STrib: Big Ten schools reverse trend with more Black men's basketball coaching hires

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

For the first time since the Gophers' Tubby Smith competed against Indiana's Kelvin Sampson on Jan. 17, 2008, two Black men's basketball head coaches will square off in a Big Ten game on Saturday night.

No matter the outcome at Crisler Center, the mere presence of first-year Gophers coach Ben Johnson and Michigan's Juwan Howard will be a picture of progress for the Big Ten in diversity hiring, especially from where the league was not long ago.

"It's great for college basketball," said Howard, who congratulated Johnson when the Gophers hired him on March 22 and has continued to give advice.

"It's great to see," said Johnson, who has the Gophers off to a 7-1 start. "They've done a good job in the Big Ten giving guys an opportunity and allowing them to have success. You've seen that with Juwan Howard. Or even Clem Haskins from back in the day."

Go Gophers!!

Michigans "diversity hire" seems to be working out ok....

I am trying to think of which bt basketball programs have not had a black head coach…. Oh that’s right. It was pretty obvious.

Don’t care. I’ve been a fan since the early 70s and half of our coaches over that time have been black. It shouldn’t matter. I just want the best coach.
Yup. At the end of the day, the fans want a winning program and that's all that matters.

Top Bottom