 40 something carries against NC State in the micropc.com bowl. Even though we were up by like 20 in the second half, we still lost to a Frosh Philip Rivers. That was the first disappointing loss I remember from Mason
Best I could find, below the shame/glory of 2000:

Also, in the year 2000 the Gophers went W Louisiana Monroe, L Ohio (of Miami, OH), W Baylor, L #21 Purdue, W #22 Illinois, W Penn St, W #6 tOSU, L Indiana (after reaching #22), L #23 Northwestern, L wisconsin, W iowa, L NCState

And I'm pretty sure that Glen Mason smiled the whole time and said after the loss to NCState, "Well, it's really tough to win at Minnesota. Is that my phone ringing? Is tOSU finally calling me? No? Well...It's really tough to win at Minnesota."

Sorry to rant on what should be a thread focused on the recovery of Tellis Redmon.

Heal fast, and come back stronger.

This is straight out of the playbook of so many of these types:

At one point during the assault, Jagers told Redmon he was a firefighter and will avoid getting in trouble because he knows police, the charges read. Jagers retired in February from the Fire Department after 24 years, according to city records.

Lock him up, and twice as long for trying to flex this "power". Glad Tellis is OK.

Best I could find, below the shame/glory of 2000:

Also, in the year 2000 the Gophers went W Louisiana Monroe, L Ohio (of Miami, OH), W Baylor, L #21 Purdue, W #22 Illinois, W Penn St, W #6 tOSU, L Indiana (after reaching #22), L #23 Northwestern, L wisconsin, W iowa, L NCState

And I'm pretty sure that Glen Mason smiled the whole time and said after the loss to NCState, "Well, it's really tough to win at Minnesota. Is that my phone ringing? Is tOSU finally calling me? No? Well...It's really tough to win at Minnesota."

Sorry to rant on what should be a thread focused on the recovery of Tellis Redmon.

Heal fast, and come back stronger.
To this day, I would guess we may be the only team who has lost to the Ohio bobcats and beat the Ohio state buckeyes in the same season. Has anyone else ever done that. Odd statistic but one I always liked.

First: I hope that Tellis Redmon is doing well. Second: Mason could blow a lead like few others... I remember hoping that we would not get out to big early leads because we all knew what was coming.

Wow, read about the story, didn't realize I 'knew' the victim. By "knowing" I was a fan of him and have never met him.

Glad to hear Tellis is doing well and by the grace of God, he is safe.

Re/OSU that year....... I was at a professional conference a coupla years later, in Kalamazoo (Western Michigan University hosting). 2003 fall. At the conference banquet that night, I was seated next to two guys from Ohio. We got on the subject of college football in general, and switched to the Big Ten when they found out I came from Minnesota originally and had lived in Iowa at that time like 18 years.

They had very mixed opinions on Coach Mason, one quite favorable and one quite negative.

The one guy had done undergrad at Ohio U. and teased me about the 20-17 Bobcat victory over us.
But what struck me from that conversation at the time was how much trouble the OSU Coach was in. I cannot remember the Buckeye records overall in those years (I am too lazy to look it up). But I distinctly remember the one guy telling me. "With due respect to how well Minnesota has been doing.......in no way, shape or form is it remotely acceptable for OSU to lose to Minnesota. The recruiting advantages are just too much in favor of Columbus/OSU". He wasn't being sarcastic or a jerk - just stating kind of an obvious opinion. I was forced to admit as an avid Gopher fan that most years, I did not expect for the Gophers to beat the Buckeyes.......

He was an amazing RB. After the Gophers started out 2-2 in 2000 he put the following 3 weeks together (all wins):

Illinois 183 rushing yds, 116 rec.
Penn St. 150/35
Ohio St. 118/21.

Also rushed for 211 later in the year in a loss to Wisconsin.

in 2001 had 6 100 yard games (152, 143, 126, 108, 103, 128)

This is straight out of the playbook of so many of these types:

Lock him up, and twice as long for trying to flex this "power". Glad Tellis is OK.

Wild. If mental health truly is the problem and that's the defense that they're going with....confiscate all his weapons immediately. Guy lost his rights to them.

Yes! It was a miserable, sticky South Florida night. In the 4th quarter there were still big holes through which to run, bet Redmon was just too tired to hit them on time. In a preview of a later Mason bowl collapse, the Gophers blew a 24-0 first half lead. Minnesota gave up a touchdown and 2-point conversion on a blocked punt just before halftime, which swung the momentum dramatically. Earlier in the season, the Gophers gagged up a big lead at home to Northwestern. I think they were ahead something like 35-14 late in the 3rd quarter. Awful memories and still vivid.

Re/OSU that year....... I was at a professional conference a coupla years later, in Kalamazoo (Western Michigan University hosting). 2003 fall. At the conference banquet that night, I was seated next to two guys from Ohio. We got on the subject of college football in general, and switched to the Big Ten when they found out I came from Minnesota originally and had lived in Iowa at that time like 18 years.

They had very mixed opinions on Coach Mason, one quite favorable and one quite negative.

The one guy had done undergrad at Ohio U. and teased me about the 20-17 Bobcat victory over us.
But what struck me from that conversation at the time was how much trouble the OSU Coach was in. I cannot remember the Buckeye records overall in those years (I am too lazy to look it up). But I distinctly remember the one guy telling me. "With due respect to how well Minnesota has been doing.......in no way, shape or form is it remotely acceptable for OSU to lose to Minnesota. The recruiting advantages are just too much in favor of Columbus/OSU". He wasn't being sarcastic or a jerk - just stating kind of an obvious opinion. I was forced to admit as an avid Gopher fan that most years, I did not expect for the Gophers to beat the Buckeyes.......
John Cooper was something like 2-13 against Michigan but an OSU buddy told me that losing to the Gophers by 12 in Columbus was an indignity that also played a role in his firing at season's end.

Last edited:

My client is not racist, he's just going through some things.

Please respect his privacy as he and his family deal with this bad hand he's been dealt.

My client is the real victim here.

Sounds incredibly similar to what happened in Nashville, and the Chicago "teen takeover" events lately. You absolutely nailed it

That and said coach couldn't beat "the school up north" ( 2–10–1 record against archrival Michigan).

Yes! It was a miserable, sticky South Florida night. In the 4th quarter there were still big holes through which to run, bet Redmon was just too tired to hit them on time. In a preview of a later Mason bowl collapse, the Gophers blew a 24-0 first half lead. Minnesota gave up a touchdown and 2-point conversion on a blocked punt just before halftime, which swung the momentum dramatically. Earlier in the season, the Gophers gagged up a big lead at home to Northwestern. I think they were ahead something like 35-14 late in the 3rd quarter. Awful memories and still vivid.
I remember Northwestern winning with a "Hail Mary". My brother and I just sat there for like five minutes totally stunned/ in shock.

Top Bottom