STrib: Calls officials didn't make have Gophers waiting for Big Ten's explanation

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

P.J. Fleck pondered the question carefully Monday morning, his economy of words speaking volumes.

The Gophers football coach was asked about two plays from Thursday's season opener against Ohio State in which Minnesota offensive players took hits from Buckeyes defenders that appeared to fall under the targeting umbrella but eventually were not called as such.

"I'm all for player safety — opponents, my team — I'm for player safety," Fleck said.

Fleck added that he sent video clips of the two plays as part of a weekly package of officiating questions he forwards to the Big Ten office. He was waiting for a response from the conference.

The first of the calls in question came on Minnesota's first possession. Quarterback Tanner Morgan scrambled for a 5-yard gain to the Ohio State 46 and was hit by Buckeyes linebacker Teradja Mitchell, who led with his helmet and hit Morgan in the back. Officials originally called targeting, but the ruling was reversed on video review. Had it been ruled targeting, the Gophers would have had the ball at Ohio State's 31-yard line and the Buckeyes would have been without their best linebacker for the remainder of the game.

The second happened with Ohio State leading 45-31 on what turned out to be the Gophers' final possession. Morgan found receiver Michael Brown-Stephens for a 20-yard gain to the Buckeyes 41, and Ohio State safety Lathan Ransom hit Brown-Stephens in the head with his helmet. The play was reviewed to see whether Brown-Stephens fumbled — he did, and Ohio State recovered — but targeting was not added to the review process, and Fleck shared his displeasure with the referee. Had it been ruled targeting, the Gophers would have had the ball at the Ohio State 26 with 3:59 left.

"All I can do is send the clips in," Fleck said Monday.

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully this reassures those that assume nothing is happening behind the scenes because it isn't being actively ranted about to the media. Fleck's hands are tied in that he can't say much in public but you can bet that behind the scenes they are making their displeasure known.

Unfortunately the best case scenario is a pointless apology from the conference and the hope the officials do better in the future (assuming the conference office admits the calls were wrong of course).

Would be awesome if somehow, some way they could get to a point where there was consistent enforcement of targeting in a way that everyone could understand. At this point it is still so all over the map in terms of what is called and what isn't.

The only way they get more consistency is for coaches to start going public with their displeasure with the decisions.
this isn’t a knock against the officials who have a tough job on every play. But the replay decision makers need to be called out, because they have the ability to see it multiple times from multiple angles and slow it down.
helmet contact that results in a player going limp should be the easiest call to make fir targeting, don’t care what player or team they are on. They should be done for the rest of the game.

There must be quite a backup at the league office. I’m still waiting for something meaningful to come out of the OSU targeting of Mitch Leidner on a critical play in the 2015 Gopher game in Columbus. A play that was called correctly as targeting on the field, but wiped away after a review. Game was a 0-0 tie at the time and without the penalty it was a pick 6.

There must be quite a backup at the league office. I’m still waiting for something meaningful to come out of the OSU targeting of Mitch Leidner on a critical play in the 2015 Gopher game in Columbus. A play that was called correctly as targeting on the field, but wiped away after a review. Game was a 0-0 tie at the time and without the penalty it was a pick 6.

hey the B1G did admit they fucked that one up, so we got that going for us

Is the link to something concerning the targeting issue? It just took me to game info on OSU and Oregon..
What would've happened to Ransom (the OSU player who did the hit) if they had ejected him ..................

Admission/apology is meaningless for player safety until those responsible (on the field and in the replay booth) are formally and publicly reprimanded so that is recognized as full fledged error. Otherwise given the precedent established by this non-call in the first week of the season it is almost impossible to call targeting for the rest of the year in the Big Ten. This is the price of obsequious deference to Ohio State.

Admission/apology is meaningless for player safety until those responsible (on the field and in the replay booth) are formally and publicly reprimanded so that is recognized as full fledged error. Otherwise given the precedent established by this non-call in the first week of the season it is almost impossible to call targeting for the rest of the year in the Big Ten. This is the price of obsequious deference to Ohio State.
The price is actually going to be paid by every other team who plays a game officiated by Big Ten referees for the rest of the season. Case in point, Ole Miss and Louisville each had two players tossed for targeting during their game on Monday night. Betcha can’t guess whose conference referees called the game. Nothing publicly will happen to the officials of our game. You can bank on that.

Officials will make up for the missed calls against OSU by adding a few marginal calls against the Gophers in upcoming conference games.

If our B1G leader had any gonads he would clean house with the head of officials down to who hires the replay officials. And don’t use the excuse “well, we won’t be able to find adequate replacements”. B.S.

If our B1G leader had any gonads he would clean house with the head of officials down to who hires the replay officials. And don’t use the excuse “well, we won’t be able to find adequate replacements”. B.S.
I'm sorry, but Ohio State would never permit the house to be cleaned ... Ohio State Privilege might not survive.

Top Bottom