STrib: Big Ten Conference debates if three-week virus sit-out is proper length or too long

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

There’s a myth about it taking 21 days to form a habit.

There might be new lore about 21 days soon, thanks to the Big Ten.

The conference mandated a 21-day sit-out period for any athlete who tests positive for COVID-19. It was one of several stringent safety protocols, along with daily testing, put in place for the reinstated season after its initial cancellation.

But with a recent outbreak pausing workouts and canning Wisconsin’s game at Nebraska this Saturday — plus Badgers quarterback Graham Mertz reportedly set to miss those 21 days — many have questioned the lengthy policy, both what it means and if it’s necessary.

Go Gophers!!

If 21 instead of 14 was done for the heart MRI stuff, and that stuff has been widely accepted to be - for now - medically (though not scientifically) ambiguous .... then put it back to 14.

And that's me saying that.

That's a terrible headline. It makes it sound like the Big Ten office is debating it but there is nothing in the article to that effect.

That's a terrible headline. It makes it sound like the Big Ten office is debating it but there is nothing in the article to that effect.

Can't read the article but agree that the headline gives the impression that the conference is discussing it. I am sure the rule will get plenty of debate but the season is underway so it is too late to change it now as that would be unfair to any teams that have already been impacted by it.

For example, we don't know if any of our kickers would have been able to play last weekend if the timeframe was 14 instead of 21 days. I am sure other teams probably faced similar issues.

Top Bottom