STrib: Caitlin Clark's Former AAU Club Now Has Dominant Minnesota Players

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Before Caitlin Clark became a basketball icon during her record-setting career at Iowa, an important part of her development came in high school with her AAU team — All Iowa Attack.

The AAU program based in Ames, now with 600 athletes and its own state-of-the-art facility, was established well before Clark arrived, and it has continued to thrive since she left.

Several of Minnesota's rising stars are sharpening their skills this summer with Clark's former club team.

"It's pretty cool to play for the same team she did," said Duluth Marshall's Chloe Johnson, one of five top players from Minnesota with All Iowa Attack this year. "She's such a huge role model."

If you get a chance to watch an AAU game at the Fieldhouse in Ames, it's well worth it.
It has an old school vibe to it. It's my favorite venue to watch AAU games.

Clark had 19 assists for a WNBA record in a loss tonight. 24 points.

It's really not a good sign that Minnesota players feel the need to drive many hours to a smaller state in search of better competition.

It's really not a good sign that Minnesota players feel the need to drive many hours to a smaller state in search of better competition.
It is not good at all. I believe NT is putting too much emphasis on one player and it is turning other kids away. I follow NT pretty close. You rarely see highlights of the girl going to Maryland and she is good!! I asked a parent of a NT kid if he thought this could be a reason some are leaving. He absolutely thinks it is. One of the Minnesota AIA players also just left a HS with the player. I am not blaming the player.

Clark had 19 assists for a WNBA record in a loss tonight. 24 points.
She's figuring it out.

She has the potential to be the best player in the WNBA in 2 or 3 years.

On offense, she needs to develop a left hand, improve her 3-point shot (she's only consistently good when she can do her left-footed step back) and limit turnovers.

On defense, she needs a lot of help, especially off-the-ball team defense. She gets lost and drifts.

It is not good at all. I believe NT is putting too much emphasis on one player and it is turning other kids away. I follow NT pretty close. You rarely see highlights of the girl going to Maryland and she is good!! I asked a parent of a NT kid if he thought this could be a reason some are leaving. He absolutely thinks it is. One of the Minnesota AIA players also just left a HS with the player. I am not blaming the player.
North Tartan has a history of this. They really like to focus on “genes”, especially daughters of former players, often to the detriment of other players on the team. And then these players barely make a ripple when they get to college…. A few years ago, several top players ended up on the Fury or Minnesota Stars, and these players proved their talent once they got to college. Yes, they have had successes, but they would be more attractive to all the top players if they gave everybody the same honest look.

Last edited:

Weirdly, the player referred to is driving many hours from Wisconsin to get to Tartan.

Top Bottom