STrib: Ben Johnson's first summer as Gophers coach short on practices, long on team building; Johnson expects Daniels and Curry to rotate at center

Waaah. my feelings are hurt. I'm never going to post here again.

Seriously - did that insult make you feel better?

Does putting other people down feed your sense of self-esteem?

or, to put it another way, just how big of an *sshole are you?

Look, you're pretty condescending yourself. You just do it with quintessential passive aggressiveness but I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't already know.

Also by July it also seems this staff was pretty much moved on 2022 recruiting. It’s a fair discussion whether that was the right play or not.

Yes, in retrospect it does appear that way. I still find that mind boggling under the circumstances. Perhaps there is some logic to this attitude. In most programs, coaches pretty much get a free pass in season one. He might have even more of a free pass than most because of the circumstances. Maybe if this year is atrocious, improvements in year two will look even bigger.

I hear ya but it’s pretty obvious that Ben wanted fit over anything this year. He was not going to sacrifice culture for talent. That being said, he seemed to be in it on Manley who choose pro (be interesting to see if he can make money). Also by July it also seems this staff was pretty much moved on 2022 recruiting. It’s a fair discussion whether that was the right play or not.
It makes sense. The real impact starts in the next year. He was already so far behind other schools with the HS recruits. That needs to be the focus in order to grow the program.

Yes, in retrospect it does appear that way. I still find that mind boggling under the circumstances. Perhaps there is some logic to this attitude. In most programs, coaches pretty much get a free pass in season one. He might have even more of a free pass than most because of the circumstances. Maybe if this year is atrocious, improvements in year two will look even bigger.
For longevity and program building purposes it made a ton of sense to me. We will see if they can capitalize on it.

FWIW - if Johnson would have given a scholarship to Joe Nobody just because Joe is 6'10" and 260 lbs, the critics would all be posting that "here's another guy who doesn't belong on a B1G roster."

If the Gophs could have found a legitimate big man who wanted to come to MN, he would be in uniform. But, a lot of D1 teams could say the same thing. You can't just go down to the "big men" store at the mall and order one off the shelf.
Are you sure? Matt Painter seems to do it all the time.

Top Bottom